Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-17-2012, 02:15 AM   #1
bigbarrels

East Cape in May

Has anybody ever fished the East Cape in May? My wife and I are going to Rancho Leonero May 18-21 for a quick trip between her Spring and Summer sessions (graduate student). This is my second trip to Rancho Leonero but my last trip was during the summer months. Just curious if anyone has done well down there in May? Looking to get my wife hooked into some big fish and hoping to land my first roosterfish.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
ship 4 brains

Tom-

I went to Rancho Leonero in may last year. We spent 2 days on a panga and 1 on kayak.

2 days of epic billfish fishing. 6 marlin, 1 sailfish and a 50lb dorado on the panga.

We got about 10 roosters from the yaks from about 05:30 to 11:00. Then it got really windy and we came home.

It was an awesome trip. Enjoy.
ship 4 brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
bigbarrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship 4 brains View Post
Tom-

I went to Rancho Leonero in may last year. We spent 2 days on a panga and 1 on kayak.

2 days of epic billfish fishing. 6 marlin, 1 sailfish and a 50lb dorado on the panga.

We got about 10 roosters from the yaks from about 05:30 to 11:00. Then it got really windy and we came home.

It was an awesome trip. Enjoy.

Sounds like an epic time to me I booked the trip for June and was super stoked to be there in June. Then my wife came home and said her break was in May Thankfully those dates worked well with my schedule as well and there was rooms/ flights available. The pictures from previous May trips on their website looked decent.

Thanks again for the input
Old 03-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
seriola_killer
Sled Peddler

You should have some decent variety in May. BTW, there's HUGE amberjack on the reef a few hundred yards out. You could also get a shot at some yellowtail, pargo, cabrilla, some yft if they come in a bit early, and even a shot at Wahoo. The only downside I see with May is the very real possibility of high winds. But you're definitely gonna get some fish. Make sure to take some pics and post 'em up.
seriola_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #5
bigbarrels

seriola killer, thanks for the info. Definitely looks like a mixed bag in May
Old 03-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
GHOSTHUNTR

I was there in May four years ago and caught a great variety of fish from the yak. Everything from look-down pompano to dorado. I would keep an open mind and fish for what's biting at that time, don't get locked into one species, or style of fishing.
GHOSTHUNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
bigbarrels

stoked, wife just told me we are staying for 3 more days.....if that was ok with me Shifts covered and just waiting to hear if they have space for us for 3 extra days.....then changing flight around. Will now do some days on the kayak in addition to the super panga