Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2011, 10:37 PM   #1
Whizz Bang

Opening

Met up with DeepDvr around 1040pm at the launch. When I arrived there were a few guys already headed out, and I watched them launch. A couple of the guys seemed to linger in the surf zone and I thought I was going to have to get wet early lending a hand with the aftermath, but they all made it out. It was a shore break with a very short interval, completely manageable but unavoidably sloppy.

As we set up I could not help but notice that DeepDvr has a well thought out contraption that keeps his gear in order. Myself, I look like a gypsy with $hit hanging off everywhere. Definitely something I am going to have to replicate if I dont want to start losing gear in the zone.

It was a good night on the water, not too crowded and the bioluminescence was insane. It took us awhile to find a productive area, but the persistence paid off. Our spot continued to produce throughout the night until a territorial dog showed up that began harassing both us and our pots effectively shutting us down in that area. We hung till around 4am before calling it. I managed 6 keepers with one notable big boy. I was using salmon heads and DeepDvr's cryogenically preserved mackerel. The combo was effective.

DFG was on hand to welcome us when we landed. Make sure you guys measure twice and fill out the pertinent info ahead of time, he was ticketing another yakker when we landed.

Below are a few pics from today....

Name:  391.jpg
Views: 1509
Size:  94.5 KB

This was the biggest of the bunch.

Name:  395.jpg
Views: 1445
Size:  36.3 KB

Lobster stuffed Baby Bella with Watercress Beurre Blanc.

Name:  398.jpg
Views: 1494
Size:  36.9 KB

Eggplant Timbale with goat cheese and heirloom tomatoes

Name:  404.jpg
Views: 1492
Size:  70.9 KB

Grilled lobster with chive sauce and 4 pepper salsa.
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:27 AM   #2
StinkyMatt

WOW!

That is some great eats there, incredible presentation.

Love the mushroom/ lobster combo.

I think I may try it on Sunday with my loot.

Congratulations!

(Cute kid)
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:18 AM   #3
Dan

best bwe food shots ever. no question.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:40 AM   #4
xpresso2am

beautiful! now im hungry
xpresso2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:19 AM   #5
bellcon

Damn Eric

you need to open a restaurant...
maybe a nice little place somewhere on Avenida De La Playa?

Old 10-02-2011, 08:04 AM   #6
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Awesome job out there Eric, and the photos just make me jealous!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:05 AM   #7
romspacenut

Nice job and that Lobster stuffed Baby Bella looks yummy!
romspacenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:13 AM   #8
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

I would ask you to teach my wife to cook, but knowing that you are so good she might not come back to me.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #9
deepdvr

Holy smokes. I showed my wife those picks and she asked when you guys are coming over for dinner. I quickly corrected her.....when are we going over there for dinner?

You're like a prized truffle-hunting pig going after those bugs. Every time I looked over you were stuffing another legal in the bait tank. Well done dude!!! Thanks for the hookup as well!!!

We better go finish raping that honey hole before anyone else finds it.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:51 PM   #10
yani

Wow! Wow!!

I really can't tell which looks the best,
your daughter or the great food. Awesome!
Old 10-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #11
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Eric please bring some of that divine food out with you next time. How about a couple salmon fillets for piece of that looooooob ster
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:07 AM   #12
Limits
Kayak Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
X2!

I never ask for location info (very tacky IMHO) but will ask...for your recipe! What is in that chive sauce? Sounds delish!
Old 10-03-2011, 06:00 AM   #13
j mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
x 2!

the game has been elevated
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:38 PM   #14
Whizz Bang

Thanks guys for the kind words.

Edberg, we will do dinner at my place soon.

Don, I will probably never work in a professional kitchen again, maybe we can talk Chef T into setting up shop at the shores and we can trade him fish for restaurant credit

Kevin, whatever it takes to get my hands on some of that salmon, I am in. Also, I am going to have to ask you to clear your schedule, I need my reels done, and judging from the noises they have been making, you will have your hands full.

Wiredantz, as my wife put it: If your wife ever saw the complete destruction I bring to a kitchen, you would have nothing to worry about.

Limits, forget the chive sauce, master the beurre blanc. Start with the juice of a few lemons(you can also use vinegar or white wine or both), a chopped shallot, and maybe a minced clove of garlic. Reduce to au sec (almost dry like 2 tbsp of liquid) add a 1/2 cup of heavy cream and reduce again until nice and thick and remove from the heat. Whisk in a stick of butter cut into pieces one or two slices at a time. season with a little salt and maybe a touch of white pepper.

Use this as a base for any sauce paired with seafood grilled, broiled, or baked. You can add any assortment of herbs. You can blend with a cup of watercress or just add a chopped handful of parsley, tarragon, dill, chervil, chives, or capers etc.

For plating and a contrast of flavors, you can lay down a layer of sauce and then add a dollop of roasted red pepper puree or red chili sauce on top of it. Then you get to draw fancy star patterns with a toothpick by running it from the center of the red out into the base layer (much like arts and crafts in kindergarten, you are limited only by your imagination).

The beurre blanc is not a classic mother sauce(ie the base of many other sauces), but it might as well be. As long as you are using cream, it is also fairly forgiving, give it a shot.
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:13 PM   #15
griffsd06

WHOA!

I'm sure you are a chef at some crazy fusion restaurant. I've spent alot more time in the kitchen than chasing bugs and I have to agree with the guys that looks phenomenal!

Great job on the bugs as well!
griffsd06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:55 AM   #16
Deamon

I'm not a chef in any way, shape or form but if I were able to produce that...I'd have the corners of the tail meat and maybe parts of the inside pinched off and eaten by the time it got to my family or friends. Maybe backfill it will some whole kernel corn (white only) and/or seasoned stuffing out of the box with a fresh born-on date of course...looks yummy...
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:18 PM   #17
GregAndrew

:d rool5::dro ol5:
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:43 PM   #18
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limits View Post
X2!

I never ask for location info (very tacky IMHO) but will ask...for your recipe! What is in that chive sauce? Sounds delish!
me too, recipes are cool in here, I use them quite frequently, thanks for sharin'
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #19
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizz Bang View Post
...forget the chive sauce, master the beurre blanc. Start with the juice of a few lemons(you can also use vinegar or white wine or both), a chopped shallot, and maybe a minced clove of garlic. Reduce to au sec (almost dry like 2 tbsp of liquid) add a 1/2 cup of heavy cream and reduce again until nice and thick and remove from the heat. Whisk in a stick of butter cut into pieces one or two slices at a time. season with a little salt and maybe a touch of white pepper.
Thx for this . I'll take my "F" for presentation points, but I did make this sauce tonight with some . Super tasty.

steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote