Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-18-2017, 10:43 AM   #1
mrpoolsclosed
Junior

Mission bay to point loma kelp beds

I recently moved back to san diego. Used to be an avid kayak fisherman over 5 years ago. A few la jolla and tourmaline street trips. Endless bay trips in both san diego and mission bay.

I would like to fish the point loma kelp beds and was thinking of launching from mission bay, then making the paddle out. Mileage doesn't seem too far and weather has been great.

Any suggestions on areas I should fish from mb channel to the point loma kelp?

I was going to make the trip solo, bad idea?
mrpoolsclosed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:54 AM   #2
kirkdavis

Plan ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpoolsclosed View Post
I recently moved back to san diego. Used to be an avid kayak fisherman over 5 years ago. A few la jolla and tourmaline street trips. Endless bay trips in both san diego and mission bay.

I would like to fish the point loma kelp beds and was thinking of launching from mission bay, then making the paddle out. Mileage doesn't seem too far and weather has been great.

Any suggestions on areas I should fish from mb channel to the point loma kelp?

I was going to make the trip solo, bad idea?
Going solo is not a problem if you are prepared. I carry a radio, and of course all of the other safety stuff. I try to go with the flow on tides. It is a struggle to go against the tide. The mouth can get pretty hairy, especially in the dark, and with all of the boats racing out in the early morning. Once you get into open water, I just turn south and start exploring. there's kind of a ledge out at bout 100' where you can find rocky areas, and kelp between there and the shore. Kelp is kinda scarce on the surface right now but, you can find it.
Not a lot of big fish action but rockfish, bass... almost always catch dinner.
I did catch the biggest fish of my life out there last fall, about 80 pound black sea bass.
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:03 AM   #3
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

I usually fish alone. Maybe that's not such a good idea out in the ocean. It's nice to have help if we need it. I always look at water and weather conditions before I go.

For outside the bays, I check this:
http://www.surf-forecast.com/

Inside the bays, I like this one:
http://www.tides4fishing.com/
Old 07-18-2017, 09:01 PM   #4
mrpoolsclosed
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkdavis View Post
Going solo is not a problem if you are prepared. I carry a radio, and of course all of the other safety stuff. I try to go with the flow on tides. It is a struggle to go against the tide. The mouth can get pretty hairy, especially in the dark, and with all of the boats racing out in the early morning. Once you get into open water, I just turn south and start exploring. there's kind of a ledge out at bout 100' where you can find rocky areas, and kelp between there and the shore. Kelp is kinda scarce on the surface right now but, you can find it.
Not a lot of big fish action but rockfish, bass... almost always catch dinner.
I did catch the biggest fish of my life out there last fall, about 80 pound black sea bass.
Thanks for the info! Will def be going out sometime in the next week. Hoping for some big calicos, etc.
mrpoolsclosed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:16 AM   #5
FullFlavorPike

Back in the day, when the kelps were thick and leafy, I've seen more toad calicos in one day of diving Pt Loma than in a whole year of diving LJ.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hobie, mission bay, ob pier, point loma, sunset cliffs