Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2015, 12:44 AM   #1
King Saba

Which cross bar do you use for your kayaks?

Howdy. I'm planning to purchase a longer kayak soon so I'll be needing a cross bar for my car. Currently I don't have a need for it since I can store my 10' kayak in there with no issues. But, for those longer kayaks that could never work. I'll likely be jamming in a new car in the next couple of years so I don't really want to use a cross bar only specific to my car.

I'm looking into getting this type of cross bar. What are your thoughts on them? Do they work well for kayaks up to the 100lb+ class? I don't live horribly close to the salt so I do have to hop on the freeway and go 65+ at times.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0052XTSS0?psc=1

Thank ya'!
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 02:19 AM   #2
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
Howdy. I'm planning to purchase a longer kayak soon so I'll be needing a cross bar for my car. Currently I don't have a need for it since I can store my 10' kayak in there with no issues. But, for those longer kayaks that could never work. I'll likely be jamming in a new car in the next couple of years so I don't really want to use a cross bar only specific to my car.

I'm looking into getting this type of cross bar. What are your thoughts on them? Do they work well for kayaks up to the 100lb+ class? I don't live horribly close to the salt so I do have to hop on the freeway and go 65+ at times.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0052XTSS0?psc=1

Thank ya'!
I don't know if you realized this but when you saw it, but these cross bars attach to vehicles with manufacturer roof rails. like an SUV or a Crossover.
If your looking for something to mount on your car your going to need riser posts (unless you want to chance on denting your roof).
Thule and Yakima (listed in alphabetical order not by preference) are the 2 most popular rack manufacturers (and everyone has their preference).
If however you load/unload your Kayak a lot and might possibly require assistance with your new one (as it will be most likely 20#'s or more heavier) you might want to check out the Yakima series, as there is an accessory called a "BoatLoader" which is an extension bar for the front crossbar which you can rest the front half of your Kayak on then lift the back before mounting to your crossbars or kayak rack (I believe there is a UTube video...search 'loading a Kayak'). To my knowledge Thule doesn't make one of these yet but you should checkout their websites an see the available options that may be suitable for you.
I hopes this helped.
FFY

Last edited by FlyFishinYakr; 02-21-2015 at 03:21 AM.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 02:31 AM   #3
King Saba

Ah, I didn't mention that I do have roof rails on my car but just no cross bar. My bad. Thanks for your advice!
Old 02-21-2015, 06:55 AM   #4
chxh8me

Are your roof rails raised? If so(and you're interested) I have a set of malone autoracks that I'll sell you. I done need them anymore.
chxh8me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:21 AM   #5
RockyRaab

I have a 14" Hobie Pro Angler that weighs over 100 pounds. The secret to easy loading is a pair of Hully rollers bolted to the rear crossbar. This picture shows them on my previous vehicle:

When I bought a new vehicle, I ordered aftermarket crossbars from Thule and installed the rollers. The positioning of the bar meant I had to also fabricate a guide/slide pad to protect the rear spoiler as you see here:

I also made up a block that fits inside the Hobie's Mirage drive well, for added stability. Once tied down, the 'yak can't move in any direction thanks to this block, even a freeway speeds.

A different style 'yak would require a different block design, of course.

Here it is, loaded and ready to boogie...

Happy 'yakking!
RockyRaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:18 AM   #6
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by chxh8me View Post
Are your roof rails raised? If so(and you're interested) I have a set of malone autoracks that I'll sell you. I done need them anymore.
Yep. Sounds interesting. I'll PM you.

Ooo... thanks for the pics and tip RockyRaab. I'll definitely add those mods to the crossbar later on.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:41 PM   #7
Shimano Penn
Junior

Hey I could use those "hully rollers" myself, where would I get them ?
Shimano Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:41 AM   #8
RockyRaab

They're a Yakima product. Should be easy to find.
RockyRaab is offline   Reply With Quote