Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
Jonesyak

Best bait casting combo for a yak?

Hey guys,

Im heading to the Fred Hall Show tomorrow and I want to look for a bait casting combo for targeting bass...

Whats the best rod/reel combo for ocean bass fishing?

Thanks!
-Aaron
Old 03-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #2
Mobsan

Setup

I loved my Shimano Curado 200E and Clarus. Unfortunately I lost it when I dumped coming in. The new Curado 200G is getting a lot of mixed reviews and the major complaint is that it just seems cheaper and lighter. Shimano is able to sell the new G series for about $20 less then the E, which leads me to believe lower production costs d/t cheaper materials. On the upswing, the new bearings are supposed to be a little better and more corrosion resistant. The Shimanos are now being made in Malaysia opposed to Japan. I think Shimanos are still nice reels though. Just pick a reel you like and then match it to a nice 7' stick that feels balanced with it. I just started ocean fishing last year though, so my experience and knowledge base is rather limited. Hopefully some of the old pros will chime in before you take off to the show and steer you in the right direction. Have fun today and happy shopping.

Last edited by Mobsan; 03-23-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Mobsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
Mobsan

Or the 300E

I think the Shimano 300E is still made in Japan and goes for around $250. With 15lbs of drag it can handle YT. This is not from my own personal experience of course, but from my internet readings. I kinda want to get one now. I think it is a very sexy reel as well.
Mobsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
tacmik

Try Squidco. Let them know what you are targeting and the price range you have. They will set you up.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
Amish Ed

How much do you want to spend. A Curado 200 or 300 paired to a 7'6" 15-30# Teramar would be perfect. Shooting Star makes a comparable rod that retails about $40 less. And/or you could get a Cardiff instead of a Curado and save another $50.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
JeffB

All I have is Shimano Curado 300's and 200's and it's all I have thrown for literally like 12yrs with a chronarch and citica here and there. The only downer is they are not super great in saltwater. You forget to rinse your reel off once or twice and then your replacing bearings. The drag is a little on the light side too.

I just bought a new reel to try out and it is my new favorite reel hands down, Okuma Cj 273. It's the size of a Curado 50 and holds almost as much line as my 300. I love using it in the bay and even fish it in 165'-200' for rock fish with my lucanus jigs. The reel has enough drag power to handle giant fish. It is smoother than all my shimano's and way more powerful too.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
robmandel

lo-pro reels:

high end - revo inshore. light, stronger than shit, huge drag, great reel. fished them a few times. love them. too rich for my wallet!! comes with carbon fiber drags, need to grease them.

mid end: daiwa coastal inshore. love mine. upgraded drags to greased carbon.

personally, I'd take either over a new curado. even the older ones.

round reels:

mid end: abu record. it's my main reel for throwing slugs. again, comes with CF drags, just need grease.

high end: daiwa luna. absolutely awesome reel. super strong, smooth, etc.

probably guess I'm not a real big shimmy guy. I'd personally take the above over them. either way load with spectra, 30-40 for the lo-pro, 50-65 for the round. fish with short top shot, 3-4 ft of flouro.

I did see the okuma line in LB. looks very nice. very nice indeed. they have a new inshore lo-pro that is supposed to be tits. wish I had need and money!!

rods...

there's so many good ones to choose from. check out the turners california calico rods. I have several, love them. great deal. terramar is a good rod too. if you're feeling rich, phoenix rods are the shiznit. sorry about lack of model numbers.

guess it all depends on how much cash you got to spend.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #8
jbaker

check out lew's reels. I haven't fished one yet but I played with one in a shop last week. It was pretty nice and the price is pretty good I was looking at the speed spool for $99. felt pretty solid to me.
jbaker is offline   Reply With Quote