Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2008, 12:45 PM   #1
45king

NPH 4/11 going off. X13 review!!!!!!!

Let me start by saying the fishing is great in newport right now. 3 hrs of fishing for 11 spotties and sandbass, 8 yfc,and a 2.5-3lb spotfin.
Fished this morning in newport. Took the new x-13 out and was really excited to see what the outcome would be. There were rumors coming in that anyone over 200 lbs that paddles the x13 would sit in 2 inches of water. Not true. Im a hefty 210 and it was cool. The only bad thing I can say about the yak is that at a fast paddle water shoots upwards through the scupper holes located at the foot well area. Not too bad though. The water drains out fairly fast and only about 1/2 to 1 inch of water collects but doesnt effect your tracking or anything like that.It is completely dry and empty when you are just drifting or at a stand still. The water sits inside the footwell and doesnt get your butt all wet because there is a 2-3 inch drop from your butt the the footwell. Almost like a small step so it doesnt creep up your shorts. haha.The other thing I noticed was when I opened up the front hatch to toss my catch inside I noticed that it also collect water inside. Not too much. I would say maybe 1/6 of it had water inside. At first I was like wtf. Is there something I did wrong. I was a bit nervous at first and decided to check the inside hull to see if it had water inside. It was dry as a whistle so I went and dumped the fish inside. 1/2 an hour later I went to drop my other catch inside and to my surprise the first little bastard was swimming around inside. hmmm. I was thinking to myself how cool, Its kind of like a livewell without the whole thing being submerged in water. I caught a 3lb spotfin that was a bit too big to swim around, but he stayed alive for a while. If you dont want the water inside the hatch area its an easy fix with a simple plug in the scupper hole. I tried to see how fast I can get it going and see how the tracking was on the x13, but it was a bit difficult to judge with a slight wind in my face. I was overall impressed by it. Very stable and fast. For the 200+ pounders I would say its a bit of a wet ride with your seat absorbing most of the water, but Its not bad at all. I dont mind a slightly wet ass cause at the end of the day its not about being wet, its what you caught right?
From 1-10 I rate this yak a solid 8. There is plenty of room to bump it though. Like I said I didnt get to do the distance paddling I usually would like to do. You guys will not be disappointed. Its diffrent then the extreme and xfactor for sure. At 29 inches wide it is still as stable as my extreme.
Oh yeah the fishing in newport is going off right now too. heres a few pictures.
This kayak rocks. Thanks Andy At OEX sunset beach for hooking me up.
Mad props the Malibu Kayak for coming out with this new beast.

Last edited by 45king; 04-11-2008 at 01:12 PM.
45king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:15 PM   #2
Dennis

Thanks for the review, Danny.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
45king

its my short version sorry. I was up early and taking care of the kid now. If anyone has any question please ask because I know I forgot something
45king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:31 PM   #4
Shawn

G'Day from Downunder,

Thanks very much for sharing that. I will be recieving the X-13's here in Australia in about 5 weeks, we are very excited.

At long last something to hit the P13's right where they don't like it.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my P15, but I think Malibu are really taking onboard customer feed back and are coming up with the goods. I personally believe it wont be long before Malibu really will be a contender for the Numero uno spot as a "purpose built Fishing Kayak Manufacture, everyone else seems to have fallen asleep

Shawn
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote