Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-22-2012, 12:00 AM   #1
dbarnett66
Danodog

Need advice on fishing gear.

Since I blew my wad on the new Kayak and accessories, I have limited funds for fishing gear. I picked up both of these reels for $10.

Diawa Sealine Series 50H I think I am going to buy one of the Cheapo Sabre rods for $40 at Big 5 for this reel. I am thinking Kelp beds and bay? Your thoughts are appreciated.

I also picked up this Quantum reel. Looks like it may be too small even for the bay. I have another one similar to this called the Quantum Iron.

I was at Big 5 and saw a a couple of reels that were around the $50-70 mark. I thought I could get one more reel and rod for $100 total. I was looking at a Shimano and a Roddy. Both felt cheap, but I did find some favorable reviews. They also had 2 Shimano Tyrnos 8 on clearance for $159. But that would destroy my budget. So I could get 2 Sabre rods and one cheapo reel and have two complete setups if I use the Diawa 50h pictured above. I want to spend the money on my wife and kids this Christmas and limit the guilty pleasure of buying for me.
dbarnett66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:05 AM   #2
yaky yak

I bought all my rods at Big 5. Either Ugly sticks or sabre rods. I got a 8ft Sabre Pacifica stroker rod after work last night for 45.00. at big 5.
Iv landed some big threshers and my PB yellowtail (36lb) this year on them and never had a problem.
I bought a 9' super seeker jig rod used for 180.00 and lost it in the surf at La Jolla first time I took it with me(that hurt)
Reels are a different story. A cheap reel will cost you fish. but on the flip side you don't need a gold 400.00 reel. The sealine is a good reel for the money. I am always searching craigslist for good deals. It don't take much money to replace and upgrade the drags on a used good reel. I have an avet, and a tyros16 2 speed and a sealine, but my lucky reel seems to be a old jigmaster with a few upgrades Ive had for years. Bought it new on sale years ago for 30.00.
Just saying those Sabre rods may not impress the guy paddling next to you, but they'll make an impression on that yellowtail swimming at the end of your line.
yaky yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:12 AM   #3
Baja_Traveler

I've got an old Sealine that looks exactly like that one - it's seen years of trouble free use. Don't sell it short just because it didn't cost a lot. It can handle anything La Jolla throws at it...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:33 AM   #4
StinkyMatt

Take that sealine apart, clean it, grease it and you will have yourself a good reel.

The little one is perfect for the bays.

Do not blow 160 bucks at this point in the game. Go get a couple of rods and you are in the game.

There are guys on here that go out fishing with an arsenal worth a couple grand on the back of their kayak. Rarely do YT and Hali's surface to inspect your gear before they bite your hook.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:05 AM   #5
Necron 99

Quote:
Take that sealine apart, clean it, grease it and you will have yourself a good reel.

Do not blow 160 bucks at this point in the game. Go get a couple of rods and you are in the game.

There are guys on here that go out fishing with an arsenal worth a couple grand on the back of their kayak. Rarely do YT and Hali's surface to inspect your gear before they bite your hook.
What Ol Stinky Matt Said. It don't have to be pretty. It just has to work. You can find instructions for cleaning and greasing your reel at alantani.com
Necron 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:23 AM   #6
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post

X-2

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:44 AM   #7
slobslayer

Those will work... Like they said, it doesn't need to be the nicest out there. But make sure you check your reels before you head out. I fished la Jolla yesterday, when I got out there my 40# setup wouldn't go into free spool so I had to fish my 25# setup. I hooked my first YT On and iron and it broke me off about 20 ft down. Very frustrating. BTW I only fish with big 5 rods and reels
slobslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
tomahawk

All these guys have great advice. I have all manner of rods from custom Calstar to Wal-mart special. My son has a Big 5 sabre 270 and abuses it. He has caught many fish including 45lb Bluefin and Albis without issue.
I would stress what slobslayer said about checking reels thoroughly before heading out. I clean and lube my reels routinely. Some of them are sensitive even to the order the screws are torqued. Check going in and out of free spool and that it free spools correctly. I have put back together reels, have them go in and of free spool, crank perfectly, and only be able to cast 10 ft.
tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #9
HAVABASS
Junior

Consider Used Gear

Bloodydecks.com has a TON of very good used tackle in their classifieds.

Find a buddy who knows gear and get a great deal.

High-End reels are always the best in the long run (Shimano, Accurate, etc.). Most have lifetime warrantys.

Good Fishing
HAVABASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #10
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

My go to setup is a penn jigmaster on a rod i got when i bought my boat. Its a great setup and has no bearings so i dont have to worry about it rusting out or breaking. I service em every season to keep em in top shape and its all the rod and reel you will ever need. Look around on craigslist and look for old penn reels. All of em will handle what your doing.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #11
dbarnett66
Danodog

Thanks for the replies. I guess patience is the key here.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #12
Cbad Mike

I have older Seeker rods that get the work done and older reels that I try to keep in top working order. I would love to have a couple of the new reels that are out but don't have the budget right now for them. My last big catch was a very big Black Bass that I brought in on a Penn Jigmaster. It was pushed to the limit but the fish was huge.
My advice... Stick to your budget and take good care of whatever equipment you have.
I'd be sick to my stomach if I lost a $$$ reel while rolling in the surf. But losing a Jigmaster wouldn't kill me or break the bank to replace.

Mike
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #13
dbarnett66
Danodog

I have a another chance to get another cheap Diawa 50h like the one above. Does it defeat the purpose of having two of the same sized reels? I assume most of you are fishing 30-40 pound test on a heavy action rod and 20-25 on a medium action rod. Not sure what a good pair of reels would be for the kelp. I think I can use my old fresh water bass set ups for the bay. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:48 AM   #14
Cbad Mike

I am in no way a pro, but In my opinion I think that your thinking way to much. You can take the same sized reel and have a different set up on it. I've read all of your posts and you know enough to just get out there and have some fun. If we can set up a time that's good for us both I'll head out with you. It's a blast and I'm positive that you won't have any problems.
Mike
Old 12-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #15
StinkyMatt

One other piece of advice, don't go so big on all of your reels. Small is more comfy, easier to handle, more sporty and cheaper. Many of us on the west coast tend to way oversize our gear.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #16
Jimmyz123

I love Sealine reels, new and old. They hold their value and if maintained they will treat you well. Like others have mentioned you could spend tons of money on gear but you can also get buy on less expensive gear. I love the rods from Big 5 I agree that making sure you have well maintained and not so cheap reels is a good idea. Be careful of the Bass Pro Shop brand of reels. I have purchased a couple of their high end reels and both of them lasted less than 2 years, 1 I had to take back after the 2nd use. Stick to the well known made reels like Shimano, Okuma, Daiwa, and such and you'll be fine. Anything you don't want to lose make sure you have a leash on it.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:14 PM   #17
dbarnett66
Danodog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbad Mike View Post
I am in no way a pro, but In my opinion I think that your thinking way to much. You can take the same sized reel and have a different set up on it. I've read all of your posts and you know enough to just get out there and have some fun. If we can set up a time that's good for us both I'll head out with you. It's a blast and I'm positive that you won't have any problems.
Mike
Yeah I agree that the gears are turning. I made the mistake of letting my wife buy me the Stohlquist fishing life vest for a Christmas gift. As a result it sits under the tree until tomorrow. So I have been planning....To add salt to the wounds my 2008 Toyota Tundra wouldn't start yesterday. Had it towed to the dealer and found out that I have a faulty starter. Good thing I had an extended warranty as I would have paid $1300 out of pocket. I won't get the truck back until Thursday or Friday, so I will have some time to think some more.

For those of you thinking why so much on a starter replacement. The starter is under the exhaust manifold. The alternator, exhaust manifold, heat shield, serpentine belt, all have to be removed to get to the starter. The starter lists for $549, labor on top of that. Good think I bought the freakin warranty.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #18
yaky yak

I am glad you got the extended warranty too. Here's your starter for half price,
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...140866-2492667 Dealerships are such rip offs. It'll take them an hour to change out.
yaky yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:12 AM   #19
dbarnett66
Danodog

One of the Sealine 50h's is rebuilt

Before above, after below:

The information at alantani.com was incredible. I bought 4 Sealine series reels for $15 each. (2 50h's and 2 30h's) I decided to go all in and bought just about all new chrome parts, Carbontex drag washers, click springs, washers, o-rings, etc. I even bought new decals and badges for the 50h's. With that being said both of my 50h's will be close to $90 each for the final cost. The reels were basically rebuilt with improved drag washers. By the way. smoothdrag.com only has a limited amount of the carbon fiber drag washers left. When they are out, there will be no more. The manufacturer will not produce the material anymore.

I just need to find some cheap rods. I will call or text John in the next couple of weeks. Trying to sell the last of my woodworking gear.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:21 AM   #20
Cbad Mike

They look great and thanks for the drag washer info.

Mike