Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #21
Smthtnnr
Fishing Addict

I see what you're saying, but I think a big thing is there are a lot of lazy and newbie guys that wait to see reports and basically mooch off of the guys spending time on the water. If they don't see report, they don't take our fish. I'm new to the forum so I don't really know for sure, but that's my take.
Smthtnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #22
buddha

I think it is sad that you got mostly negative replies.

I think you want more camaraderie but some people will just not open their hearts for that for some reason.

Many just want to stay to themselves.

I am happy that Makobob has organized some Mexican trips and I will be going with a small group of guys to Bahia Asuncion.

I have a feeling that it will be a great trip with great people.

Don't be negative it is only fishing.

Last edited by buddha; 10-23-2013 at 10:20 PM.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:27 PM   #23
easyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
I think it is sad that you got mostly negative replies.

I think you want more camaraderie but some people will just not open their hearts for that for some reason.

Many just want to stay to themselves.

I am happy that Makobob has organized some Mexican trips and I will be going with a small groups of guys to Bahia Asuncion.

I have a feeling that it will be a great trip with great people.

Don't be negative it is only fishing.
Can't wait for the Mexico trips
Old 10-24-2013, 06:09 AM   #24
monkeyfishturds

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyak View Post
Thanks for using one of your 29 post in the last 4 years on this...

Ouch, that wasn't friendly. Some opinions are not welcome i see.
monkeyfishturds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:27 AM   #25
maui jim

Hunting season cant use a kayak for that....... I think I may need to borrow Jeorges SKUNK OFF SPRAY.... Stupid deer, pigs, quail,

Too bad you cant eat ground squirrels cuz I knocked the beejesus out of those....400+ with a 17HMR..

I need to go hooping now....so I can post shorts.. they way my season is going...
Old 10-24-2013, 06:52 AM   #26
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Thanks for using one of your 29 post in the last 4 years on this...

X-2

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:53 AM   #27
Baja_Traveler

I've been around long enough to notice that it all goes in cycles - when the fishing is dead, the forum is dead because there is not much to talk or brag about.

Then the fishing gets hot and we get lots of reports here.

Then the really dedicated guys who are out there putting in the miles get P.O.ed when they post up a report and the whole world descends on the location the next day - so they stop posting reports.

Then someone invariably whines that there are no reports being posted here and we're all dicks for ignoring the newbies.

Right now fishing isn't so hot, football and hunting season is upon us, and from what I read the lobster season isn't much to speak of this year.

Personally I haven't been on the water in two months because of my rifle competitions and getting a few hunts in - which seems to be my first love because I'm choosing it over my fishing poles.

But there is one thing I do know for a fact - there is a select group of guys here who are quietly putting in the time on the water every day, and probably catching more fish than I'll ever see because they are as dedicated to kayak fishing as I am to my rifle competitions. And I admire them for that - you guys know who you are...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:54 AM   #28
Chuck D

I feel that as in life as well as in BWE you should give at least double back that you receive to make up for all the stingy ones in our world. However, this does not have to take the form of posting your catch or honey holes every time you go out. Over the years I have gotten many tips and given many tips from people/friends I have met through this forum. I have made many contacts and got much advise and help from people and try help them back whether it is in the form of a helpful post, pm, on the water experience or handing out fish to friends in need. I think most kayak fishermen are alike in the ways that they are kind, intelligent, competitive and environmentally concious people. I think your frustrations come from the fact that most people are not contributing in the form of posts and this equals the fact that people aren't contributing at all to the progression of kayak fishing, but I think it goes much deeper to the contributions outside of the forum that start in the forum, if that makes sense We are all is the same boat here my friends, just in different part of the country.
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #29
PAL

Quote:
I agree to some aspects. The crowds do not seem to participate any longer. But why is that. Is the question.

Someone said over crowding, not sure if anyone is familiar with the BAY area but pretty damn populated and overcrowded and they seem to share just fine.
There are more people ever out kayak fishing. It is a mistake to equate lower web forum participation with a slump in the sport. Forum traffic seems to be down across the state, not just in SoCal.

Bay area! The intensity of use is nothing like it is at La Jolla or even Dana Pt. That cold, rough water might be NCKA's best advantage. It's a compelling reason to avoid solo missions, and keeps participation down to only the committed.

When it comes to community, forums are places to talk between events and other issues that bring people who share a common interest together, whether it is a tournament series or a cherished friend's battle against cancer. That's real community, not this Internet chit-chatter.

Even though the SoCal tournament scene was in decline at the time, this community rallied strong during the MLPA fight. All of La Jolla would have been closed. That is a fact. And leave that other guy out of it. You have little idea what you're talking about.

Quote:
There should be comradery among all of us not hatred and regret that's how it almost feels. Paul you know how that feels when you go to a NCKA event everyone is family and that's how it should be down here.
Every family has its problem children, even NCKA. Try a positive attitude. You might get more positive responses. Camaraderie is around if you know where to look.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:25 AM   #30
Raskal311

So who wants to hit NP with me tomorrow. I expect to catch nothing but bait fish and come home tired and happy.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:43 AM   #31
rhyak

Quote:
And leave that other guy out of it. You have little idea what you're talking about.
Fair enough I know there was more too it then what was made public.

Quote:
There are more people ever out kayak fishing. It is a mistake to equate lower web forum participation with a slump in the sport. Forum traffic seems to be down across the state, not just in SoCal.
Quote:
When it comes to community, forums are places to talk between events and other issues that bring people who share a common interest together, whether it is a tournament series or a cherished friend's battle against cancer. That's real community, not this Internet chit-chatter.

Even though the SoCal tournament scene was in decline at the time, this community rallied strong during the MLPA fight. All of La Jolla would have been closed.
Agree with you a lot more would have been lost.

I think we have lost the question here of why guys do not post reports? Even if it was a day on the water pulling up rockfish, yeah I know we have all seen them. But a good write up and report is always enjoyable to read.
rhyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:04 AM   #32
kareem korn

Is this a fish report?
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #33
ful-rac
Emperor

Well ryan I guess I can speak for myself....I usually fish at least once per week, and I don't catch fish every time. It might seem like I'm holding back...but the reality of it is that I don't catch fish every time. If I posted up a fish report of every single trip I take....you guys would probably puke all over your keyboards...

Who wants to hear...went out caught some bait, went on a 8 hour long dead halibut drift....caught 3 sanddabs and 8 lizardfish... who knows?....maybe that's entertaining for some...?

Our lobster cookout was more entertaining than the fishing we did that day...even though we ended up catching some fish...

Hopefully things will get better fishing-wise and good reports can start rolling out again...hey it's almost trout season! We'll have some good Irvine lake camp'n/trout reports soon. Maybe you can join us this year ryan!
Old 10-24-2013, 08:11 AM   #34
rhyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeLoser View Post
What is it you expect to gain personally with regard to whether or not this forum is blowing up?
Will not gain a thing personally, and do not expect to gain a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeLoser View Post
I don't intend to offend you with this but lets be honest; in 18 months you've only posted an average of 4.67 times per month. You're not exactly super "active" around here.
Your right, but as other said, I drink Dos X...

Guys so everyone is clear, I am not bashing anyone and not trying to gain a thing what could I possibly gain by this, why does everyone worry about what others will gain from something else. I feel like I am pretty selfless when it comes to this sport, and why I asked the question to start with. Trying to get positive feedback but not finding much.

Hope I get a chance to meet all of you some day on the water. We can share stories and a good time.

Ryan

Old 10-24-2013, 08:14 AM   #35
rhyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Hopefully things will get better fishing-wise and good reports can start rolling out again...hey it's almost trout season! We'll have some good Irvine lake camp'n/trout reports soon. Maybe you can join us this year ryan!

Tony, let me know and I can try and make it. Think they just started the stocking, Double up Trout and Cats right now I am sure.

Would love to chill with you guys again.

Ryan

Old 10-24-2013, 08:23 AM   #36
lamb

When I see even Chuck D chippin’ in on the subject, I can’t ignore it any more…

With the exception of some of you guys going at each other, lots of good stuff has been said.

Be rest assured, all lot of us have been having this conversation. It has been puzzling me for a long time… And I am still trying to figure it out.

There is something to be said about the fact it all pretty much started here in SoCal. I hope it’s not the sign of things to come for other parts of the country.

There is something to be said about general SoCal attitude – my spot, my paddy, my bite, my wave… Especially the general hostile attitude towards each other of SoCal fisherman… Ugh... “F’k you” screamed out from the top of your lungs is the most common communication exchange you can hear on the water between the two fishing boats… ...after ignoring each other, that’s probably the most common one.

In March this year, we went down to Florida, KFS was sponsoring Jacksonville Kayak Fishing Classic. It was pouring for days, we’re talking some serious rain… Windows were 25 knots… 400+ people showed up for the tournament. I could not believe my eyes. Buncha’ awesome folks, great kayak fishing community they’ve got down in Jax.

In August, we went up to NorCal for Albion Open. It was the coolest event with the nicest people I’ve ever been to. Everyone having a blast, the whole camp site pretty much exclusively occupied by kayak fishermen attending the event and their families, good times 24 x 7 for 3 days…

Needless to say – I can wait to go back to both events next year.

It is very true that the internet is evolving, and so is everything that’s riding on it. No one has control over that. Look at the forums 10+ years ago, waaay before FB. The Web provided new platform for folks that share any common interest, People jumped on board to socialize and exchange info, help each other out, and help become better in whatever they were into. What a great concept...

Bragging has always been a big part of fishing. Lots of folks just couldn't resist to utilize this wonderful platform to let the world know about their awesome catch, get some recognition and establish the name for themselves. Oh, the web 1.0 generation…

But you can only brag so much… and very few people get into the sport exclusively for bragging. It’s the personal joy and satisfaction that turns each one of us into anything we do… Personal and internet are kind of ambiguous terms these days, aren't they?

Generational turnover is another phenomena. Folks come and go. Especially with kayak fishing – the turnover is pretty high. Say what you will but it is pretty demanding sport, and only a small percentage of even fisherman will dig and be cool with all the extra effort and obstacles that are required if you were going to do it on a piece of plastics. Do not overlook that part. Many kayakers that either started fishing on the power boat, or got one after experiencing kayak fishing, will tell you that. I am talking about that chill in your bones you get when NW wind is 10+ in December and your arms are wet from a friggen water that keeps dripping down your paddle… or that water that made it down inside of your splash jacket when you picked up that wave in your face during the launch 4 AM, and made the shirt on your belly all wet.

Then there are personal situations, life events that all of us get hit up with without warning, that simply put any “extra-curriculum” activities such as fishing or visiting fishing forum on hold. Health problems, family problems, job troubles.... I’ve personally had a number of those over the years that would make me skip out of even checking BWE for weeks!!!… and I even “work” here!

And sure, there’s lame arse attitude that some people bring to public forums. All of us admins and mods have been continually struggling with that for years. While we’re trying NOT to moderate too heavily (as most of you know there are times where you feel every 2nd response on a given thread should be nuked )… Luckilly, at least in BWE case that is still alive after all these years, there is enough cool folks that the general vibe that prevails is still a positive one. And all of us that struggle to find the time to run this thing find enough justification to help keep it going.

I agree 100% with what Paul said. The saddest thing we have right now is the collapse of the SoCal kayak fishing tournament scene. I’ve had enough conversations with people that are into the sport and in the industry, that are equally bummed about this fact, that I’m really hopeful that we will all come together and change that around in 2014.

Stay tuned!
Old 10-24-2013, 08:33 AM   #37
rhyak

Well Put...

Old 10-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #38
Raskal311

I can't agree with Lamb more! the only thing i'd like to add is there are very few of those My My My people here but the problem is they are the loudest. Quick to jump on newbs with those put your time on the water and figure it out remarks... Huge turn off in terms of wanting to participate more.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #39
GregAndrew

There are a lot of contributing factors why forums in this area have gone the way that they have gone. Many of these factors have been mentioned or touched upon already (some overly simplified though). A couple not mentioned are the target species and fishing area. While Bass and Rockfish fishermen are not as inclined to hold back their report, most in southern Ca. target exotics (Halibut, Yellowtail and WSB). The big difference with these types of fish, is that they tend to show up in groups in certain areas for a limited time and then are gone until the next time. I can completely understand not wanting to fish among a throng of other fishermen. Or even allow your closest friends to do the same after you have discovered a time/location bite. Sharing a bite like that with a few thousand members of a group of dedicated fishermen (like BWE), would not allow you or them that luxury.

You really cannot compare the SoCal bight to the Central or North coast as far as fishing area. Except when the Squid are around (which has been a lot the last couple years) most of our coast is pretty much desert. Taking out the MLPA areas and the less accessible areas (below Doheny to Oceanside) also greatly reduces our fishable area. A photo, showing any land mass, posted from just about any location in SoCal will be recognized by at least 20% of the viewers of regional forums. Not to mention stacking up the fishermen again.

While I do not advocate posting or holding back a bite, I can understand why some may want to do either. And I support the right of the individual to choose for themselves without being bullied into it. Although, I will usually ask the guy that turned me on to a bite if they want me to hold my post. And, let me clarify to some here, a picture of a fish without mentioning other bites, fish lost or other peoples catches is not posting a "bite". Although, it does become a "bite" when you attack the poster. Seems these large forums have become just a place you get your setup and technique info squared away. And make your initial acquaintances that you build into speed dial relationships.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #40
Drake

I have first hand seen the impact one fishing report has on a bite. Last winter, a few members of Lollipop and I had two weeks worth of a steady bite all to ourselves. Not a single boater/kayaker out there. One morning a brave young new guy found us on the beach and we let him tag a long. We put him on a few nice fish which were on the internet 5 hours later.

For the next month, you could walk from vessel to vessel in La Jolla. Fish were just haphazardly gaffed and tossed over the rails. I saw the same anglers day after day slaughtering more fish than could fit in a single freezer.

It's not about competition. Whether there is one kayak or one hundred, those who catch fish will continue to catch fish. It's about preservation of an ecosystem. Nothing will destroy La Jolla faster than the internet. People worry about Japanese radiation impacting our fish? People should worry more about Fishdope.

Do you ever watch the offshore numbers? 1000s of fish killed everyday, more than anyone really needs out of one trip.

Since then, I have become strictly CnR on all La Jolla and offshore Yellowtail with the exclusion of the ones I shoot. I also will not take more than 4 WSB a year.

I have no problem posting stories and pictures to get people motivated. But they will never be timely reports. A lot of work goes into finding bites. Why should a forum watcher who only fishes when a wide open bite hits the forums benefit from our hard work? You can't even grasp the amount of hours and milage that Dannowar, Daemon and I put on our peddles over the summer fishing Crystal Pier working the area, finding the patterns, and finally making a big score. Over eighty hours a week for the months of June and July. La Jolla was getting crowded, fish we getting pressured and we wanted to try something new. Nine miles round trip 5 days a week, from 3pm-2am working the same grounds. Dedication and preservierance got us those fish, not a hot tip off the internet.

This isn't to say we are greedy, self contained assholes. We share this info with plenty of people via text, pm and phone calls. They are the people that have shown they work hard in their own right and share accordingly in return. Call us a clique, call us a gang, call us assholes if you will, but if you ever see us on the water you can bet your ass we will show every new guy how to make bait, tie some knots, give some tackle and we've even been known to pass a rod off while bendo. Robfish gaffed todd ones first Sheepshead and never met the guy, Gregandrew gave me a sabiki my first day in LJ, Steveo put me on my first WSB, I got Stinkymatt his PB YT...the list goes on. Point being, the real community is out on their kayaks, not on their keyboards.