Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2010, 08:06 AM   #21
MVC

I pretty much do my part by being a crappy fisherman. I never catch anything at La Jolla except Calico.
MVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:06 AM   #22
steveooo

Blast from the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post

I never had any interest in being a sportsman. In some ways, I find the notion of hooking and potentially injuring fish just for pleasure, or "sport", less morally defensible than fishing for meat. Walking around the neighborhood trying to kick cats would be sport as well, but most would say somewhat cruel.

Providing fresh, organic, wild caught, non-netted, non-polluting, non-commercially processed seafood to people you care about, now that's a crime and a horrible example to set!
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:12 AM   #23
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post
Blast from the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist

I never had any interest in being a sportsman. In some ways, I find the notion of hooking and potentially injuring fish just for pleasure, or "sport", less morally defensible than fishing for meat. Walking around the neighborhood trying to kick cats would be sport as well, but most would say somewhat cruel.

Providing fresh, organic, wild caught, non-netted, non-polluting, non-commercially processed seafood to people you care about, now that's a crime and a horrible example to set!

Today 09:06 AM

Interesting perspective Steveoo.

Do you think madscientist was suggesting that if we fish at all, we should kill and take everything we hook because making them fight for a while and then letting them go is cruel, just like kicking a cat?

I can see his point but I just don't agree.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #24
taggermike

This sort of c&r versus cunsumption pissing match isn't helpful to anglers. To our oponents the very act of fishing is the problem. It's not what you take it's the fact that you fish at all that is the issue. Attacking each other doesn't help us but only provides ammo for zero fishing advocates. Obey the regs, eat what you take, and only critisize those that don't do the first 2. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:01 AM   #25
Matt
Support your local pangas

HELL YEAH TAGGERMIKE!!! HELL YEAH!!!

Last edited by Matt; 02-06-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #26
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post

Interesting perspective Steveoo.

Do you think madscientist was suggesting that if we fish at all, we should kill and take everything we hook because making them fight for a while and then letting them go is cruel, just like kicking a cat?

Bob

I don't mean that I have any clue what he was trying to suggest. It is merely a quote that I found amusing when this topic came up several years back. Possibly another perspective to be considered? All i do know is that it has been so long since I've landed a large fish, that the ones I have caught in the past seen to keep increasing in quantity and quality in my mind. Cat kicking does seem decently fun though, so does fishing now that I think of it...
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:05 PM   #27
yani

Did someone say food?
Old 02-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #28
FISHIONADO

I should have been more respectful when I said it was silly. Can I take that back? Some of my best friends are bass fishermen, my sister married one.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:33 PM   #29
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
This sort of c&r versus cunsumption pissing match isn't helpful to anglers. To our oponents the very act of fishing is the problem. It's not what you take it's the fact that you fish at all that is the issue. Attacking each other doesn't help us but only provides ammo for zero fishing advocates. Obey the regs, eat what you take, and only critisize those that don't do the first 2. Mike
AMEN to that!
blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:40 PM   #30
lamb

Oh, the legendary cat kicking analogy...

Bob, I am pretty sure that Madscientist wasn't suggesting anything, just providing his opinion. He loves to fish, like you and I do.

Sure thing that all of us won't agree on C&R subject, or lots of other subjects... Beautiful thing is - we don't have to agree!
Old 02-06-2010, 12:41 PM   #31
lamb

I'd really like to hear what Yani has to say on this subject
Old 02-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #32
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb View Post
Oh, the legendary cat kicking analogy...

Sure thing that all of us won't agree on C&R subject, or lots of other subjects... Beautiful thing is - we don't have to agree!
Well said and I bet we can all agree on that.

Bob.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #33
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
I'd really like to hear what Yani has to say on this subject
I have been waiting for the Darkhorse, BillyV and PAL to chime in.

Bob
Old 02-06-2010, 12:47 PM   #34
FISHIONADO

Quote:
Right on, that's what makes this country and our way of life worth fighting for.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:52 PM   #35
lamb

I hear ya'. You've got to remember - it's not the same for Josh or PAL to chip in on this sensitive subject that seems to divide people, given that they've got professional ties; their words on public forum have different weight than the rest of us.

My bet would be they'd chip in some "politically correct" stuff, long live C&R...

Now Billy V, given just his accent, my guess would be "eat 'em all" club...
Old 02-06-2010, 12:59 PM   #36
Iceman
Administrator

this is the perfect place to voice your opinion, not in someones fishing report, get it off your chest.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:09 PM   #37
driftwood

Quote:
I have been waiting for the Darkhorse, BillyV and PAL to chime in.

Bob
Bob, I can't believe you just did that. Dropping names is never a class act.
you are glutton for punishment. this is how this whole debate got started.

you got your point across... now please stop.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #38
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Do you think madscientist was suggesting that if we fish at all, we should kill and take everything we hook because making them fight for a while and then letting them go is cruel
Fish are fish... people try to project human emotions on them.

Fish are fish, People are people, fisherman are fisherman.

I think anyone who fishes enough is going to run into times when they catch fish they do not want or need. I pretty much release everything except tuna, Yellows and Seabass, though I will occasionally keep lings, rockfish and bass for my friends.

Is it cruel to release fish? I don't think so. Look at it this way. Studies have shown that fish have much longer memories then they used to think and they have found that hook fish will avoid the same type of scenario that got them hooked for a year or more. It's like hey... your not hurting them your educating them... Besides it beats the alternative for the fish, no doubt if they had a vote......

I think the real issue with catch and release is mortality. If your not killing fish and letting it go to waste it's not irresponsable.

I think tail hooked T's probably die so I keep them unless the revive right away. I don't fish white seabass catch and release unless they are in less the 15 ft of water due to the swim bladder issues. Striped bass, yellows, tuna, halibut calicos etc.... I think they all release well as long as you don't handle them, and screw up their slime layer, so I have no problem letting them go.

Rockfish, protected fish, fish that are undersized.... you do what you can, I drop my rockfish back down with a sink rig but who knows if they survive.

Bottom line I think this is a common sense thing. If you are catching yellows all day long, and releasing them... more power to you. The only issue I have with that scenario is if I'm not there to catch them with you.

Just my take though, Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:19 PM   #39
Billy V

I can give you my personal opinion, custom and practice.

I'll try to keep it short.
I have been a hunter since I was 16 years old, rifle, shotgun, and now bow only. For me it was about the hunt and the skills required to stalk, not the kill.
Whether I fired on an animal came down to the circumstances of the moment:
Was it a proper buck to harvest ? Its age ? Is there meat in the freezer ? Was it the trophy of a lifetime, and meet some of the other requirements ? Time of day and distance back to camp ? Was I so enthralled with its beauty and the journey it led me on that It earned the right to survive ?

I have been fishing and crabbing since 5 years old and although I have caught many fish, the same principles apply.

I only take what will be eaten, and what is reasonable to me.
I release alot of fish, and won't take certain species.
Is it releasable, was it injured ? I have to consider the circumstances of the moment.
I try to maintain a balance.

I enjoy watching other people catching fish as much as catching them myself.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:37 PM   #40
FISHIONADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
this is the perfect place to voice your opinion, not in someones fishing report, get it off your chest.
Thanks Andy. I usually keep my mouth shut on these issues but this seemed like a good opportunity to put everyone's opinions on the table. I don't think the C&R angle helps us in the MLPA process. Sustainable consumption is a compelling argument.

Last edited by FISHIONADO; 02-06-2010 at 08:07 PM.