Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2008, 02:03 PM   #21
Grego

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeberdave View Post
Grego,
Great post I'm new to the sport,been fishing this year in fresh water and just started to hit harbors and bays. Noticed most kayak fisherman are fishing live bait,so I started checking out their setups.I really like your
bait tank rigging clean functional, really cool.I also like your "marine supply" sources, I've found good stuff for my boat at Home Depot,K Mart
and even Ralphs.
Anyway, question is with the through hull pump mounting,is the vibration when the pump is on sending a resonace through the boat into the water and doe's it alarm/spook the fish?Also do you have any pump prime problems?
Thanks again for the great info
Dave
No priming needed.

The vibration or resonance....I'm no expert but I had no problem catching bait, some bass, and shortie butts the last time I took it out. Ummm..all the boats use them. You could ask the guys who use the kayatank to see if that's a problem, but from what I've seen they haven't seemed to slow down catching the right kind. When you install in a garage and you turn it on dry it's going to "hummmmm", but it's not like that on the water, I can't hear it at all. I don't think the vibration is any worse then having a bilge pump directly submerged in the water.
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:08 PM   #22
lamb

On pump noise/vibration... No doubt certain species are more sensitive to noise... Kayakers versus boaters on WSB counts is a strong testament.

But despite reading about it a lot on boards (people suggesting to turn off the pump when after WSB and what not), I'm not convinced that the constant buzzing of a bait-tank pump makes any difference.

This picture was taken a couple of years ago on our Baja trip... The school of 6-7 40+ lbs WSB strolled right under our kayaks to check us out. They were only 2-3 ft under our yaks, turning on their side to give us a look. At the time, I had an external pump that was pretty noisy. They didn't seem to care.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:46 PM   #23
TheSherThang

Really sweet install Grego! Now where is the disco ball and hydraulics?
TheSherThang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:53 AM   #24
deeberdave

Thanks Guys,
I always try to be as quiet on the water as I can be, thats why I'm lovin' kayaks compared to the Merc powered rockets I used to fish in!
Guess I'll start collecting the parts for a thru-hull!
Tight Lines
Dave
deeberdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:25 PM   #25
DB

Where did you get that 3 1/2 bucket and lid?

Bob
DB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:42 AM   #26
Grego

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB View Post
Where did you get that 3 1/2 bucket and lid?

Bob
I had ordered the buckets 4 or 5 at one time from an online store some years ago, it's not worth buying only 1 because of the shipping. Andy at OEX said he was going to start stocking them and my sponsor Hook1 might also carry them.

The Gamma Seal Lids are made in SD, just do a google search and you'll find plenty of places selling them. I ordered in bulk years ago and it was something like $8 per lid with shipping. I've made a lot of tanks and surf fishing buckets with them for people so I needed a lot. Again, check with Hook1 or OEX they might carry them in stock. Also, I think a year or so ago they began making dog food containers with the same lids that I see a lot of guys using as livewells or large bait tanks.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:48 AM   #27
Grego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grego View Post
No priming needed.

The vibration or resonance....I'm no expert but I had no problem catching bait, some bass, and shortie butts the last time I took it out. Ummm..all the boats use them. You could ask the guys who use the kayatank to see if that's a problem, but from what I've seen they haven't seemed to slow down catching the right kind. When you install in a garage and you turn it on dry it's going to "hummmmm", but it's not like that on the water, I can't hear it at all. I don't think the vibration is any worse then having a bilge pump directly submerged in the water.
EDIT: I can now say I caught a nice legal butt with the pump running
Old 07-24-2008, 08:57 AM   #28
forefrazier

Greg:

When installing the thru hull pump, did you have to hack-saw off the end of the threads in order to make it level with the nut? I was thinking of just adding a 90 elbow so that the water would be coming straight in as I was paddling?? Thoughts?
forefrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:30 PM   #29
Grego

Quote:
Originally Posted by forefrazier View Post
Greg:

When installing the thru hull pump, did you have to hack-saw off the end of the threads in order to make it level with the nut? I was thinking of just adding a 90 elbow so that the water would be coming straight in as I was paddling?? Thoughts?
Yes, I have a pvc cutter, but same thing just made it flush. Elbow attachment, sure you can do that, I don't think it will make a functional difference since the pump is strong enough as it is and doesn't need any extra priming. The concern I foresee is the elbow sticking out farther and it might get knocked off during loading or something. Heck, maybe if you paddled enough you wouldn't even need a motor to get water flowing into the tank, but you couldn't stop or drift for very long though.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:40 AM   #30
Iceman
Administrator

West Coast Mod...........100# fish hold

Old 07-31-2008, 11:48 AM   #31
deeberdave

Wow, Where's the Coronas. Is that the X13 you cut the liner out of?
deeberdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:09 AM   #32
Grego

It almost fit....!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01201.jpg (43.4 KB, 443 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01197.jpg (35.2 KB, 436 views)
Old 08-03-2008, 01:01 PM   #33
cabojohn
PROBATION

That's not a bad problem to have.
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:16 PM   #34
wiseguy

Great Post Grego! I've just finished my install and will put it in the pool first to test for leaks.
wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:14 AM   #35
keljad

mate, thanks for the very informative post. I have just takien delivery of my new X13 and am keen to read any ideas on the fitout of this new kayak.

A few questions if I may;

where did you install your transducer? I have had a brief look at the inside of the hull, and the centre does not appear wide enough for a transducer.

Where and how did you fit your battery for the sounder? I am used to the Xfactors seemingly unlimited in hull access, and am struggling to get used to the lessor space

How did you get the Hook 1 sticker to adhere to the Malibu rough surface?? I have some sponsors, but have struggled to stick logo's to the rough surface

Can the 3M goop be shipped internationally?? I have looked everywhere for the stuff in Australia but cant find it

James

keljad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:17 AM   #36
dgax65
Guerro Grande

James

I've used both 3M 5200 and Sikaflex and have found them to be very similar in performance (and mess created when applied).

3M 5200
Sikaflex

No 3M distributors in Australia. You can order 3M products from their website
Shop 3M
If you can't find the 3M 5200, the Sikaflex will work just as well. Just make sure to get the type that is made for below the waterline applications. They sell Sikaflex at Whitworth's
Old 08-08-2008, 07:30 AM   #37
keljad

thanks again doug for your help. So 3M marine goop is simialr to sikflex?? I thought it must be something very different which sets harder. To date I have used selly's all clear for the fixture of transducers and the like without incident, but if you guys reccomend 3M or sikaflex, then i will give it a go on the next fitting.

Thanks again

James

Old 08-08-2008, 10:08 AM   #38
dgax65
Guerro Grande

James
I only use 3M 5200 on major hull penetrations, such of the thru-hulls for my bait tank intake and outlet. I prefer Marine Goop (similar to Selly's All Clear) for all other applications. 5200 is a mess and I can't seem to use it without getting the crap all over my yak and myself. Maybe that's just my problemlol Marine Goop is much easier to work with and it cleans up better.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:58 PM   #39
keljad

i will need something suitable for major hull penetrations eventually. i am just trying to build up the nerve to slice holes in the bottom of my kayak.

i have another xfactor ordered, and this one will be getting the royal treatment and a water intake for a live tank.

not sure if i will put one in the x13 yet or just keep it as my bass boat

James

Old 08-09-2008, 03:00 PM   #40
Grego

Here's my ducer and box that holds the battery. For the decals, I sanded it down, used alcohol, put the decal down and used a mini-torch to heat it up (careful not to burn) before peeling the paper off, then I used this marine/uv protectant satin gloss spray can stuff made by cobalt? I tried a few other types of stuff and either it didn't work at all or they krinkled up the sticker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0616.jpg (43.5 KB, 366 views)