Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which 3/4 Day SD Charter Boat for Weekend Yellowtail?
Malihini out of H&M 4 12.12%
Mission Belle out of Point Loma 3 9.09%
San Diego out of Seaforth 24 72.73%
Other 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2014, 07:05 PM   #21
janines.fishtales@cox.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
Actually looking to charter for a sunday. Already have apt 15 people seriously interested. Looking for about 10 more.

Lol! Only if it's a vaping trip! Seriously, what are you chartering? 3/4? When? I may be interested. BTW... I bought the KangerTech ProtankII with the juicy peach. Yummy

Janine
Old 04-05-2014, 07:25 PM   #22
FISH11

William Keep us posted on your plans for a charter. If it's out of San Diego I might be interested. Where did you find your new Avatar?
Old 04-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #23
Irishman

I'll second x10 the San Diego, went out February 22 for my birthday, weather was unreal and water looked super fishy, skipper was on the hunt for yellows and let everyone know, yellows first rockfish second. He burnt a huge amount of fuel looking which in my book tells you the kind of boat you are on. Only when he exhausted all options did he set us up on rockfish. Very well run boat with fish in mind
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:07 PM   #24
skrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwhisperer619 View Post
Not to sound like I'm bad mouthing the fisherman 3 but I'm yet to be on one of their trips and the boat be successful. The san diego works hard and the mahalini *typo* out of h&m does work too. You also get about 35-45 more mins fishing on a boat coming out of sd bay because its a closer trip
No worries. I can't tell you how many times I've been blanked on each of the 3/4 day boats including the San Diego. But I can say the same for the many epic trips I've had on those boats as well. In my experience all the SD based 3/4 day crews work hard. But they can't control the fish.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:09 PM   #25
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
San Diego - NO QUESTION!!! :y t:
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:29 PM   #26
shawny

hey everyone, thanks for the overwhelmingly unanimous responses!!!!!!! it's like you were all paid to give a +1 for the San Diego... in customer service of course!

my only remaining question is.. the rest of my party is still wondering why the Malihini caught more yellowtail this weekend than the San Diego. the Malihini caught a total of 26 yellowtail this weekend and the San Diego caught 4 (Saturday + Sunday).

I know that the San Diego has a great crew and customer service, but from a perspective of "I-just-wanna-catch-YT-dammit!!", is that reason enough to choose the Malihini over the San Diego? of course we're basing this primarily off of this wknd's fish counts..

haha.. sorry if I sound like I'm playing the devil's advocate here - our party is actually pretty much set on the San Diego, but some of us were just wondering if the this weekend's fish counts were a reflection of how the boat does every weekend.

Thanks again everybody for your responses!! great hearing from the experienced
shawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:45 PM   #27
buddha

There are no guarantees in life or fishing.

One thing that will be guaranteed though is service and hard work trying to get fish for you.

Every boat will have their day and out fish the others.

One day the fish are there the next day they are not to be found.

Be glad that you are healthy enough and able to fish.

Enjoy your friends company on the trip.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:50 PM   #28
momo fish

I'm a bit surprised as well about the counts this year. I follow them in past and let's just say it's very very odd the difference in count over prior years. I would still stay with San Diego as the captain is known for yellowtail as that is his speciality per say.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:51 PM   #29
shawny

Thumbs up Update

Update: My buddies and I ended up going on the San Diego this past weekend on the Saturday. It was a blast!

Quite a lot of people on the boat - 45 passengers. The boat caught 41 yellowtail, 5 lings, and 10 rockfish. Pretty much all the fish were caught on irons. Scrambled egg yoyos were hot hot hot!!

My buddies and I (8 people total) caught 7 yellowtail, 1 ling, and 2 reds. The biggest YT of the 7 we caught was a 39 incher (forklength) that was 22lbs. There were also 3 YT that were all the same size: all 37 inches (forklength) and all around 20lbs. Fun stuff!!

My buddy Sam caught 3 of the same-sized yellowtail.. all 37 inches and ~20lbs.

I caught the smallest yellowtail.. 29 inches and 9 lbs. still plenty fun!

We had 2 girls in our group of 8. Nicki (on the left) caught the biggest YT (the 22 lb'er) and Nancy (on the right) also caught a nice-sized YT. they got featured on Capt Ryan's Instagram!

Awesome deckhands + crew!

Baked yellowtail...mmm...

Prepping for Yellowtail sashimi

yum.........

Thanks again everybody for convincing us the San Diego was the way to go! We really enjoyed the boat, the captain, crew, the service,
and THE FISHING!!

Fish On,
Shawn

Old 04-14-2014, 02:04 PM   #30
Mahigeer

Nice fishing.

Thanks for the report.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:27 PM   #31
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

I always love seeing girls holding YT, it really helps motivate me to get out there and catch my first.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:15 PM   #32
shawny

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildernessWanker View Post
I always love seeing girls holding YT, it really helps motivate me to get out there and catch my first.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
Yes!! Oh, forgot to mention that Nicole caught that 22lb YT using a spinning rod setup!

You really get put in your place when you see a girl catching a bigger yellowtail than you, especially on a spinner.