Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2009, 06:42 PM   #1
eDUBz

Co2 pfd

Just bought a co2 pfd from west marine it was on sale so i got it.
Its a manual one fits comfortable and low pro.
Was wonderin' if anybody uses theses and if so what are the advantages and disadvantages.? Thanks.
eDUBz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
fishinkid2010

I have one. I only use it in the bays though. Whenever I fish La Jolla or the Point Loma kelp I always wear my regular Extrasport jacket.
They are obviously more comfortable and less bulky, but they are not always as reliable. If I'm somewhere where I couldn't swim to shore easily I opt to go with a regular pfd.
I'm sure you'll like it, but do take into consideration that your CO2 tank better be working if you truly need it.
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:13 AM   #3
Matt
Support your local pangas

Hey Edubz

I do use one, it is the west marine belt kind, I use it versus a waders belt, it is super low pro and I am not too worried about needing to float anyway but if I did need to use it, I am more than confident in it helping me stay afloat. Generally speaking if you flip, your boat is pretty damn closeby and you shouldn't have a problem getting to it and righting yourself. But always better safe than sorry.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:40 AM   #4
SGV Rookie

Waist type inflatable

I also use a belt type inflatable with my waders or plain shorts. It allows a lot of mobility. I do keep a full type three in the front hatch just in the case that you have an extended stay in the water. I also suggest practicing in a pool. I know I can get back on fairly quick and I am a pretty confident swimmer. If you practice in a pool, the regular pfd may be the type of bouyancy you need to get up onto your yak again. I say try them all out. Living another day to fish is priceless.

SGV Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:29 AM   #5
eDUBz

Thanks for all the input. Looks like i'll be using the co2 pfd inside the harbors, anything outside the harbor i will use the buoyant one. Both will stored onboard. Thanks again.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:22 PM   #6
Siebler

Quote:
Originally Posted by eDUBz View Post
Thanks for all the input. Looks like i'll be using the co2 pfd inside the harbors, anything outside the harbor i will use the buoyant one. Both will stored onboard. Thanks again.

Dont just store them on board wear one. A stowed PFD does you no good if your get separated from your kayak or are knocked unconscious in the surf.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:29 PM   #7
eDUBz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
Dont just store them on board wear one. A stowed PFD does you no good if your get separated from your kayak or are knocked unconscious in the surf.
Yes thats what i meant thanks for looking out. I'll have both with me with one on.