Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
umtduckhead

fishing set up

ive been searching bloody decks youtube etc.. i just cant seem to decide what reels in lure set up i need for fishing out here yt, wsb, calico, etc. if someone has the time could you post on here what reel and rod setups you are using or recommend and what lures you all would carry out on a typical day.. sorry to be such a newbie its just its getting down to crunch time and im still up in the air.. thanks
umtduckhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I bet if you use the search feature in this forum, you will find answers to many of your questions. Just type in a word or phrase and you will see lots of threads that may help answer your questions.

Please keep in mind that most of us really do not know much but we are happy to give advice.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:13 AM   #3
umtduckhead

dsafety thanks for the heads up... theres just about 10000000 opinions out there and its hard to pin point..
Old 04-14-2010, 09:35 AM   #4
-scallywag-
Banned

if starting from scratch, and on a budget i would start with:

yoyo rod : probably the most important, this setup should get most use. use it to throw surface irons, crocs, swimsbaits, and of course dropping heavy irons.
rod - anything 6.5 to 7ft 30-50lb rod, the lighter weight the better
reel - hi-speed 6:1 reels such as the sealine 40, penn545 (no 500's), shimano speedmaster, or the more expensive torium, saltist exc....(i've been seeing the penn 545,535's on ebay selling for like $40-50, which is a killer deal and they are all easy to rebuild)
line - 40lb mono

Bait rod : used for fishing live bait, trolling, fishing the kelp.
rod - 6-7ft, 20-50lb rating
reel - i really like 4:1 leverdrag reels for this application, shimano TLD15.
line - #65 powerpro spectra and use short leaders of 20-40lb flouro connected via barrel swivel

Sabiki - any cheap rod and reel you have laying around will work, later on you will probably upgrade your yoyo setup and use the old yoyo setup as your sabiki. Then you can start using a "super sabiki" which is just a 30 or 50lb mainline sabiki with a j-hook iron (or knife jig) tied to the end instead of a torpedo sinker

Later on once you get a feel for what rods and reels you like, you will probably add a few more bait setups, and a jigstick for plugs.

Irons, specra, flouro, and new reels can get pretty pricey, if you are in san diego stop by squidco, they have all that stuff on the cheap, and usually have great sales. quality seeker, calstar, exc... rods are way out of my price range new but you can get them super cheap used, john(fishaholic) and a few others have tons of quality stuff right now.

Now get out there and fish!! We can't wait to see your first big fish post
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
Jimmyz123

That was a great post, it confirmed my approach to myself. Now as soon as my DR gives me to O.K. to go out, I'll be there.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:36 AM   #6
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Well said for a first setup.
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:40 AM   #7
umtduckhead

awesome post.. thanks everyone for the help.. much appreciated.. ill have to check out squidco forsure...