Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 01-11-2019, 02:46 PM   #1
DanaYakAngler

BFT

Hot topic of the past week, local January BFT. Anyone going out of Dana this weekend to see if they can get lucky? Any reports of kayaks finding them or are they a bit out of reach? I am going out on sunday and will keep an eye out for birdschools and foamers.

DanaYakAngler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:28 AM   #2
DanaPT

i've been watching from the headlands using a spotting scope. Looking for boats, birds or porpoise. Unfortunately, found nothing interesting as far as my scope could see. local fish counts haven't reported BFT's either.

I did spot between 1-3 grey whales in about 60 ft of water heading south.

If it weren't for snotty weather, I'd fish, but I'm betting pretty murky and sloppy out there.

Good luck to you.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:19 PM   #3
DanaYakAngler

Oh well. Cool about the whales! Yea, it might be messy out there. Gotta scratch the itch.

Thanks for the info
Old 01-13-2019, 06:48 AM   #4
DanaPT

Water is as blue and clear as ever. Not a boat out in front of strands beach. I did notice a big dolphin pod working an area in 80 to 100 ft of water. Dolphins and birds working together. Good luck.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 05:55 PM   #5
DanaYakAngler

Well a buddy and I went out of Dana today. Launched late around 9 and picked up some dines. Got out of the harbor and was welcomed by a wall of water as the swells were gettin pretty big as the storm approaches. Trolled sardines and threw a yo yo for a bit as we worked west for a bit. With no signs of life we turned south toward the pipe and after a bit I meter some of the biggest fish I have seen on my ff. Buddy’s bait gets thrashed and as I am reeling in to check on my bait, a big flash of color on my bait. Doesn’t bite but instead turns away. We had heard that YT had been caught/seen right outside the harbor. Slow/rough day on the outside with no fish. However the sign of YT was exciting. We were a mile south of the harbor about a mile off the beach. We head in to fish the harbor and pull up three Hali between the two of us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0A271C92-83EA-4BE6-BFE2-333B60D8CD55.jpg (36.6 KB, 105 views)