Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2014, 10:35 PM   #1
FISH11

La Jolla 10-28-14, Large Tail not Yellow

After finally popping the Kayak Yellow Tail Cherry, I was all set to catch some more Yellows for the freezer. So I went out to La Jolla on Tuesday the 28th, found lots of bait, of the good kind. After loading up I paddled out past the kelp to 140 feet and started one flyline and one dropper loop. Both with large greenies. After loosing them to seals I paddled to a different spot and re-baited, again after some time lost that bait to seals. Paddle some more and finally get hit on the dropper, fight is on and pull is hard, hard to recover line and after about 5 minute line goes slack and when I pull it up the 40 lb flourocarbon is cut just a couple of inches above where the circle hook used to be. Can't understand it, no problem with knotts and no other nicks on line. Re-rig the set up cut several feet of the 65 lb braid tie on new large swivel and new 5' of flourocarbon leader. After drifting for another hour and half I get hit again, this time the pull, shakes are a lot stronger and the fish starts taking me for a sleigh ride. At first it sort distance the some circles and than it just start going west at a fast pace, way faster the I could ever paddle. The kayak is really moving and it easily goes 1/4 mile then slight turn to right make a downward run, then take of to my right and pulls so hard I had to point pole toward bow so it wouldn't roll me over. One more run to west and suddenly the fish seems to jump out of the water make a 180 degree turn in mid air and appears to slap the surface of the water and my line is slack. I pull it in and find the 65lb braid is cut. Just seemed nuts. I had the go pro going so today I downloaded the video and found these frames to pull stills from. It is a little hard to make out, but it appears the the sickle tail is visible on a couple of the stills. That just kind of confirmed what I suspected, that it must have been a Thresher. It still doesn't register how with a slap of the tail it could brake 65lb braid, like nothing. I you have ever experienced some similar story, please chime in. Sorry to ramble, it was just another one of those marvelous La Jolla experiences.
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2014, 01:47 AM   #2
easyday

Yep been broken off the same way a few times by threshers out at newport.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:54 AM   #3
JDW

will you post a short video of the sleigh ride when you get a chance? Sounds like fun! awesome report!
JDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:23 AM   #4
lbsurf2ca

Nice action shots.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:53 AM   #5
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyday View Post
Yep been broken off the same way a few times by threshers out at newport.
Thankfully the water has been too clean for threshers for most of the summer up off dana. They havent been missed, by me anyway.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:38 PM   #6
Cbad Mike

Hell yeah! Nice pics. That's what makes our sport so fun and exciting.
Ive had plenty of "cut" lines from different toothy creatures. Most of the time it is when I allowed the line to go slack. While the lines we use have great pulling strength they get cut with ease by sharp teeth.
I was able to land my T on Saturday because it was hooked perfectly in the corner of its mouth.
Some times I had them just come up easy and relaxed but sometimes they just explode. The one from Saturday jumped a few times including right next to me and missed my kayak by less than a foot and got me with its tail LOL.
See you OTW.