Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2009, 01:13 PM   #21
j mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
More importantly good luck to you! Thanks for protecting me and this country. When you get back, I would like to fish with you here in LJ or on a mothership,my treat, alittle something to say thanks.
Rock solid Dave!
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:19 PM   #22
FISHIONADO

Any takers for that bottle of Old No.7? I'm expecting to catch my first YFT.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/sports/ci_13165787

Last Wednesday, the Toronado from Pierpoint Landing in Long Beach was on the bank enjoying good yellowtail fishing. The yellowtail were mostly in the 15- to 30-pound range and were biting live squid, sardines and lures. At noon, the bite seemed to be picking up, when one angler hooked up with a yellowtail suddenly hooked something even bigger. Not only that, but all the other anglers on board stopped getting bites. One minute, it was hook up after hook up; the next it was as though the ocean was vacant.

After a long struggle, a mammoth 250-pound black seabass surfaced. The seabass had swallowed a 25-pound yellowtail whole and had scared any yellowtail nearby away. "I know this fish," said Ray Lagmay, skipper of the Toronado. "This is the same black seabass we caught and released (on Sunday)," he said. Lagmay said it had all the same markings and was the excat same monster as the one that had swallowed another angler's yellowtail Sunday. All black seabass must be returned, as was this one again.as this one was.

For Earl McVicar, from Torrance, just seeing this magnificent fish made his trip. "What an incredible sight," he said.

Prior to the 1950's, giant black seabass could be found in large numbers in Southern California waters. Due to overfishing, the population dwindled to the point where California passed legislation to provide full and total protection of the species. It seems to have worked as more black seabass than ever are now being caught and released on a regular basis.

Yellowfins are jumping: The Toronado, with several hours left in her fishing day had 25 yellowtail on board along with a myriad of tasty-eating bottom fish. Bluefin tuna have also been roaming around the bank adding to the great variety now available to South Bay anglers.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:25 PM   #23
OEX
Administrator

As of right now there are not enough people to run the trip. We'll check with John and Shane to find out what the minimum # of people needed to run the trip and cut off for booking, but believe it needs to be at least 15 and as of tonight we have 7.
OEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:16 PM   #24
yakrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennofish7 View Post
Hey OEX- give us a status report. Do we have enough people yet?
I second that!

And when is the drop dead date for cancelation if we don't go?
I need to fish!!!
if we ain't going I must plan another trip for those days!!!!
I gotta fish!!!!
let us know as soon as you know the deadline...

I signed up about a week or two ago...
come on guys...
I'm gonna cry real tears if we can't go...

Last edited by yakrider; 08-25-2009 at 08:38 PM.
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:40 AM   #25
INGRIDSDAD

cortez bank in mid september! I signed up the day oex put it up. With the BFT and YFT in the area this could be a great trip. I'm trying to get a couple more guys from work to sign up.
INGRIDSDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:01 PM   #26
yakrider

any word on the cut off date yet?
I would really like to be able to make other plans for that weekend if need be...
a fishing trip of some sort is most definitely mandatory...
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:56 PM   #27
FISHIONADO

I'll buy the beers for the entire trip for next person to sign up. My bro is flying out for this trip and I really want it to happen.

FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:22 AM   #28
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHIONADO View Post
I'll buy the beers for the entire trip for next person to sign up. My bro is flying out for this trip and I really want it to happen.
Sh*t you almost got me to sign up! But I couldn't do that to you anyway, picking up my beer tab would be an expensive trip for you!

Seriously, wish I could go, the Islander and crew are the BEST!!!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote