Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
SDTribal

suggestion on a rod

Just bought a sealine-x 40hv and need a rod for it. Probably gonna be using 30 # for live bait and jigs for YT/WSB. Was looking at the seeker 670, anyone have any suggestions or of any used rods for sale. Don't wanna spend much more then $100
SDTribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:49 PM   #2
deepdvr

Hit up fishaholic and see if he has a used rod for you.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:25 PM   #3
fishinkid2010

Don't know if you could find one for $100 (keep looking at bloodydecks classifieds), but I just bought a Sealine 40SHV and paired it up with a Calstar GFTR 800 H. It is like a broomstick, and I love it!! If you can find one for $100 I definitely recommend it. The blank alone cost me a bill.
For 30# though, I would recommend a 800M. I personally prefer longer fishing rods, so I like the 8' rods. All up to you though.

The Seeker classic series of rods are also very nice, and a bit cheaper, just go to Squidco and try a few to get a better idea of what you want.
Then keep searching the classifieds, thats your best bet.
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:33 PM   #4
Caballito

deepdvr's right..lookup fishaholic on this sight, he works at Scriips Pier and has a LOT of rods and reels for sale in good shape at a good price!
Old 07-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #5
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDTribal View Post
Just bought a sealine-x 40hv and need a rod for it. Probably gonna be using 30 # for live bait and jigs for YT/WSB....
Personally I don't like spending a lot of money on my Kayak sticks. I also think that the best deals around right now are on Kencors.

The owner of Kencor has been dumping the last of his rods wholesale cheap, so up here in LA there are a ton of good deals on Kencors both the NZ QNZ series.

I'd put that reel on a NZKAYAK770C, A great rod you can buy new for around 60 bucks. I kid you not I bought 6 Kencor rods last week, I've never seen them priced this low.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:36 PM   #6
SDTribal

ended up with a calstar 800m and it is looking pretty sexy
Old 07-01-2010, 08:42 PM   #7
fishinkid2010

Quote:
ended up with a calstar 800m and it is looking pretty sexy
Good pick
Factory wrap?
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:34 PM   #8
Billy V

Quote:
Just bought a sealine-x 40hv and need a rod for it. Probably gonna be using 30 # for live bait and jigs for YT/WSB. Was looking at the seeker 670, anyone have any suggestions or of any used rods for sale. Don't wanna spend much more then $100
I have the Seeker Classic Series (fiberglass) BSC 670 -7 20 (30) 50
Its a workhorse, and an excellent choice for live bait and heavy irons. You will also find than many others also use this rod.

It also works well when you fish straight spectra because it will not shock load the spectra.

btw- it also throws a surface iron pretty good - although its not a proper jig stick. Lifetime Warranty and a quality rod you will fish for many years.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #9
SDTribal

it is a custom wrap
Old 10-14-2010, 09:23 AM   #10
jbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
Personally I don't like spending a lot of money on my Kayak sticks. I also think that the best deals around right now are on Kencors.

The owner of Kencor has been dumping the last of his rods wholesale cheap, so up here in LA there are a ton of good deals on Kencors both the NZ QNZ series.

I'd put that reel on a NZKAYAK770C, A great rod you can buy new for around 60 bucks. I kid you not I bought 6 Kencor rods last week, I've never seen them priced this low.

Jim
That Kencor you mentioned is rated 8-30# isn't it?. You don't find it too light for heavy bait or yoyo irons?
jbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:44 AM   #11
MVC

I have 2 Kencor rods and I really like them.
Jim, how do I get in touch with the Kencor owner.
MVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:18 AM   #12
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm View Post
That Kencor you mentioned is rated 8-30# isn't it?. You don't find it too light for heavy bait or yoyo irons?
Kencors line ratings are frankly kind of weird. that one should be rated a 10-40 by kencors own weird standards but it's still not suitable for ten pound

I run 40 spectra witha six foot 30 fluoro top, and generally I fish 6xjrs and 7xs with that rod.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:19 AM   #13
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVC View Post
I have 2 Kencor rods and I really like them.
Jim, how do I get in touch with the Kencor owner.
I have no idea now days but Ocean-Angler on this board get's them directly from him and sells them at a good price.

Jim