Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2016, 08:57 AM   #1
Chadahooch760
Junior

Knots and rigs

My biggest failure in fishing is not knowing what rig setup to use for different type of fish or what knots to use on each rig. Thanks for the help!
Chadahooch760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:14 AM   #2
CKallday71

Personally, I try to keep it as simple as possible. I use Palomar knots almost exclusively on all my rigs. It's a pain on dropper loops but it can be done. I've always been a big fan of doing the most with the least. I would say that 90% of my yellowtail have been caught on Carolina rigs with just an egg sinker, a split ring, and a #2 bait hook. I typically use ringed hooks for two reasons. First, I think they give the bait better mobility for a more lively presentation and it's easier for my 45 year old already tiring eyes to knot the bloody things.

That's my input. There's a LOT more advanced people here though.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:27 AM   #3
FARRIER

Whatever your confident in and good at tying. Buy a bulk spool of line and get to practicing! I love the spangler knot. If its good enough for giant tuna its good enough for yt and wsb. I couldnt agree more with the anove poster keep it simple.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (55.1 KB, 372 views)
Old 03-27-2016, 09:42 AM   #4
Chadahooch760
Junior

Thanks for your input guys! When fishing yellow tail wsb and flatties what is the best rig to use? Thanks again!
Old 03-27-2016, 06:44 PM   #5
taggermike

There are so many knots but you really only need a few. One to tie on hooks and lures, one to form dropper loops, and if you're going to use braid and leaders, one to join those two. I use old school improved clinch, a surgeons loop, and an Albright.

There are a few others I use but those 3 are my main ones. Get a good tutorial and practice.

Halis live on the bottom so a dropper is a good call.

White sea bass and yt can be all over the water column so dropper, Carolina rig, or fly line depending on where they're fishing.

Summer fishing is my favorite time because often all you need is a hook and a lively bait. Mike.
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:32 AM   #6
fresh to salt

Standard Palomar knot for me all the way! Except on a dropper loop. I used to use the clinch knot and improved clinch knot but my first ever day kayak fishing I lost a good one in la jolla because my clinch knot failed me... From that day on I said never again! Palomar! It has landed me 35 lb yt with the iron, 30 lb dorado on flyline, and all of my schoolie yt, yf, and dodo in the last few years!
fresh to salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:19 PM   #7
Chadahooch760
Junior

Thanks to the info. Time to start practicing. Guess I should have a separate reel and rod for wsb and halibut with different size line...or just one rod/reel for both? I use to fish 4 poles at a time and have one for throwing plastics.

1 for bottom (dropper) with 4 oz weight
2.one with just a hook with a live sardine castes on the edge of the kelp(about 20 feet away
3. Sardine or cut squid on a Carolina rig with the hook about 1.5 feet from my swivel. but had about half way down the water column.

4 big hammer 6" swim sit with a 2 -3 oz lead head

Am I doing any thing wrong other than my knots?
Old 03-29-2016, 01:01 PM   #8
YOYOYaker
Junior

1.5' sounds kind of short for the Carolina rig leader. I'm pretty new to this too, so guys, please correct me if I'm wrong. I would tend to go at least 4 feet of leader from the swivel - probably closer to 6 feet. Halibut may be an exception to this though.
YOYOYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:43 PM   #9
batfish
Junior

I switch to a Uni Knot a couple years back and has not failed me yet. I use it for just about everything. For a Dropper loop I use a spider hitch knot.
batfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:37 PM   #10
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOYOYaker View Post
1.5' sounds kind of short for the Carolina rig leader. I'm pretty new to this too, so guys, please correct me if I'm wrong. I would tend to go at least 4 feet of leader from the swivel - probably closer to 6 feet. Halibut may be an exception to this though.

It would be challenging with a 6ft leader to gaff a big fish. The swivel would stop the leader from coming on to the rod and you would have to lift the rod way up in the air to get a gaff shot. 3-4 would be max on a carolina for me.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:57 PM   #11
Chadahooch760
Junior

Thanks for the advice
Old 03-29-2016, 08:03 PM   #12
T-Rex

John Collins/RP knot for braid to fluoro connection. Small and easy to tie.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:42 PM   #13
YOYOYaker
Junior

I, also thank you!
Old 03-29-2016, 11:56 PM   #14
YOYOYaker
Junior

Ditto on the RP knot

I just love the RP knot for that braid to leader connection also. It is very easy to get a very good looking, small, strong connection. I did not have to practice tying the RP near as much as other knots seem to require.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:40 PM   #15
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

San Diego Jam Knot!
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:43 PM   #16
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunaseeker View Post
San Diego Jam Knot!
This is an amazing knot. So easy to tie and crazy strong when it's tied right and cinched down.

I like to leave a tiny bit extra tag end because the first fish to take it will cinch it down just that little extra bit.

I also like to turn a bight around my finger first before making the wraps. That way the bight at the top is nice and open when you go to pass the tag end thru at the end.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:21 PM   #17
Chadahooch760
Junior

Well look like I will have another summer to practice knots since I have to wait to get my kayak. I was in an accident this morning and I have to pay out of pocket for the repair. Grrrrr. Or maaaaybe get the kayak then fix the car lol