Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2015, 11:27 AM   #1
mpc

That wasn't supposed to happen.

I launched in Carlsbad with high expectations this morning. Surf was a bit bigger than I was expecting. I waited for a break in the waves, but I didn't get clear fast enough and dumped it. Got it righted and waited for the next lull. Same thing; I couldn't get clear before the bigger waves came again. I tried to punch through, but my front hatch got pulled of by the wave and I got swamped. Didn't lose anything except my crate, which obviously wasn't tied down as good as I thought it was.
Today I was the bug. I hope some of you are the windshield this weekend.
mpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 03:54 PM   #2
DanaPT

What's worse is when you lost some gear. Live and learn. No risk no reward.

You Get To Try again.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:16 PM   #3
Whiteboy

Sucks. Waves were up at La jolla also.
Whiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:46 AM   #4
LawDog

Always remember that if you question the launch then the landing will be way worse.
LawDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:52 AM   #5
Whiteboy

Shit never question anything. Strap everything down and go for it. Worry about the landing later. FYI you can land a kayak in any waves we will have here. If you have to lay on back of your yak with legs in water dragging. Will solve any landing problems you will have and get you to shore safe. Getting out is best if you can have a buddy give you a shove. It's that going backwards after the wave passes that screws everything up. If you are already on yak when wave hits then you go backwards. Stand there till wave is under yak then shove your yak forward hop on and paddle for everything your worth. And always let the most experienced push you out or you push them. I have had a lot of luck launching people for their first time this way and la jolla was rough last week. 4 ft waves. Good luck next time.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:55 AM   #6
Whiteboy

I usually hop on my yak on my knees. It's faster than trying to sit and you can get a lot more pull from your knees than from your bum. Also look for rip current. They are your best frien . Big waves usually have rips with them.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:02 PM   #7
mpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteboy View Post
Shit never question anything. Strap everything down and go for it. Worry about the landing later.
Ha ha, love it! I was going to try backing it in if needed. I'm not giving up on launching there. I just need to be more patient and try to time it better.
I'll be back (Arnold voice).
mpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:10 PM   #8
Whiteboy

Great attitude. You will be back and get on fish out there I'm sure of it. You've got 99% of what you need. A good attitude. Good luck next time.