Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2017, 10:13 PM   #1
Geno Machino
"Relax"

1/17/17 LJ report

Short report: No Fish No Bites...

Long Report: Arrived at launch later than usual (7:30a) to 1' waves, slight offshore breeze, and overcast sky's. Took me awhile to get setup since this was my first LJ trip in the yak since last Jan. '16. I got side tracked for most of last year chasing (and catching a few of) those bigger model BFT. Met an old timer from this site named John as I was about ready to launch. We talked for a few and then we hit the water.

I peddled out to about 110'-140' of water dragging my sibiki and metering for any signs of bait - Zero. A little while later John came cruising over to the same area and I asked if he made any bait from over by the pier, and he said he had. Being the kool cat that he seems to be, he offered me a live mac. I accepted and hoped he'd have some good karma coming his way very soon! We hung out and B.S'ed for a while for no luck. The current went slack so I peddled all the back over to the pier and made 8 baits fairly quickly.

Then as I was crossing the canyon on my way back to the outside, I notice some dolphins about 100 yards away. We have all seen them like that, so I made no mind of it and continued on. Then all of a sudden I had 3 or 4 of them right below me and just ahead of me like they where riding a boats bow wave. I slowed down considerably as I did not want them to come up under me and possible flip me. As I slowed, so did they. They where inches from my kayak playing with me. I have never experienced an encounter that close with these gracious and mystic creatures. A couple of them turned and swan up next to me, while others played in front of me (they seemed close enough to touch). What a cool experience!

I preceded to cruse back to the outside and made a few more drifts in the same area as I did before. The current and the wind had picked up for a nice drift. I believed I metered fish, a few different times. They were not interested in my live mac's, nor whole squid and I even dropped the iron on the marks a few times - for a no go. Guess it just wasn't my day to be a hero.

I peddled in to ankle slapper waves, packed up and off to the homestead I drove.

One last note, which was interesting to me. The sea lions where coming up with salami sized macs, slapping them around and feeding on them. It was like the only fish down there was macs for them to feed on. Hencly, they left my baits alone.

I figure - a no report - is better than a no report. Hope, it helps someone...

Good Luck and Tight Lines,

Geno
Old 01-19-2017, 01:32 AM   #2
Aaron&Julie

Thanks a lot for an excellent report, we appreciate it very much.

At least you had a nice dolphin show and it sounds like very nice weather to boot. Better luck next time.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:36 AM   #3
chris138
donkey roper

I was out there too yesterday morning... Those dolphins sniffed me out as well. It was like they charge right up to you on the surface, then they would just chill right under you. I got some video of it, I'll try to post it up tonight.

Also saw those marks. Had one sharky bite, but I also was skunked. Thanks for the report.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:55 AM   #4
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Maybe seaworld.....

Released the dolphins since the making of the movie black fish or fin.... : )
Old 01-19-2017, 05:24 PM   #5
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
I was out there too yesterday morning...
...Also saw those marks. Had one sharky bite, but I also was skunked. Thanks for the report.
That makes me feel slightly better, after reading your last post on catching a few yellows and that nice halibut in between storms. TOW cures most doubts. No I'm happy you got skunked, just helps verify my knowledge of having my meter dialed in. Thanks for that last post Chris on helpful tips when fishing deeper cold water yt.

Geno
Old 01-20-2017, 07:14 AM   #6
Phishphood

Glad to hear you finally hit the water again Geno. My last few trips I just head straight to the pier for bait before swinging toward the point.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Phishphood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:49 PM   #7
Roman
Administrator

Great report! Thank you Geno!
Roman is offline   Reply With Quote