Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2012, 12:11 AM   #1
Sdspeed

Question pump for my bait tank

I'm building a small bait tank 3 to 4 gal. Do You guys think this unit will move enough water. I figure I 'd stay with a 12volt unit so I don't have to carry 2 batteries or run a volt drop inline to the water pump to slow it down. Want to build a tank that will fit in the hull in front of me since reaching backwards for bait is a bitch on my body.

DC 12V 6.5L (100GPH) submersible WaterPump

Price: $21.50
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:28 AM   #2
jruiz
Large Member

Is it designed for salt water use? Why not a bilge pump?
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:45 AM   #3
Dennis

I would probably stick with an attwood, or rule pump. Is it going to be a through hull bait tank system (probably, by the looks of the pump). Also, if your going to put the bait tank in the hull vs on the deck, make sure you don't take on water and sink.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:07 AM   #4
Jimmyz123

You might be better off with this
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tsunami-50...r-Kit/11071184

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
That would work.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #6
jruiz
Large Member

I think a 500GPH at 12V would be too much flow. You would need a really big drain to be able to keep up at 100% duty cycle. Even my rule 360 @ 6V can barely keep up with a 3/4" drain. I'm planning to changeto a 1.5" soon.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #7
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
I think a 500GPH at 12V would be too much flow. You would need a really big drain to be able to keep up at 100% duty cycle. Even my rule 360 @ 6V can barely keep up with a 3/4" drain. I'm planning to changeto a 1.5" soon.
That's why this pump at 100 gph on 12v should move enough water and I'll only have to carry 1 battery to operate it and my FF.
It can be submerged in saltwater but doesn't have to be.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #8
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdspeed View Post
That's why this pump at 100 gph on 12v should move enough water and I'll only have to carry 1 battery to operate it and my FF.
It can be submerged in saltwater but doesn't have to be.
I was referencing the Walmart one linked.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
Sdspeed

Quote:
I was referencing the Walmart one linked.
oh, All I saw was the price, didn't look at the details. My bad!
Old 10-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #10
taggermike

That pump will turn your tank volume over plenty of times an hour. A 3 gallon square tank will be tight for macks or larger dines to swim in though. Make sure you have an inlet that allows you to change the circulation pattern. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #11
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
That pump will turn your tank volume over plenty of times an hour. A 3 gallon square tank will be tight for macks or larger dines to swim in though. Make sure you have an inlet that allows you to change the circulation pattern. Mike
I agree

How many gallons are the internal bait tanks that are in the Stealth 12's and other kayaks. The internal tank type not deck top. How much water do the pumps they install move?

Still on my drawing board but this will be for a 13 to 15 ft. yak.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #12
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
I agree

How many gallons are the internal bait tanks that are in the Stealth 12's and other kayaks. The internal tank type not deck top. How much water do the pumps they install move?

They're pretty small. A safe bet would be less than 5. They use the same tsunami bilge pump that the previous poster linked. In most cases though they reduce the duty cycle by having a timer. Or you can have a switch and turn it on every once in a while.

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...ll-Pump/Detail
Old 10-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #13
Sdspeed

Quote:
They're pretty small. A safe bet would be less than 5. They use the same tsunami bilge pump that the previous poster linked. In most cases though they reduce the duty cycle by having a timer. Or you can have a switch and turn it on every once in a while.

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...ll-Pump/Detail
Thanks , that picture says a lot. I was planning on a timer since I get distracted easily.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #14
tehburninator

bait tank.

i just finished building my tank last week

it's a 3.5 gal round bucket. the 3/4 exhaust was wayyyyyyyyyyyy too small, clogged up immediatly, so i put a 1 1/2 in and it's better now....

also been on a buddies boat recently, two different times, i notice the smaller baits last very long, while the big ones are not so fortunate.. and this was in a 15 gal tank.

and they were running i believe a 800gph pump at 12v

we got 1/2 scoop one day of dines 7-9 inches, and lasted about 3 hours before the last one was gone

we went the next day with same ammount, except this time they got new batch in of 5-7 inches... and these things lasted us 6 hours, we then went back to fill up again =)

so i know circulation is important, but i notice sometimes, having the right size bait makes a big difference =) at any rate, i would agree with the guys about the 500 pump run on 6v. i fooled around with mine on 12 v and that was not something i would want to swim in if i were i feesh

plus, running it at 50% should make the pump last a bit longer i believe

try using a resistor, or a capacitor in line to reduce the flow of the pump if you can

but then again, i dont know what im talking about =) good luck, hope to find you on the water sometime
tehburninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #15
jorluivil

I would stay away from running one battery for multiple units, I would run a 6volt for the bait pump and a 12volt for the ff/gps. What are you going to do if your battery fails or if you stay out longer than had originally anticipated?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #16
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I would stay away from running one battery for multiple units, I would run a 6volt for the bait pump and a 12volt for the ff/gps. What are you going to do if your battery fails or if you stay out longer than had originally anticipated?
Very good point, I'll just have to leave my keg and deli lunch bag at home .
Old 10-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #17
Cbad Mike

Quote:
I agree

I have never measured my tank on my Stealth but I'd say close to 4 gallons. I've never run the pump at full capacity I always adjust the inflow ALOT lower than what is possible.
As for the size... It does get a little cramped in there with a few good sized macks.
As for the battery I use one 12v for my ff and tank. I do not run my tank constantly but as needed and have been on the water for 13 hours without the battery going dead.
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #18
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbad Mike View Post
I have never measured my tank on my Stealth but I'd say close to 4 gallons. I've never run the pump at full capacity I always adjust the inflow ALOT lower than what is possible.
As for the size... It does get a little cramped in there with a few good sized macks.
As for the battery I use one 12v for my ff and tank. I do not run my tank constantly but as needed and have been on the water for 13 hours without the battery going dead.
Nothing better than hearing directly from a current user.The pump I'm considering only draws 640 ma so I still think I'd be okay with one battery but it's nice to get as much input as possible. I know I'd never last 13 hours!
Old 10-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #19
GregAndrew

There are a lot of variables that can effect the answer to your question. Tank size and shape?
If you only go with 3-4 gallon tank you should use a round tank. It allows your bait to still swim without crashing into the sides. Don't think I would go with any less than a 5 gallon bucket.
FF draw?
A color or backlit grayscale FF will probably draw about the same as the pump and limit you to about 5-6 hours running both on a 7ah battery.
Type and amount of bait you plan on using?
Sardines require a lot of oxygen, and a scoop from the bait barge will require a lot of water flow. Macks and Squid are not so tempermental.

Get a dip net for scooping your bait out of the tank, it really helps with limited back movement.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:16 AM   #20
Jimmyz123

Quote:
This is the one I have used many times with no issues with flow or anything. I think many of the bait tanks use this type of pump. I have seen some using 360GPH but for the most part this one
http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/p...500gph-12-volt

If you install a spray head that you can control the amount of spray you can cut down the flow, but also think of this. Dines use a lot of Oxygen and the water needs to be circulate well for them to stay alive. Most will use timers to control the inflow so that the pump is not always going. Trust me the 500GPH pump is worth it and at walmart is often only about $20 on it's own.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote