Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #61
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
For some people it takes a lot of yellowtail to realize that it don't freeze all that good!

They freeze well if you freeze them whole.

For both tuna and Yellowtail I just cut the tails and heads off, gut them then roll them in butcher paper and freeze them whole with the skin on like the Japanese do.

My freezer looks like a stack of logs. When I want to eat one I pull it out cross cut the amount I want to eat that week off with my band saw, and throw the rest back in the freezer.

When it thaws, you cut the skin and exposed ends off its' sashimi quality, and you have a couple of days to eat it before it starts going bad.

Most sushi you eat at restaurants including Hamachi has been frozen, it's all in how you freeze it.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 02-08-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:08 PM   #62
-scallywag-
Banned

I like this post, good points on each side without the "d-nossle" comments (i guess i like those too, but we have BD for that).

I will continue to look forward to the day that I get to release my next YT or WSB.....not because I think it will help the fishery, but for the same selfish reasons most of us fish....its an awsome experiece!! (and because if I'm releasing delisious YT or WSB, either the freezer's full or the bite is WFO and I'm weeding thru the schoolers lookin for my next PB!!).

FREEZING FISH:
I'm pretty sure they (commercial ships) flash freeze the fish to a super low temperature to minimize the amount of sublimation (freezer burn or de-hydration) that occurs, after that the fish are stored and transported in a "normal" freezer where they very slowly warm back up to just below freezing, which could take weeks. As long as the fish in the freezer are colder than the freezer itself sublimation, generally will not occur. Basically the opposite of freeze-drying. So from a scientific stand point I think that vacuum sealing/freezing is still the best way for us, but after reading Jims post I think vacuum sealing/freezing the whole fish would be even better, or more practical, in big chunks with the skin on.
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:14 PM   #63
Pat

I hear a nice flattie was released this morning.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:23 PM   #64
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by -scallywag- View Post
FREEZING FISH:
I'm pretty sure they (commercial ships) flash freeze the fish to a super low temperature to minimize the amount of sublimation (freezer burn or de-hydration) that occurs, after that the fish are stored and transported in a "normal" freezer where they very slowly warm back up to just below freezing, which could take weeks. As long as the fish in the freezer are colder than the freezer itself sublimation, generally will not occur. Basically the opposite of freeze-drying. So from a scientific stand point I think that vacuum sealing/freezing is still the best way for us, but after reading Jims post I think vacuum sealing/freezing the whole fish would be even better, or more practical, in big chunks with the skin on.
With a little advanced preparation and a little money you can easily come up with a close approximation of how they freeze fish on commercial vessels. The advanced preparation is buying dry ice and pre-chilling a cooler before you go fishing. It helps to have the dry ice in the cooler for at least several hours so that the interior of the cooler has been brought down as close to the dry ice temperature as it is going to get. This is also the expensive step. Dry ice is generally about $1/lb and you will probably need 10-20lbs. This works out OK if you know you are going to catch fish, but if you are like me, it could be a waste of money when you don't catch anything. When you get your catch ashore, you should remove the head and tail and gut it. Wrapping in butcher paper would help protect it as well. Just open the cooler long enough to slide the fish in. Once the fish is in the cooler, don't touch it or open the cooler for at least 12 hours. By then it should be rock-hard. If you plan on keeping it frozen for a while, you might want to bag and vacuum seal it before you transfer it to the freezer.

The advantage of the dry ice is that it freezes the fish much more rapidly than a regular home freezer. Evidently, rapid freezing results in smaller ice crystals, which do less damage to cell walls. This will give you a much better texture when thawed. I have done this a few times with YT and halibut and it seems to work very well. Freezing will also kill those nasty parasites, so you can use the fish for sashimi after thawing (even salmon and halibut).

BTW:This is also an excellent way to freeze delicate fruits like strawberry, blackberry and raspberry.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:48 AM   #65
peguinpower
bing!

I think exercising moderation is a good thing. If you want to catch and release, cool. If you want to keep fish, thats good too. Try and not to keep too much.

Sharing your opinion in the hope that it may be considered, freedom of speech is with you on that one.

I don't agree on forcing other people to follow someone elses "morals". Tolerance is a good thing. Tolerance for other people's decisions and choices as well as how much fish they should keep.

This discussion has been civil. Ideas exchanged.
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote