Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2014, 09:32 AM   #1
fishyhutjr
Junior

hobie outback rudder cable

It seems like the rudder cable on my yak is very wore. About to break. Is it hard to change it on my own so should I just take it to OEX? How much would it cost me to have it replace and have it serviced?
fishyhutjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:38 AM   #2
jorluivil

Its pretty easy to fix, I did it myself once on my outback.

If the line hasn't busted it'll be that much easier to replace, just attach the new line to the old line and run it thru.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:26 PM   #3
TJones

I have not done it.

But have seen post on hobies site . Giving full instructions on replacement . Like mentioned above , using old cable as a pull trough will make it that much easier . Someone should chime in with address of hyperlink . .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:29 PM   #4
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
Someone should chime in with address of hyperlink . .

I nominate you, TJones

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #5
TJones

I was hoping

You would do the leg work .
Old 11-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #6
TJones

When I try to be

Mr. Nice guy and help the the new guy , I get skunko. Screwit . I'm going fishing . .
Old 11-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #7
LPetro
Junior

The twist and stow lines or the steering lines?

The steering lines are real easy to replace. do as the guys have said if the line hasn't broke. Just make sure to "tune" the steering line with the rudder before you tighten the lines down. If it's the up and down/ twist and stowlines the replacement can be a little more tricky. Either way you can find a PDF on the hobie sight if you feel like learning the inner workings of your hobie. If not take it into a dealer and they'll replace them. I've replaced a fair amount of both up and down lines and steering lines. As a side note i used a really thin accessory cord to replace my old left steering line rather than the factory cord and it works great. Just make sure that if you use a different cord than what it is static and dose not have significant stretch when wet.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Twist-n-Stow_Repair_Manual.pdf (965.2 KB, 24 views)
LPetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:57 PM   #8
TJones

Good man

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPetro View Post
The steering lines are real easy to replace. do as the guys have said if the line hasn't broke. Just make sure to "tune" the steering line with the rudder before you tighten the lines down. If it's the up and down/ twist and stowlines the replacement can be a little more tricky. Either way you can find a PDF on the hobie sight if you feel like learning the inner workings of your hobie. If not take it into a dealer and they'll replace them. I've replaced a fair amount of both up and down lines and steering lines. As a side note i used a really thin accessory cord to replace my old left steering line rather than the factory cord and it works great. Just make sure that if you use a different cord than what it is static and dose not have significant stretch when wet.
It's nice to see the young guys have the Spirit . .