Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2009, 12:35 AM   #1
bigbarrels

TIPS for Rancho Leonero

Any tips on kayak fishing at Rancho Leonero? Heading down Sept 21-27th in hopes of catching some nice fish

Thank You in advance
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:45 AM   #2
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Since you are posting here, I'm assuming you are planning on kayak fishing down there. Aside from being my favorite place on the planet, even if I didn't fish, I think the variety of kayak fishing available is the best in the world. There are two reefs out front of the resort that hold a wide variety of fish. The first one is right off shore that is visible from the resort, and with parts of it above water based on the tides. The second one is out further but is easily pinpointed because the resorts anchors its cruisers on it every night. If you continue further out from the 2nd reef, you'll find some deeper water, where you will run into blue water fish. I've seen marlin tailing out there and tuna and dodos chasing bait, and this is within a mile from shore. On the reefs you'll run into all types of jacks, and pargo, and needlefish, and triggers, and .... As far as rigs, I always use lighter setups with 25lb being the max. I try everything in the box, but it is getting to the point where I just bring a pile of Krocodiles down there and I can get every kind of fish imaginable. Plastics and Gulp work great but it's one bite = one bait. What comes back in is never reusable.

The ranch is pretty well set up with kayaks but I usually bring my own seat because I find it more comfortable than what they provide. I bring my own gaff too.

Have a great time. Looking forward too the reports when you get back.

The Rossman
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:43 AM   #3
ship 4 brains

Tom -
I went down with a buddy last spring for 2 days of fishing. It was a great trip. We fished from the Super Pangas in the mornings and caught 10 marlin, 1 sailfish, and a big Dorado, probably close to to 50 pounds.

The Pangas had to be back by 2:30PM, so we fished from the yaks in the afternoon. We fished the reefs close to the hotel. Not a lot of action in the afternoon, a few roosterfish, and some reef fish that I did not know what they were.

The problem is that it got very windy in the afternoons, and it was not ideal yak fishing conditions.

The trip was just fantastic!!!! I would recommend that anybody who likes to fish should go there. The food is great, the bar is great, the views are great, and the fishing is great.

Have Fun!!
ship 4 brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:59 AM   #4
tattuna

Make sure you eat lunch at lunch time. I didn't realize my watch was an hour behind and when I went for lunch it was all gone. They made us a quesadilla, but that was it til dinner at 7:00. There are no markets or restaurants close by.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:36 PM   #5
ship 4 brains

You could survive on chips and guac at the bar for a few weeks if necessary
ship 4 brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:25 AM   #6
bigbarrels

Going to mix it up with the cabin cruiser, panga, and most importantly kayak fishing. Thank you for all the input on gear and ways to prevent starvation! First trip to Rancho Leonero and will hopefully have a nice report with footage with the GO Pro Camera my wife had on the table for me tonight....perfect pre-Rancho Leonero gift

Any other info would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by bigbarrels; 08-24-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:37 PM   #7
dorado50

Not a fishing tip but a weather tip.... Hurricane season is upon so.baja during this time. Some years this area gets lucky, other years not so. I'm sure you'll have fuuunnnnn down there.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:58 PM   #8
bigbarrels

hey Dorado......yeah a hurricane is the only variable for this trip not to happen.... Was planning to go to Punta Colorada but then found out they are closed during that portion of September due to the hurricane possibility....so far it has been pretty quiet down there and I'm hoping to not have to reschedule....I guess I will know the week prior
Old 08-28-2009, 05:26 PM   #9
805gregg

You are not far from Los Barriles and some good restaurants. You can probably get a taxi or a ride into town.
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote