Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2013, 12:08 AM   #1
Phaen
Junior

Post HELP!!!

Hey Guys,

So first let me apologize if all of this information is in an earlier post/posts. I have read quite a few posts on here and have found myself submerged in way to much information for my skill level.

So here's the deal, about 2 years ago me and the girlfriend were looking for a fun outdoor activity we could do together. Since we live so close to the water kayaking was a great fit. Started looking into different kayaks and I knew that if I bought this thing I would want it to be more than just a "paddle around the bay" rig. I wanted to be able to fish out of this thing if I ever learned how to. I ended up buying a Tandem Hobie Outfitter.

Well, since work and life never seem to slow down I have yet to learn how to fish out of this thing. That is going to change starting now. I am finally forcing myself to get this hobby started.

Heres a little about me. Grew up in a small town in Minnesota. Have been hunting my entire life with bowhunting/bowfishing being my passion. I have been shooting a bow for about 20 years. My fishing skills are pretty minimal. Obviously grew up fishing in the lakes back home but have never considered myself a "fisherman".

So I have this bada** yak that I would like to start hunting ocean critters with but have no idea on how to do it. I am going to start by fishing in a couple of the local lakes and getting a feel for the balance in the yak with a fish on the end of the pole. Most of you guys on here seem to be pretty knowledgeable in this sport. Obviously with space being a premium on a yak your set up will be pretty important. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. What I really need is a good mentor that can show me the ropes on how everything is done. I am a visual learner and pick things up very fast. But if I spend all my time reading how to do things rather than actually doing them I will get no where.

If anyone is heading out into any of the lakes or maybe the bay and wouldnt mind taking along an apprentice just let me know! I wouldnt even have to bring fishing gear the first couple of times, just follow in your wake and observe.

At this point I have not started purchasing my gear either. Mainly because I have no dam clue what I need. I bought a basic freshwater rod and reel just to get me started but thats it. Going to get some freshwater tackle and other basics this weekend. So if any of you have any suggestions on the NECESSITIES and where to get them that would be great as well. And if you have any used gear you would like to sell I am in the market!

Thank you guys in advance for all of your help!

Cheers
Phaen
Phaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:52 AM   #2
Baja_Traveler

Your basic freshwater gear will be perfect for fishing the bays, and thats where you should start to get to know the yak and general saltwater fishing. No need for a bait tank, as swim baits work just as well for the bay bass. Drop that thing into Mission or San Diego bays and just start fishing!
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:00 AM   #3
easyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
Your basic freshwater gear will be perfect for fishing the bays, and thats where you should start to get to know the yak and general saltwater fishing. No need for a bait tank, as swim baits work just as well for the bay bass. Drop that thing into Mission or San Diego bays and just start fishing!
X2

You didnt say where you were located, unless I completely missed it. Also a pfd and waterproof anything you dont want to get wet. Once you go out a couple times you will realize exactly what you need to change/move around, everytime I go out im still finding stuff on my yak i would like to improve. Welcome to the addiction and happy hunting and tight lines.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
Phaen
Junior

Thanks guys! I live in PB, (yeah, yeah) I can hear your grumbles right now. Been in my same place for 10 years, got a nice quiet place with an unbeatable deal. And I am only a few blocks from the bay so I have a hard time giving this place up.

Question about the bay fish, for the 10 years I have lived here I have always thought of the bay as a nasty polluted body of water that I wouldnt swim in. Do you guys recommend eating anything you catch out of the bay? I am getting older and wish my body bounced back like it used to but I dont wanna grow an extra toe or anything...
Phaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
ful-rac
Emperor

I wouldn't mind eating a halibut out of the bay, they constantly move in and out so I wouldn't see a problem with eating one of those. Lobster is another one, I don't think anybody has a problem with eating out of the bay. Everything else....ya probably would be ok eating bass and stuff like that out of the bay...but I wouldn't make a habit out of it...although some guys do, and love it....
Old 06-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
raffman55

I'm probably heading out to SD Bay Sunday morning, drop me a line if you wanna' feesh. Tom