Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #1
SanDogSWO
Junior

Bait making question

I've fished La Jolla several times and so far have not had any trouble making bait. I usually work the kelp line just past the bouys and have been able to get all of the spanish I need along with a few smelt. I have not been successful in getting any greenies in the tank though. I know greenies seem to be the bait of choice, and I'm wondering what I should be doing to increase my chances of getting the "right" bait. I've seen other posters write about making bait around Scripps pier. I've also heard chumming cat food can help. Is there anything else I should be trying to increase the odds of picking up greenbacks vice spanish?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
KennyHill

ive always got greenback in open water away from the kelp. just look for bait balls on your fish finder. the kelp is full of spanish and smelt.
KennyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
PescadorPete

Using a bigger sabiki has been helping me out. I always catch my best bait away from the kelp.
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote