Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2008, 08:49 PM   #1
Spyder

4/21 SD Bay/ Afternoon Mixed Bag

Met up with my wingman Sherm at SI around 4:00. He hadn't been on the water in almost 2 weeks so he was ready to get out and feesh.

Launched into a moderate wind and incoming tide. Paddled out to our "go to" sand bass spot. Feesh were caught by both of us on the 1st drift. Every drift after that we were both catching at least a few feesh each.

I was paddling back to set up for another drift when I noticed Scott's bottom rig go bendo. Watched him reel up a REALLY nice flattie. THEN, I watched him turn away to grab his lip-grippers and I got to see that big flattie actually spit out the lure and give a big tail splash and head for the bottom. A major bummer indeed.....

Wind died down and so did the tide a bit but the bite stayed good. We finally let the drift take us back towards the launch. Right between and along the moored boats it went wide open again for both spotties and a few sandies. Finally called it a night around 7:30 pm and left them biting.

We both did pretty well for a Monday afternoon of feeshin . My mixed count was 8 sandies, 6 spotties, 2 sugar bass, and 1 rattler. All C&R'ed, all caught using a variety of Power & Gulp baits smothered in Uni-Butter.

Passed on the good karma to a fellow BD'er at the sand that we kicked down some leadheads & lures to. Hope ya got a few buddy.

Peace,

Spyder
Attached Thumbnails
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:48 AM   #2
lamb

Nice! You guys own the Bay...

I managed to sneak out to Big Bay on Sunday as well.

I launched at 6:00 AM with my dear friend Bill.

Bill is new to fishing, new to kayaking...

Lots to learn.

Started at Lawrence Street, worked out to the bait barge, loaded some deans and worked our way back. Fishing was on a slow side... I did have some halibut signing up, but didn't connect with any. Bill got his first fish on the kayak ... I had a few.

Pretty sculpin:

Where are these big turds on the tourneys?

OK for setting the hook on a barge, but upside down reel?? Lots to learn.

Only the view of a sunrise over downtown was worth it:

Great times.

~25# halibut the guy on aluminum skiff picked up right next to us would have made my day.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:18 PM   #3
Sherm

Adi,

You'll have to get out with us next time. I keep running into you in LJ or the bay. We never do get to fish together. Hope to see you soon. Still need to talk business with you as well. I may be hitting the water on Sunday. give me a PM when you get a chance. I also don't know where the big turdrollers go on tourney day.

Sherm

Some pics from that day
Attached Images

Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote