Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
layzeefisherman
Junior

What kayak should i get?

Hi! I am new to this sport. I did a lot of research in finding the right one. My friend and i want to get a fishing kayak, but the problem is...should i get a tandem or a single person kayak? At first i was thinking to get a tandem, but i read a lot of post on this site saying that tandems arent really good if u want to catch yellowtails or wsb. Then i was thinking to get 2 single kayaks, but there is another problem...i have a 02 honda odyssey with factory crossbars, can i put 2 kayaks on top of my odyssey?<<
If i do get a single person kayak which one should i get? buget: around 2k for 2 kayaks; about 1k for each one.
layzeefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:06 AM   #2
dmrides

I am certainly no expert, but I would think that two singles would be better. For a grand, you have a lot of choices. I have a Ocean Kayak Prowler 13, it is a great boat. It is fast, stable, has a lot of storage and a very user friendly layout.

Best thing to do is to go to one of the OEX shops and look at your options. The guys at all the shops are super knowledgeable, friendly and want to make sure you get what you are looking for. Demo a few, see how they paddle, and find your own balance of stability and speed that you want. Then once you make your decision, they will help you rig it.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:37 AM   #3
sundog
Junior

I am not an expert but I am on my second kayak. I am always impressed with my friends cobra fish and dive. He is a really big, nearly 300 pound guy. I can never keep up with him. The boat has hatches that fasten down and will not take on a lot of water, handles the surf well, and is faster than both of my boats. Something else to think about, the Hobies are really fast. I like a boat that has a dry ride. There is no perfect boat, at least I have not found one yet. Sundog
sundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:26 AM   #4
Billy V

I haven't found any "fishing option" better than a set of peddles.

Hands Free travel through the water with a rudder to steer, what could be better ?
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:38 AM   #5
Kesepton

Ive got a hobie adventure for sale right now in the classifieds, you should check it out. I keep mine on my car using a kayak rack, but ive seen it done different ways, even a pair of fun noodles cut in half and straps through doors.

If youre tall enough, its not too hard to load it up on the car/van. The weight that can be held is gonna depend on what kind of rack youll use. I think mine is rated at 125# max. Adventure is 62# hull weight according to their site.

I think what kind you should get will depend a lot on how big the people who are using them are and where you will be using them.
Kesepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
Fish4Fun

I guess enough has been said ..Go rent some and try them out ... there are many places ...Andy at Sunset Beach is a good place to try and he is always very helpful. There are also places at Newport Harbor as well ... good luck.
Fish4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:40 PM   #7
TCS

There are two groups of kayak fishermen in La Jolla, those who have hobies and those that wish they did. Unfortunately, I'm in the wish they did category. On those long summer afternoons when you're trolling a mack for yellowtail in the wind chop, the hobie driver is having a much nicer time for sure.

I test paddled a revolution at fast lane. Super stable, easy ride.

I'd say spend 2k on one of those and tell your friend to find their own boat. You'll make new friends on the water!
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #8
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
I haven't found any "fishing option" better than a set of peddles.

Hands Free travel through the water with a rudder to steer, what could be better ?
Hand Free Travel through the water with a rudder to steer, and the ability to go in reverse....other than that...Revo all the way!

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:33 PM   #9
Matt
Support your local pangas

Then there is the other group who doesn't want a Hobie, yes I am on the Malibu Team and I really like the Malibu's! Way more storage than a lot of other yaks, surf well, punch through the surf well, the best deck layout I have ever used and a ton of options. I am not going to put down any other kayak manufacturer I just want to state that not everyone wants to pedal around!
Old 05-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #10
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I ride a Hobie and agree with everything all the other satisfied users have to say, but sometimes I feel a little guilty. When I am out fishing, I often feel like I am cheating a bit. The Hobie hardware just makes it easier to get the job done.

That said, I am outfished every day by guys on other types of kayaks, so its surely more about the talent in the yakfisher than the vessel he, (or she) is riding. Some of the best yakfishers I know ride a traditional kayak by choice.

As much as I love my Revo, I have tremendous respect for those who have figured out how to effectively fish from traditional kayaks.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:25 PM   #11
Whizz Bang

[QUOTE=TCS;56264]There are two groups of kayak fishermen in La Jolla, those who have hobies and those that wish they did. Unfortunately, I'm in the wish they did category. On those long summer afternoons when you're trolling a mack for yellowtail in the wind chop, the hobie driver is having a much nicer time for sure.

Revo!!!

Mine is coming soon!
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:08 AM   #12
Hypoxic1

There was a guy on this site in the classifieds a few days ago selling an outback for what seemed reasonable....theres a good solid boat, slower than a revo but definately more stable and with more storage and rated for more weight than a revo.
good luck
Hypoxic1 is offline   Reply With Quote