Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 04-04-2017, 01:58 PM   #1
FISH11

Smile La Jolla Kayak Fishing 4-2-17

This last Sunday I went out because it was the best surf and wind window. I was hoping for a nice 30+ lb Yellow to add to the fish I am saving to donate to Heroes on the Water. The last couple of trips were plenty of bait and short bites. Fed plenty of Frickin Fur Bags, they have been a real pain lately. Finally after trying to the north, west and then south towards the mass of boats and other kayaks, I hook up and at first it felt like the right kind, then the jumps and I knew it was a Thresher. The last few I hooked either broke the leader or after a long tow jumped and used their tail to break my braided line. This time using a circle hook I was able to stay on and wanted to get it close before I would decide to try and land it. Got towed around and out a couple extra miles. Man the sleigh ride is always a blast. After about 40 minutes I had him up against the side of the kayak 3 times and I could touch it's tail. He was at least 1/2 the length of my X Factor (14.4') and provably over 100 lbs. I was wore out, at least my left arm was really tired. I figured that by myself it was not a good idea to try and land it since I was alone and more tired than it was. Just as I decide I will cut the line and switch the rod to my left hand so I can grab the knife and the rod tip is still in the water, the Shimano Terez rod just blows up and is in 3 or 4 pieces. I grab the knife and cut the line. The broken pieces and the leader 7' and about 3' of braid all go with the Thresher. That was one of the most awesome experiences I have had at La Jolla while fishing on my Kayaks. I am sending Shimano my broken rod I purchased in November and hope they honor their warranty. Than was a expensive rod, works really well. This one I purchased to use on smaller Yellows under 25 lbs and never thought the first large fish on it would be a large Thresher. With the fishing as slow as it's been this is a great experience I won't ever forget. https://youtu.be/-uf_VusqqZk
Old 04-04-2017, 02:10 PM   #2
WARRIORMIKE

I gave the video a "like" Good job.
WARRIORMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:25 PM   #3
bwana

Shimano will honor your warranty.

I had a lifetime warranty rod bust due to my own fault landing a fish. They replaced it no questions asked.

Nice sleigh ride video. Too bad no video of the rod exploding.
bwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:02 PM   #4
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORMIKE View Post
I gave the video a "like" Good job.
Thank Mike, U Tube just makes it harder to put your own music with all the copyrights. I noticed all the videos I had previously posted, now all show music is copyrighted. They still play, but apparently they have changed the rules now and all new postings even with the disclaimer get muted. That sucks!
Old 04-04-2017, 03:12 PM   #5
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwana View Post
Shimano will honor your warranty.

I had a lifetime warranty rod bust due to my own fault landing a fish. They replaced it no questions asked.

Nice sleigh ride video. Too bad no video of the rod exploding.
Thanks. I know I didn't even know the rear Go Pro had stopped. The front one I had turned off so I could switch the orientation to upside down in order to get the under water shots. It seemed like I could not get him up any closer than 12-15' below for over 15 minutes and was pulling as hard as I dared since this rod was a medium and I had intended it to be my lighter gear for fish under 25 lbs. I was not putting the drag on the Avet MXJ any tighter than about 2/3 to 3/4 so as not to overload the rod. In the end I don't know what he did, use its tail or twisted it against the kayak because he was kind of under my kayak and the leader was just about at the rods tip. I contacted Shimano today and will ship them the rod with the form and a copy of the receipt from Turner's. Thanks Mark.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:01 AM   #6
John M

To keep your arm from getting tired rest the grip of rod on your knee and "rail rod" the fish. Tip of rod will probably be in water but that does not matter.
You can put more pressure on the fish this way and land them faster.
John M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:48 AM   #7
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M View Post
To keep your arm from getting tired rest the grip of rod on your knee and "rail rod" the fish. Tip of rod will probably be in water but that does not matter.
You can put more pressure on the fish this way and land them faster.
Definately, I was doing that later in the fight. I think it's on some of the video. Thanks for the tip. Too bad I couldn't get the shots of the tail up against the kayak with half of it out of the water. Those tails are quite impressive.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:04 PM   #8
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Old 04-05-2017, 07:31 PM   #9
GTboosted

Woah Mark, your new kayak has probably got more action in the few shorts months you own it than others do in years!
Old 04-05-2017, 08:00 PM   #10
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTboosted View Post
Woah Mark, your new kayak has probably got more action in the few shorts months you own it than others do in years!
Yeah Beto that's the X Factor I got from you. It seems to have some good fish JUJU! I love the super stability and it help me work out my arms that don't get that exercise when I use my Hobie Revo. Although this last Sunday they got a lot more work out then I was expecting. After getting towed out farther south and west then I intended, the extra approx. 3 additional miles of padding back on top of the arm tiring 40 minute fight with the Thresher, gave me a big arm work out. Thanks
Old 04-05-2017, 08:31 PM   #11
GTboosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
Yeah Beto that's the X Factor I got from you. It seems to have some good fish JUJU! I love the super stability and it help me work out my arms that don't get that exercise when I use my Hobie Revo. Although this last Sunday they got a lot more work out then I was expecting. After getting towed out farther south and west then I intended, the extra approx. 3 additional miles of padding back on top of the arm tiring 40 minute fight with the Thresher, gave me a big arm work out. Thanks
I bet it was all worth it though! BTW I still have the other stealth and xfactor kayaks. Maybe you can give me the one with the JUJU back. My PA is not optimal for surf. Or do you want to get rid of the revo? hint hint
Old 04-05-2017, 08:44 PM   #12
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTboosted View Post
I bet it was all worth it though! BTW I still have the other stealth and xfactor kayaks. Maybe you can give me the one with the JUJU back. My PA is not optimal for surf. Or do you want to get rid of the revo? hint hint
Ha ha ha! I do like the X Factor better in the surf landing and the extra stability, but the Revo is good going out and a little faster. I was surprised when I first got the Revo that I could pedal the Kayak for 7 or more hours and not have dead legs. They each have their strength and that is the beauty I can switch around which one to use. If anyone is looking for a great kayak they should hit you up for either the X Factor or the Stealth. Although If I were you I would provably switch out the PA for the X Factor. The PA's are a beast to have to haul around, load up on top of a truck or car and as you said when it comes to surfing in, well, let just say it's an experience.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:54 PM   #13
GTboosted

Quote:
Ha ha ha! I do like the X Factor better in the surf landing and the extra stability, but the Revo is good going out and a little faster. I was surprised when I first got the Revo that I could pedal the Kayak for 7 or more hours and not have dead legs. They each have their strength and that is the beauty I can switch around which one to use. If anyone is looking for a great kayak they should hit you up for either the X Factor or the Stealth. Although If I were you I would provably switch out the PA for the X Factor. The PA's are a beast to have to haul around, load up on top of a truck or car and as you said when it comes to surfing in, well, let just say it's an experience.
I hear yah. Actually I am thinking of keeping the stealth for short surf launch runs. Problem is that I trailer the PA and it lives on the trailer. I would need to get a rack for the stealth or xfactor. Decisions decisions

Either way good stuff on that thresher!
Old 04-06-2017, 08:52 AM   #14
octico

I have had 2 Terez rods break on me. Shimano replaced them both with out any questions asked.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:21 PM   #15
batfish
Junior

Great under water footage!!
batfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:03 AM   #16
_Obed
Bird nest master

congrats Mark.
killer video.
_Obed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:00 AM   #17
WARRIORMIKE

Quote:
Thank Mike, U Tube just makes it harder to put your own music with all the copyrights. I noticed all the videos I had previously posted, now all show music is copyrighted. They still play, but apparently they have changed the rules now and all new postings even with the disclaimer get muted. That sucks!

find a song thats a "remix" Or use a song that is "instrumental version" of a song you want. Also you can search on youtube for non copyrighted music
WARRIORMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:35 AM   #18
FISH11

Thanks Mike. when I got the notification of the muting due to copy rights I tried using their list of free music and was good, except it would not let me put more than 1 song and the video was way longer. So I downloaded 3 songs from their list and had to edit my video on the I Movie and then re-submit it to U Tube and delete the original version which already had 67 views. It just makes it a pain, but next time I know what it takes now that they changed things up.