Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
Phaen
Junior

Kayak Ballast Weight

Are any of you fishing solo from a tandem yak? I have a tandem Hobie Outfitter and am comfortable in it by myself cruisin around the bay but curious as to how it reacts trying to break through the surf and in the swells. I am wondering how much weight is needed in the front to balance it out enough to perform somewhat normal?

I was thinking of putting a 5 gallon camp shower bag up in the front cockpit. Filled that will weigh around 42lbs. Looking for any pointers or ideas.

Thanks
Phaen
Phaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

I'm wondering the same thing myself. I have a tandem Tarpon that I can ride in the middle solo, but then my gear is so far in the back. I would think it advantageous to ride in the back, but it's slower and doesn't feel like it handles as smoothly. Is it preference or is there a correct way to go about it?
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
FishNinjaY

there's been other post here also about this topic.. no clear "right" answer. Some people sit up front. I was thinking of trying this on my Hobie Oasis. The only issue is the rod holders, and my current fishfinder config. I was thinking of sitting up front, and having my bait tank on the floor in back, right above the rear mirage drive hole. I'll drop the inflow tubing down that hole.

Likewise, if I decide to stay in the rear seat, which is what I'm most used to when I kayak with my son, I'm considering putting my bait tank in the front seat for ballast. My tank can hold up to 8 gal, which is almost 72lbs! That'd be plenty of ballast up front. I would have it facing back, so I would reach forward to get bait out of the tank.

I'd also like to hear people's thoughts and advice on this. Right now, when I go solo in the back, with the bait tank behind me, my bow is way up and there's a ton of hull slap. I usually decrease my bait tank to about 4-5gals just to lessen the weight and the water sloshing around back there.
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:49 AM   #4
maui jim

I fish in a Cobra tandem, and have for ever, all I have ever know.
Its a very stable platform, but to each there own,
:cool
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130706_073830.jpg (51.2 KB, 143 views)
Old 07-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #5
Phaen
Junior

Do you use any type of weight in the front Jim?
Phaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
easyday

When I had my cobra tandem thats exactly where I had my seat and it was stable no ballast needed.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
Cabbron
Junior

I have a hobie oasis and what I do is take an empty four gallon ice chest. If the wind and swell picks up I fill it with sea water and put it as far forward as I can. That really seems to help. I wouldn't want to use anything that's not easy to fill and empty quickly. I haven't tried it with my live well but I think I'll just set it to not fill as high as usual. Besides, it would only really be an issue on long moves when you pick up speed, not while fishing. I wouldn't really need it at all but I like to move fast through the white caps on the way back in, it's kinda fun.
Cabbron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #8
FishNinjaY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbron View Post
I have a hobie oasis and what I do is take an empty four gallon ice chest. If the wind and swell picks up I fill it with sea water and put it as far forward as I can. That really seems to help. I wouldn't want to use anything that's not easy to fill and empty quickly. I haven't tried it with my live well but I think I'll just set it to not fill as high as usual. Besides, it would only really be an issue on long moves when you pick up speed, not while fishing. I wouldn't really need it at all but I like to move fast through the white caps on the way back in, it's kinda fun.
Welcome to BWE Cabbron!

That's a great idea! And, the ice chest would also be handy if you catch a lot of fish for ballast. I've also heard some people keep a large dry bag, that they can fill with a few gals of sea water quickly for ballast. That might be easier to pack and deploy if needed, like in the wind/swell situation you described.
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:40 AM   #9
Cabbron
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNinjaY View Post
Welcome to BWE Cabbron!

That's a great idea! And, the ice chest would also be handy if you catch a lot of fish for ballast. I've also heard some people keep a large dry bag, that they can fill with a few gals of sea water quickly for ballast. That might be easier to pack and deploy if needed, like in the wind/swell situation you described.
Hey man, thanks!

Yeah, that would be better because a bag would mold itself nicely to the bottom and your center of gravity would be even lower. I have been known to keep a few celebratory alcoholic beverages in that cooler which were eventually replaced with fish!
Cabbron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:54 AM   #10
maui jim

No ballast ever needed. With all the gear an such,, plus your fish will need some room below, :-)
Old 07-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #11
YakMedic

My dad also has an outfitter, I took him out last week for his first time solo and we found out a ballast is needed. Its an older outfitter and the rudder can only be controlled from the rear seat I'm not sure if it is different on the newer boats. While sitting in the rear seat the kayak was not on plane, we pulled on to the shoreline of the lake and threw a chunk of granite into the front seat and it made all the difference.

He now has a couple of filled sand bags he plans on throwing in the front seat the next time he uses it solo.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #12
steveooo

On my Hobie Oasis, I filled the extra mirage drive plug with lead shot. Worked good to balance the kayak out.

I lost that one day and started just throwing a dry-bag filled with water up in the front. That worked a little bit better, because if I got a nice fish, I could just empty out the dry bag and toss the fish up front.

One thing I did like, was having no ballast up front during surf landings. Having the bow that high in the air made it nearly impossible to flip the yak in the surf on the way in.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote