Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2009, 10:39 AM   #1
B Slate

Is it just me or should they be put in polluted areas too. They can't put one in a polluted area, so they are going to try to take the cleanest and best waters of our coastline. Therefore leaving all of the polluted areas for us to fish in. I don't get this. Shoudn't they put them in the polluted and less fishy areas, so they can see if it actually helps improve them.
B Slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:10 PM   #2
bigderel
UberMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Slate View Post
Is it just me or should they be put in polluted areas too. They can't put one in a polluted area, so they are going to try to take the cleanest and best waters of our coastline. Therefore leaving all of the polluted areas for us to fish in. I don't get this. Shoudn't they put them in the polluted and less fishy areas, so they can see if it actually helps improve them.
STOP MAKING SENSE

My question for every enviro was the same - since the fish are already in peril if the area is polluted - shouldn't they receive the benefit of a closure? Not one had an answer, they all agreed, even a seal lady listening in. Yet the N. PV closure (for instance) continues while the polluted south is free to fish...oh, wait, look up on the cliffs and then go to Zillow to get approximate home values and you'll find your real answer.
bigderel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
Geoffkoop

Damn I was there and thought I was one of the only kayakers there. I wish I would of know you guys were all there to put some faces to the names. When I pulled up i too noticed an overwhelming amount of the Toyota Prius around with Obama, green earth stickers etc. on em. I guess it is Laguna, so not too much of a shock.

It seemed to me that the Opal map or External A gave the most area for LA Jolla? Is this true?

This whole thing just boggles my mind. I cant imagine these crazies closing all of these areas down.

Another question...How come all the enviros look so...well...enviro?
Geoffkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:58 PM   #4
JoeBeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Slate View Post
Seems to me they should concentrate on cleaning these polluted areas before deciding to close others. The MLPA's have nothing to do with water quality. Want a thriving ocean population? Keep the water clean.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
Zed
BANNED

Imagine the looks, "You realize it's your $hit polluting the ocean, right?"
Old 07-02-2009, 08:35 PM   #6
Billy V

Maybe they are going to hire mercenaries

I don't want to get shot by any over zealous privately funded Mall Trooper
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:08 AM   #7
LakersFan

I carry my kayaks on a Jeep but I often drive a more economical car to work and other places. So, I would not necessarily say the parking lot was representative of the attendees. It is unfortunate if the MLPA process develops into an us against them situation with some taking the "enviros vs. fishermen" stance. I think this approach sells the fishermen’s input short. I have always contended that fishermen are one of the most knowledgeable groups of "enviros" there is. They have firsthand knowledge of the water, probably have better knowledge of many aspects of marine life than do many biologists due to their interaction and pursuit of their quarry, and they have an extreme stake in preserving both the habitat and the populations of the fish and other organisms that they pursue. I think of fishermen as the real deal conservationists in the same league as the volunteer divers who replant the kelp. Fishermen are not the wannabees that only know from looking out their cliffside window or who refuse to trace the food that they eat to its real source.

I am a fishermen and I am for conservation of our marine life and for preservation of our right to fish.

We need to take action to preserve and restore our marine life and marine habitats. This action must not ban our right to recreational fishing. I think recreational fishermen should continue to be the conservationists I know them to be. Just look at the ideas offered by fishermen above regarding closing and restoring the dirty areas. Those types of ideas restore my faith that fishermen are "enviros"!
LakersFan is offline   Reply With Quote