Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 02:18 PM   #1
Iceman
Administrator

10/19 quality mottled bycatch

The kind of surf that you can just step right over and plop it down in the seat met me this morning. The lone chucklehead rides again. I saw your car (Brad) on my landing, tried to get you on 71 with not luck. BTW the launch was taped off, the hightides eroded a nice channel and if you timed your landing, you could get the nose of your yak on the cement, I came close. Slight offshore breeze, turned to around 8-10 kts out of the north later in the morning. Decent current running the opposite of the wind and 10 feet of visibility. Water looked alot better up north on Monday. There was a report of some WSB taken from the beach over the weekend, on swimbaits, so I decided to try in tight. Made a few spanish and sardine and headed around the point. The birds diving outside the surf kept pulling me further and further south. Had good luck with the calicos, on bait and plastics. They ate all my bait and trying to get some more, I managed a few surf perch on the sabiki. It was a fun morning playing C&R with the turdroller's prettier cousin.

Old 10-19-2005, 04:54 PM   #2
skiffman

Calicos

Hey Andy, I know that honey hole very well. I'm going up that way Thursday or Friday. WTG. Kelvin
Old 10-20-2005, 07:51 AM   #3
madscientist

I had a wrotten day. Got up late (6:30) because I forgot to set the alarm. Decided to go anyway. Made bait and went north on a tip from a friend. First drift one bait gets zinged but no hookup. Fourth drift I throw iron and immediately hook up. Feels flat and at color it's a nice 15-20lb halibut. As I'm planning my gaff strategy it comes unbuttoned and sinks away. Keeping working the area for a couple other hits and a sand bass. Birds working out deep. No more action.

Head home, take my brother to the train station and half way home my car starts to run really rough. Get off the interstate and it dies as I roll into the service station. 4 hours later the guy still can't figure it out so I order a rental. So much for my plans of returning for revenge. Early meeting Friday means I'm screwed for a while. Ugh.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote