Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 10:10 PM   #41
Kiyo

Damn! Congrats on the fish I was looking for a couple of weeks ago!! Very nice Halibut! !
Old 07-17-2009, 01:40 AM   #42
southboundhound
Junior

unfn'reel fish, Josh.
And even on the slow days, the seagulls bring you cuban cigars,
and the dogs wrangle bait balls at your feet... as siren singing
mermaids beer you... in Josh's magic playground,
every trip is sweet.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:28 AM   #43
habanero

I was fishing with Josh that day since the early morning and decided to call it a day about an hour before he hooked up. (My bad) I didn't see any helicopters, Harrier jets, or any other type of craft that could land on water and take him to Alaska. We were at least 1 hour away from the landing so how did he do it? I suppose Josh has a time travel machine? I'm a pixel nerd myself and I can attest to his lack of skills with photo shop. He can't even open the program much less install it. Josh is an idiot when it comes to computers but who cares! The boy knows how to fish! Congratulations Josh!
Old 07-17-2009, 07:37 AM   #44
DOGHOUSE26

Nice fish Josh, I can hardly wait to read the tutorial on how to strap one of those babies on your yak!
Old 07-17-2009, 01:19 PM   #45
T Bone

Josh- Nice fish!!!

Haters(Bellcon and anyone else)- You dont even know the difference between a Pacific Halibut(Alaskan) and California Halibut(Local type).I can understand a little jealousy(I wish I caught it!)but chill out.As for photoshop comments,there was just nothing in the background close enough to get in the shot.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
Old 07-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #46
dorado50

Both Josh's and Don's stories make for great reads! Keep it up guys.... largest kayak hali ever?. LJ anyways...
Old 07-17-2009, 02:24 PM   #47
blitzburgh

Holly crap.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:28 PM   #48
wade

who cant catch halibut that size, with 10# squid washing up!

just kidding...AMAZING!..w2g!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-17-2009, 04:37 PM   #49
Tandem Assassin

Let's see. Sand on the tail and outer left fin - white water in the back ground where his waders and shirt meet on the right side of the picture - same black hat as last few post. Oh yeah, anyone who fishes LJ lately knows Josh has been has been trying a few new areas scouting for clients.

Great fish Josh! I don't know what to target next time we fish? Yellows, WSB, or Barndoors?
Old 07-17-2009, 07:01 PM   #50
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I'm not sure what to make of Mr. Bellcon's derision of Mr. Darkhorse's incredible catch. My first response was that this was just another lame attempt by some guy with fish-envy trying to blow off some steam. But maybe not.

Josh is a pretty smart guy. This thread has drawn more responses in a day than most do during the entire time they are posted. Could this just be a clever ruse, some sort of a collaboration to get all our juices going?

Stranger things have happened.

Whatever the truth is Josh, that is one major fish. Way to go! Your exploits are kind of like a bunch of carrots being dangled in front of all of us lesser fishers. They serve to motivate and help keep our hopes up. Please keep doing what you do.

Bob
Old 07-17-2009, 07:16 PM   #51
jflyfysh
Junior

you wear those waders fishng on a kayak??
Old 07-17-2009, 09:15 PM   #52
JOHN K
Junior

Josh,

That is one bad A$$ fish. But I can't believe there was no mention of a boat side brawl with that monster. I know you know where to find 'em and how to catch 'em, but bringing that fish in the boat without any bruises is crazy. . . are you the fish whisperer?

Alabama
Old 07-18-2009, 06:41 AM   #53
erinoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Josh- Nice fish!!!

Haters(Bellcon and anyone else)- You dont even know the difference between a Pacific Halibut(Alaskan) and California Halibut(Local type).I can understand a little jealousy(I wish I caught it!)but chill out.As for photoshop comments,there was just nothing in the background close enough to get in the shot.
Don, (Bellcon) ain't no Hater, Josh actually co-authored it just to get a rise, well done.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:51 AM   #54
DESTROYER

Nice fish Josh! Your going to be trying to beat that one for the rest of your life. Congrats

Moyer
Old 07-18-2009, 09:02 PM   #55
blackcloud9
Kayaker

Nice FIFTY Josh! Congratulations.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:36 PM   #56
THE DARKHORSE

You should have seen it, John!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN K View Post
Josh,

That is one bad A$$ fish. But I can't believe there was no mention of a boat side brawl with that monster. I know you know where to find 'em and how to catch 'em, but bringing that fish in the boat without any bruises is crazy. . . are you the fish whisperer?

Alabama

Warning: Sorry about the nipple shot below, but my waders were full of water .

More than any other fish, I wish I had the moments from color to final thrashing on video. I know all fish look bigger doing those last few circles below the kayak, but this fish looked ridiculous at color. Imagine sinking a gaff into a cow sized Tuna, but no deckhand behind you following up with a second gaff. Everything was going smoothly, perfect gaff shot in the stomach bought me a few precious seconds to slide not one, but two game-clips through her gills. With the fish secured I put away the gaff and went for the Halibut bat...then all hell broke loose.

From experience I have my game-clips tethered on a short leash when fishing for Halibut. I used to have a 4' rope, but now I use no more than 1' for safety purposes. After having my sonar face knocked off deck like someone kicked a field goal, they really float! Another time a monster jumped across my deck and broke off my bait-tank outflow tube. I'll certainly never forget the pre-game clip days, wrestling a monster on deck and having my gaff go through the neoprene waders into my leg...dangerous fish when they're that size. Some stay calm, but others will sink your battle-ship!

This particular fish came close to sinking my battle-ship, real close. It took everything in me to keep that kayak right side up. I had a firm grasp on the game-clip rope and by the time she quit thrashing my waders were full of water in the chest area. I had a brand new custom wrapped Super Seeker jig-stick with four other rods and reels, none of them leashed. That beautiful new Super Seeker was probably what gave me the energy and focus to weather the storm. When she finally quit, I hit a couple home runs with that bat and let out a scream of joy!

A friend heard my screams of joy and came over to take some photos. I knew she was over forty, but I told Paul she looked short. Paul replied, "are you kidding me"? "She's long". Paul just got back from out of town and sent me one photo, I thought I'd share.

A little blurry, but it's not easy taking pictures with violently thrashing, battle-ship sinking, pissed off giant Halibut.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:07 AM   #57
the dude

Holy crap that thing is huge! ...uh the halibut that is...

Last edited by the dude; 07-20-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:37 AM   #58
Matt
Support your local pangas

PERVERT!!!! Any excuse to show a nipple you sick, sick man!! I will forgive the faux pas as that thing is a beast!! Thank god you don't wear white t shirts
Old 07-20-2009, 07:43 AM   #59
bellcon

Epic Fish Deserve An Epic Flame

Wow
Worked better than I had hoped...

You know those post...
Something like, Flame-Flame-Flame-...Just kidding / Congrats...
I just took it a weeeee-bit further

That Halibut blew me away...(still does)
So I wanted a post to blow away the haters...
Kind of cut em off at the pass
Some of you fiqured it out, most didn't...

But Josh does get more love than hate
And since I don't want to be the victim of a Darkhorse vigilante
(some scary defenders you have here Josh)
And to set the record straight
It was a joke, a ruse, a satire, a spoof, a SNL skit, a lampoon, something to show the jealous guy what an idiot he looks like at times

(I nailed the idiot part...,some say I am an natural)

Quote:
Eric got it half right:
Don, (Bellcon) ain't no Hater, Josh actually co-authored it just to get a rise, well done.
I ain't no hater...(life is to short)
but Josh did not! colaborate on my master piece
In fact I even got him for a second or two

So as much as I wanted to just let it ride...
I thought I better set the record straight (bummer)
All you crazy fishermen can now put down the pitchforks and torches
Me and Josh cool... really we are... tell em Josh

So there you go, loosen the grip those panties have on some of you
we now return you to the post about an Epic Fish:

"Thank God you don't have to die to catch the fish of a lifetime"
a great qoute from a friend of mine.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:51 AM   #60
Dan

bloody hell, that's the dogs bollocks! Time for a nosh and a few britney's
Closed Thread