Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-12-2018, 08:04 AM   #1
Ojos_raros

Hobie livewell old version

If you have one, how do you like it? My wife bought me one for my bday - it has a beautiful design and looks very functional! Have you tried attached something like this to screen out crap in the water?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41dmuuFoNML.jpg (22.2 KB, 134 views)

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment -Buddha
Ojos_raros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:26 AM   #2
FISH11

I have the older tank and the pump used to suck up eel grass all the time out at La Jolla. I also had that screen from another pump. What I did was to cut out a small circle out of the screen and then inserted inside the Hobie tank inlet hose, up against the plastic inlet end. That made all the difference. The size of the screen holes is large enough to not restrict the flow and still keep the eel grass out, without altering the clearance under the hull.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:00 AM   #3
Ojos_raros

How do you like the livewell overall? How many sardines can you keep alive and for how long can you keep them alive?

On my old livewell, 4 gallon capacity, bilge pump 500 gallons per hour, I could not keep more than 5 sardines alive.

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment -Buddha
Old 06-12-2018, 09:22 AM   #4
Cronus
Cheat to win

I took a 90 degree fitting and cut the elbow out of it. This gives it a nice rounded surface so its not as easy to get clogged. Used the net from an old fish tank as a screen. It is glued on and does not really need the rubber band. Fits through the scupper hole. I saw it somewhere and copied it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180610_064807_resized.jpg (32.1 KB, 120 views)
Cronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:58 PM   #5
NICKWORN

mesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojos_raros View Post
If you have one, how do you like it? My wife bought me one for my bday - it has a beautiful design and looks very functional! Have you tried attached something like this to screen out crap in the water?
I used mesh from an outter pocket on a book bag and tapped it around, works like a champ past 3 years or so. 2-3 good kicks and shes siphoning water. No eel grass whats so ever.
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:16 PM   #6
Ojos_raros

How long can you keep sardines alive in there?

Old 06-12-2018, 04:18 PM   #7
DanaPT

anchovies don't last long for me.

I use a nylon lint filter made for sinks, zip tied to the intake tube to prevent
the clogs.

AND to help keep bait alive,you can use 3/4 PVC slip it over the existing stand pipe and expand the capacity of water. I add the extension before I get a fresh scoop. Sardines will last all day BUT they don't like to be crowded.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:48 PM   #8
FISH11

I catch my own Greenback (Pacific) Macs or Spanish Macs. They hold up the best, some times I catch sardines but I know they won't live long in the tank and neither do anchovies. I found that sardines you need to pin on right away and handle as little as possible to increase their life expectancy. I really don't like using Sardines or anchovies, mostly because they are weak swimmers. The Sardines I have caught if not handled while removing from the Sabiki will still be alive at least a couple hours. The Macs are alive and strong all day long.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:31 PM   #9
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

I put a piece of drain screen in mine. It works perfect.

Then I lost the whole intake tube assembly. I bought a new one yesterday for $8-something at the Hobie store. Big improvement. Has it's own weed filter and the plastic tube is improved so it doesn't expand and contract as much as the originals.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:36 AM   #10
fourtogo

Intake screen

I used sink strainer from dollar store . Form it over a broom handle secure it with shrink tubing.
fourtogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:42 AM   #11
fourtogo

Intake screen

Bought sink screen from dollar store . Formed it over a broom handle trim too fit . Held in place with a piece of shrink tubing .
fourtogo is offline   Reply With Quote