Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2009, 08:02 AM   #1
bigbarrels

Thresher Shark?

When the Thresher shark is swimming at the surface does the caudal fin (tail) stick out further than the dorsal fin? Seems like it would stick out of the water further The other day I was out in the evening and saw a dorsal and caudal fin that came up out of the water (about 8 feet apart from one another) about 20 yards away and then dropped back under and never reappeared. The fins looked black and only came out of the water about 6-8 inches.... I trolled my mackeral over its way thinking maybe it was a thresher but now I'm thinking it may have been something other than a thresher and it definitely was not dolphins.....anyhow, would have been fun to hook it up Oh yeah, I also forgot to mention that on this afternoon I forgot my game bag that hooks to the front of the kayak and had two fish in the water on a game clip....definitely not a fan of doing this

Last edited by bigbarrels; 09-01-2009 at 06:21 PM.
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:21 AM   #2
bender0240

Sounds like a big Thresher to me, with that big of a distance from dorsal to caudal(assuming distance from top of dorsal to top of caudal). If it was 8' form base of dorsal to base of caudal that would be a serious monster Like a GIANT Mako. Not too likely since the biggest confirmed Mako was something like 13'.

I just saw a BIG brown shark come check me out the other day, dorsal finning and all. Probably 8'-10' seven gill. It was a sight to see for sure.
bender0240 is offline   Reply With Quote