Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2011, 08:50 AM   #21
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
I'd disagree with your brother.

I'd say something has got to give.....

Carbon fast taper rods were designed for mono. They transmit every vibration, and can move fish quicker which makes up for the stretch of mono.

Spectra since it has very little stretch has no give when fish lunges or shakes it's head, so not only do you not need a graphite rod but it becomes kind of a problem..

Combine spectra with a carbon fast taper rod and you not only have a rod that has no give but a line that has no give as well and that results in more torque at the hook, which translates into lost fish. Also in my opinion it's just uncomfortable to fish with.

I've played with a lot of rods with spectra and the best ones are more parabolic traditional glass rods because they have enough give to compensate for spectras lack of stretch. I mostly fish with vintage yellow sabres, black glass Calstars and Kencors. As they work great with spectra.

If you want the best of both try a Kencor Zebra.

Magnaglass construction and a spiral of graphite. Since the graphite flexes like a spring they give you more sensitivity but they are still parabolic enough for spectra.

I collect these and they are fantastic for fishing spectra. I'd recommend a Kencor 7ft Zebra Z7X1030, or if that is too pricey a NZKAYK770C which is their cheaper series. I run Diawa 20s on both those rods.

My buddy Byron can hook you up with them. The true Zebra is about $150 the NZ sells for about $60 now that Kencor is out of business.

I think over time your going to see a resurgence back to more parabolic glass or glass graphite rods in response to the spectra fishing market but these things take time.

Jim
Man Jim, you're like a talking (typing) encyclopedia.
It totally makes sense what you're saying...I guess my bro is right in that you'll feel everything through the line but that may cause me to just rip an empty hook away from willing fish with a graphite rod.

$150 is a bit steep of a rod for me..I got diapers to buy...hence my user name...haha...What is this NZ rod you're talking about?
BrokeLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:05 AM   #22
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeLoser View Post
Man Jim, you're like a talking (typing) encyclopedia.
It totally makes sense what you're saying...I guess my bro is right in that you'll feel everything through the line but that may cause me to just rip an empty hook away from willing fish with a graphite rod.

$150 is a bit steep of a rod for me..I got diapers to buy...hence my user name...haha...What is this NZ rod you're talking about?
The NZ is the NZKAYK770C Kencor. You can buy these for around 60 bucks.

Here's one with a Daiwa 20 that I use for casting at paddies offshore.

Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:17 AM   #23
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Quote:
.....I think over time your going to see a resurgence back to more parabolic glass or glass graphite composite rods in response to the spectra fishing market but these things take time.

Jim
Cool! So, I can resurrect my old 10' Sabre 540 Diamond wrapped personally by the Master "Yo" himself!
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:19 AM   #24
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Talking

Quote:

It seems that Pro Angler keeps getting bigger.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #25
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSledTeam View Post
Cool! So, I can resurrect my old 10' Sabre 540 Diamond wrapped personally by the Master "Yo" himself!
It'll work, big for a Daiwa 20.

Nice old rod... Whats the line class rating on that 540?

Jim
Old 03-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #26
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
It seems that Pro Angler keeps getting bigger.
LOL..

That's actually a really cool small offshore skiff. Blackman diesel 20 Center Console, which actually tapes out closer to 19'6".

Thing sips fuel at troll. We were fishing Marlin that day and fished all over the east end of Cat and burned about sixty bucks in fuel. If I could find that boat in good shape with a diesel I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Jim
Old 03-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #27
bubblehide

@ BrokeLoser, if you do go with an all graphite rod, you may want to use a 50-100 yard topshot of mono, so you have some stretch/give.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:44 AM   #28
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
LOL..

That's actually a really cool small offshore skiff. Blackman diesel 20 Center Console, which actually tapes out closer to 19'6". Thing sips fuel at troll. We were fishing Marlin that day and fished all over the east end of Cat and burned about sixty bucks in fuel. If I could find that boat in good shape with a diesel I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Jim
Thats awsome. I couldnt get out of the harbour on $60.00 when I had my boat.
I will have to keep an eye out for one.

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/me...console-3.html

still available... huuuummmmmm you buy it and I'm good for gas and bait any time.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

Last edited by bus kid; 03-25-2011 at 10:49 AM. Reason: for Jim
bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:03 AM   #29
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehide View Post
@ BrokeLoser, if you do go with an all graphite rod, you may want to use a 50-100 yard topshot of mono, so you have some stretch/give.
Good point.
But what about a kelp cutter rig with only 4ft of mono or fluoro?
Old 03-25-2011, 11:06 AM   #30
T Bone

off the top of my head I can only think of 3 pure graphite rods for the salt: Gloomis,Phenix and Graphite USA.All the others are a composite.

If $$$ wasnt an issue I would get a Super seeker.Glass at the tip and graphite in the backbone.

I had a GUSA and loved it.I lost it in the surf at LJ.It looked like a bass rod but could fish 50# with ease.I caught more than a few 45-60# YFT on it.I had to use 3/8 I.D. Hypolon to make the foregrip just to let you know how small it was in diameter.I loved it.Incredible backbone.The blank was $125 on sale at the FHS but are normally around $160.

Rods are like golf clubs.There is no "do it all model"....

I use that line on my wife a lot when I need new stuff

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #31
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
off the top of my head I can only think of 3 pure graphite rods for the salt: Gloomis,Phenix and Graphite USA.All the others are a composite.

If $$$ wasnt an issue I would get a Super seeker.Glass at the tip and graphite in the backbone.

I had a GUSA and loved it.I lost it in the surf at LJ.It looked like a bass rod but could fish 50# with ease.I caught more than a few 45-60# YFT on it.I had to use 3/8 I.D. Hypolon to make the foregrip just to let you know how small it was in diameter.I loved it.Incredible backbone.The blank was $125 on sale at the FHS but are normally around $160.

Rods are like golf clubs.There is no "do it all model"....

I use that line on my wife a lot when I need new stuff
I just went and checked out those AVET "graphite" rods at big 5...man, they look and feel sweet! I even mounted up my sealine 20 just to see how it would feel. Guy at big 5 said they're 100% graphite but it doesn't specify anywhere on the rod. Anyone know anything about these?
It's the 7' 15-40# sx870 I'm checking out.
Jim, you may have to hook me up with your buddy and an NZ.

Thanks Guys!
Old 03-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #32
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
...still available... huuuummmmmm you buy it and I'm good for gas and bait any time.

I've looked long and hard at that 23 blackman. The hulls a lot heavier, the engine has a bunch of hours on it, it's a single vrs duoprop outdrive, but the main issue for me is the longer trailer, and problems with storage.

That is a very nice skiff though. If it's half as good mechanically as it is cosmetic wise it's a steal at that price.

Jim
Old 03-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #33
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Jim, you may have to hook me up with your buddy and an NZ.
Call Byron 805 400 7239< I just talked to him and he's got the one I like the NZKAYAK770C and the heavier one the NZKAYAK776C. If you tell him you know me, he'll still sell you one of them for $60

Jim
Old 03-25-2011, 12:14 PM   #34
bubblehide

Quote:
Good point.
But what about a kelp cutter rig with only 4ft of mono or fluoro?

I'm glad to see that you got my point, of it not making it a good choice of being a kelp cutter rig; but can still be something nice to have in the quiver.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:17 PM   #35
T Bone

That avet rod is also a composite.When they are 100 bucks they are a good deal though

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #36
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Sabre 540

Quote:
It'll work, big for a Daiwa 20.

Nice old rod... Whats the line class rating on that 540?

Jim
Yo rated it at 20 - 40lb at the full length of 10ft. He gave a rating of 50lb on the high side for the 540s that he trimmed 6 inches off the top. I matched it with an old Shimano Speedmaster IV (6:1) and fished 30#. Had lots of fun jigging yellows and calicos with it. Then I tried jigging for tuna ! The first tuna I hooked yanked the rod right out of my hands! That Albacore Tuna went 57lb!
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #37
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
That avet rod is also a composite.When they are 100 bucks they are a good deal though
Cool, so maybe its better after all that it's not 100% graphite.
For $90 I think I'll check them out
Old 03-25-2011, 04:46 PM   #38
BrokeLoser

Here's the ad on Big5's website...notice they say it's a graphite blank. I wonder if they know what they're talking about.
Here's the link in case it doesn't show in the post.
http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal.c...id=-2084462837

AVET GRAPHITE SALTWATER RODS
YOUR CHOICE
View Larger Image

$89.99
(reg. $159.99)
thru Mar 28

Dual Pattern Graphite Blank!
• SILICONE RING ‘AERO’ SERIES GUIDES
• DOUBLELOCKING MACHINED HOOD

View All Items from this Weekly Ad Specials Page