Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2007, 03:10 PM   #21
dusty

Kayaks launched of a vessel with a mex permit do not need a boat permit. If they were launched off of baja coast you would need a permit. As for mex fishing permits, the boat will usually take care of that before disembarking. Sounds like a blast, might jump on one of those.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:34 PM   #22
martuka
Junior

mother ship?

First off is there any spots left on either trips and second "i can't answer till i know if theres spots left?
martuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:14 PM   #23
Tailwhipped

If the 2008 schedule is up to date, it looks as if there is room on all the trips except for the trip departing on May 16th.
Tailwhipped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:20 PM   #24
Dennis

I went by yesterday... The Todos Santos trip (June 6) is also full.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:18 AM   #25
dorado50

I may have to sell my spot on the May 16 - 18 San Clemente trip. However I won't know until one week prior to departure. If one weeks notice works for you and I can't go I would be willing to sell you my spot. This also goes for the Todos santos trip June 15 - 17. PM me.......
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:43 PM   #26
OEX
Administrator

Islander Trip

May 2nd SCI 12 spots left

May 16th Full

June 6th Full

June 15th Todos 6 spots left

OEX
OEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:22 PM   #27
Habu

The Islander and crew are Great! But had to opt out of the day and a half's, felt I wasn't getting the bang for the buck. Instead settling for the 105's 3 day. Too bad they dont have 2-3 day trips too. And I wish anyone would mothersip June, July or August. Stupid Tuna lol.
Habu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:13 AM   #28
aclozer

Todos!!!!

I have been in on the June 15th trip for a while now. Just counting the days!
aclozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 04:38 PM   #29
sbsyncro

Equipment/Gear recommendations

So I am starting my planning for the Todos Santos trip in early June, and wondering what I need to bring for the trip. Can anyone with experience help me put together my "kit"?

Here's my stick choices:

Quantum M-H 7' spinning combo (usually use it for drop-shotting or throwing plastics). Spooled with 12# Stren mono

Torium on a 7' Sabre Stroker Pro (the $49 Big 5 special) wound with 20# braid and 12# flouro leader

Avet MXL on a Calstar 190 6' MH rod wound with 50# braid and 30# flouro leader

Teeny-tiny shimano Sedona spinner with Shimano 7' rod (my sabiki unit). wound with 10# Ande mono

Abu 6600CX with a7' Abu rod (medium-light) wound with 15# Ande mono line

My tackle consists mostly of live bait gear (1/0, 2/0, and 3/0 circle and octopus hooks, egg sinkers, etc). I have a pretty good collection of Big Hammers in browns and blue/silvers. Also have about a dozen "Trix Jetty Worms" with the big heads and weedless hooks.

I'm pretty light on irons and such - a couple of big krocs and a "buzzbomb" or two. Should I load up on more of this sort of thing?

What is the type of fishing most likely to be? Live bait, plastics, all of the above? What about typical depths and current?

Also, what about clothing - paddle pants and a nylon fishing shirt (with paddle jacket as backup) or full-on waders and paddle jacket? (neoprene or breathable?)

Thanks for any advice!

Brent
sbsyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:46 AM   #30
Dan

Brent. I think you need to define what you're after. I guess the choices are Calico Bass, bottom critters, or big fish such as WSB and YT.

Bring your Hammers and spin or bait casters with light 15-20 for the bass.

If you're going for the biguns, the torium/sabre and the avet will work for ya. Although I'd put braid or heavier line on the Tor.

Bring a sabiki for catching macs, the sardines the boat will provide are great, but not always the best for kayak trolling. 2/0 and 3/0 (by owner sizing) hooks will be good.

As for what you want to throw, iron, spoon, swimmies, whatever you're confident with. If you're not used to throwing iron, a Salas 7X or Tady 45 in blue and white is a good place to start.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:50 AM   #31
sbsyncro

Thanks Dan - your comment is a good one ("it depends what you're after") and guess that strikes at the heart of the question I should have asked. - what will we be after in those waters?

I think I'm pretty well set for calicos (unless the average catch will be a lot bigger than up here in SB, which is about 12-16", but nothing lately...) I have never fished for YT, and never caught a legal hali (gotten shorties casting along shore with Krocs, that's it). The whole "trolling a mac" thing is a mystery to me, as we don't fish for YT or other big, fast pelagics up here.

So I guess the real question is "what species are we likely to be targeting, and in what kind of water?" That's probably the question I should have asked. :-)

Brent
Old 04-20-2008, 06:08 PM   #32
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsyncro View Post

So I guess the real question is "what species are we likely to be targeting, and in what kind of water?" That's probably the question I should have asked. :-)

Brent
Who knows. Be prepared for anything from yt and wsb, to bass and bottom critters. We all hope to slam the wsb and yt, but if they just aren't there be prepared to fish bass or bottom critters. May as well bring 4-5 rods and reels and cover all bases. I think Todos is a mystery to most if not all of us on that trip. Shouldn't be too much different that fishing SCI or the coronados, but I don't know for sure.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:36 AM   #33
SurfFishDiveDog

Rode the Islander this weekend. I am recently retired Navy and looking for second career back on the water. For many of us in the Navy, the longer you stay in, the more you drive desks and computers vice ships and boats.

Learned about Islander on this web site and thought they might be a natural fit touching on my water interests of kayaking, fishing, diving, surfing, etc. Rode them this weekend to see if the “fit” might be too good to be true. If this were poker I’d be all in! If it were before day passes, Islander would be an E-ticket ride for me.

24-26 April SCI trip report: Weather was beautiful, water temp was about 61 and the water was clear and glassy. 18 kayakers on the trip, first one deployed at 6 AM vicinity of China Point and last one picked up about 8 PM vicinity just West of Pyramid Head Light.

Fish take included 3 or 4 Halibut (largest was 40 inches and about 21 lbs), numerous Calico Bass with four or five in the 6 lbs range, numerous Sheepshead, a couple of White Fish and a Sculpin.

Saw some excellent opportunities for kayak free diving and spear fishing.

I think I heard there were about 8 spots open for the 2-4 May SCI Trip. This may be an excellent chance to go on a light loaded trip ….. and support a Veteran (me going back to work).

Take care, see you on the water, >Chris
SurfFishDiveDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:54 PM   #34
sbsyncro

Anyone going this weekend on the Todos Santos trip?

I'm driving down from Santa Barbara for the trip and might need to ask a favor from someone that is going on the Todos Santos trip this weekend (June 6th)

Apparently we need Mexican fishing permits, and I *might* not make it to San Diego before the tackle shops close for the night. If anyone lives near (or is planning to stop by) Squidco and can pick stuff up for me, I'd be grateful (good for a couple of beers on the boat, at least!). I'll pre-pay over the phone so you won't have to worry about that.

Thanks!

Brent
bpchristensen @ gmail . com
Old 06-04-2008, 09:45 PM   #35
aguachico

Quote:
I'm driving down from Santa Barbara for the trip and might need to ask a favor from someone that is going on the Todos Santos trip this weekend (June 6th)

Apparently we need Mexican fishing permits, and I *might* not make it to San Diego before the tackle shops close for the night. If anyone lives near (or is planning to stop by) Squidco and can pick stuff up for me, I'd be grateful (good for a couple of beers on the boat, at least!). I'll pre-pay over the phone so you won't have to worry about that.

Thanks!

Brent
bpchristensen @ gmail . com
Call the info into the landing Fisherman's (i think) - they sell them there. You may need to fax DL and passport copies and have one of the crew pick it up. That way you are sure to have it on the boat.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:46 PM   #36
PescadorPete

let me know what you need

Hi Brent,
Sent you an email. Let me know if I can help out. I was planning a Squidco lunchtime run tomorrow or Friday. Give me a call.
Fisherman's Landing was open while we were boarding the San Clemente trip. But if you want serious hardware, Squidco is the place to go.
See you Friday night
~~~pete~~~
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:27 PM   #37
PescadorPete

Brent, I picked up your stuff today. The rod is a 706 (not a 708). Is that correct?

Pete
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:07 PM   #38
sbsyncro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PescadorPete View Post
Brent, I picked up your stuff today. The rod is a 706 (not a 708). Is that correct?

Pete
Hmm... yea I think that's the one, but now I'm confused. :-) I was looking for a casting rod that would handle the bigger boys like legal-sized halibut and WSB when throwing plastics, but the 706 is the lighter one... No worries if I got it wrong - I have another Daiwa Sealine-X 20SHA that I can throw on the 706 and then pick up a 708 or something like that for the bigger boys. :-)

Thanks for getting it for me!

I can't wait to sit around tomorrow night and learn how to use some of the stuff! :-)

The beers are on me tomorrow night.

-Brent
Old 06-05-2008, 03:47 PM   #39
madscientist

Quote:

The beers are on me tomorrow night.

-Brent
You have no idea how dangerous a comment that is with the crew we'll have tomorrow.

BTW, watch out for Corey, he gets "handsy" after a few.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:00 PM   #40
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Tight lines guys!

Be safe and knock 'em dead!!!!!!!!!!