Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2009, 07:24 AM   #1
nunyabizness1
Maggie

IMPORTANT INFO***** Awareness EVENT ****

Please check out the info posted at Bloodydecks.com regarding an MLPA Awareness Event/Caravan. We need everyone's participation please!!!

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/ma...-5-2009-a.html

OK Gang.....here we go. I took a few days off, sorry for the delay.
Nunyabusiness and I drove up to GG on Monday to meet with about 30 or so of our allies in this fight. We had several RSG members present who really gave us some good "insight" into what is happening in the process.

a couple of things we came away with from the meeting:

We HAVE TO keep the pressure on the BRTF. How do we do that? by showing up in force at the meetings! you dont have to speak.......just your presence is enough to make them feel the heat. If we put 250 people in the same color shirt, it sends a message, believe me. This next meeting on Sept. 10 in los angeles is very critical.

We need to make the general public aware of what is taking place. To accomplish this, we are planning a "RODEO" of trailer boats on Saturday morning, Sept. 5 We are in the process of having banners printed for the boats, with a message about the MLPA. (See the other thread about the content of the message....) Our plan is tentatively to gather at South Shores early in the morning, and start a parade of boats up and down the coast, and at some point end up back at south shores for a rally/bbq.
Even if you cant participate in the boat parade, we NEED YOU AT THE RALLY!
We want to generate some media attention.....and for that, we need a big group waving signs and banners....at all the sea world and beach traffic traveling on Sea World drive. KIDS ESPECIALLY will get attention!

We need alot more public outreach This can be accomplished in a variety of manners.....but I think that face to face conversations will have the best impact. For this, we are developing a list of talking points, and we will need some volunteers to work in teams to just hang out at the ramps/landings/tackle shops etc....and just talk to people about what is happening. We need to enlist the general boating public in our fight.

We realize that there are many many boaters in the state who have no clue as to what the MLPA is all about......and we need to educate them before its too late!

This is in no way a complete set of plans.....but I wanted to get something up on the board THIS MORNING so as to give all you wonderful people as much "notice" as possible........

I know its going to be Labor Day weekend........many already have plans......but our hands are kind of tied here as far as available dates.

PLEASE, try to join us........we need every one of you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

We will meet at South Shores at 9 am. Please keep in mind that the purpose of this event is to provide a unified message to the public about the impact these closures will have on our economy. We understand that there will be closures with the MLPA, but they need to be managed with the least impact to our economy. We will present our message in a respectful manner! This is not intended for us to go off on a rampage and nasty protest! We would only feed the wrong impression and turn off those who would otherwise be open-minded to hear what we have to say. Pleae ensure your cars, boats, trailers are properly registered, licensed and lights working, etc. We want to do this in a lawful manner!

We are trying to educate the public to inform them that improperly designed closures have a huge impact to all of us!

We are going to get bumper stickers printed to give out and want to have every vehicle in sight with them on. We are going to put the yesfishing.org web site on our banners and stickers for people to go to get more information. We just got this site updated with the Sept. 9 and 10th meeting information. We will have more information added to this site. We do need donations to help with printing bumper stickers and some massive banners for the event. I have asked BD for the use of their paypal account to send in donations to help pay for the costs of these banners and stickers.

We seriously need everyone possible to line the streets with their own posters and signs. Get the kids with signs and pictures of them fishing saying "I JUST WANT TO FISH!" Teachers who have been laid off from work can hold signs that say they lost their job due to state budget cuts, how can the state justify incurring more costs for MLPA closures impacting our economy. If you are a business owner of any kind, your sign can say something about how the MLPA closures will impact your business. The state will lose revenue from several resources and not be able to afford to support the MLPA. The scientific studies do not support the closures. This process needs to be put on hold and not rush into closures. Management is the key!

You get the idea, get your posters started, be creative! Tie balloons and streamers on your signs and cars to make them stand out more! We will have some banners prnted and will spread them out between the caravan. If you don't have a boat and trailer, bring your car with a kayak on top and banners! We can mix you inbetween the bigger vehicles!

Remember, UNITED front, UNITED message! No out of control behavior, be respectful or please do not show. We will bring the banners and signs up to Los Angeles and put them on our cars there too for the mtgs.

We hope you will stay after the caravan event for a potluck/BBQ too!

Get those stickers out on your cars and everywhere!!!!

Please submit donations via paypal at: tourneys@bloodydecks.com if anyone can send in donations for printing costs. Emails will be sent out to everyone with more details! Get any media attention you know there! SEE YOU ON SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 5th, 9 am AT SOUTH SHORES!

POST THIS LINK ON ANY OTHER BOARDS YOU THINK WOULD BE EFFECTIVE!
nunyabizness1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:39 PM   #2
comrad_zeelaagee

this may sound silly- but where exactly do you plan to meet?- i'm not familiar with the "south shores."
comrad_zeelaagee is offline   Reply With Quote