Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-09-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
EricM
Junior

How do you guys stow your gear?

Hey Guys,

I finally got both a seat and a paddle for my kayak and have taken it on 2 bay trips so far. Everything went smoothly, but I purchased this yak with intentions to take it out into the deep blue of La Jolla to target some yellowtail, white sea bass, and calicos.

Only problem is storing gear on a kayak. How do you guys do it? Pre-made ones that you buy online? Build your own? Or do you just lay your tackle on your lap and hope that you don't hook yourself or lose any tackle?

I was thinking about going the DIY avenue and I don't have a standard Hobie, Malibu, or Cobra kayak so none of the pre-made boxes would fit my yak. I have a Perception Aquaterra and the spot behind the seat for holding gear is 10" W x 15" L.... Anybody have any pics of some of their own custom storage?

Thanks,

Eric
EricM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:30 PM   #2
prowlerdude

Do you have a picture?
prowlerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:54 PM   #3
beardedguy
gurmpy old one

Eric,
I can't seem to find a picture of your layal so I don't
know what your up againest. If you could post a picture
I'm sure lost of folks here could help you out.
beardedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:07 PM   #4
Matt
Support your local pangas

Pelican box stored inside of one of my hatches or in the back of my seat! What kind of yak is it? and is it possible for you to have hatches? If your not sure go talk to CJ, Brett or Brent at OEX Point Loma and I am sure any and all of them will be happy to help you out and give you some great ideas and suggestions!
Old 10-10-2008, 03:57 AM   #5
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Hey Eric,

I had a prism before. I fabricated a box out of acrylic from the
scrap box at Ridout plastic (Ruffin Rd.).

You can cut it with a table saw. The sell a solvent that bonds the
acrylic.

Plus they have polycarbonate if you prefer.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:56 PM   #6
EricM
Junior

I attached a picture of my Kayak below; its not quite a popular model and is a little outdated, but I got it for a steal!

I circled the area where I'm trying to figure out what to build/buy to hold rods, tackle boxes, and other gear.... it has a center hatch that is waterproof, but that can't fit any rods or tackle boxes, just smaller stuff so I was thinking of going the external route; something I could take off if needed and could just strap down during launches/landings...

Any more ideas? I might give the acrylic a shot; I've worked with it before and would be a professsional looking box and I could easily mount some PVC pipe on the side for rod holders......

Old 10-10-2008, 03:55 PM   #7
bluesquids

You should be able to find something.
Bungie or strap it down. Add rod holders.
http://www.containerstore.com/find/s...html?store=SDG
Old 10-10-2008, 07:59 PM   #8
Matt
Support your local pangas

I know both OEX and West Marine have medium to large size pelican waterproof boxes that would work great. You could also try a plano box, or a 5 gallon bucket with a gamma seal lid to mount rod holders on and have a waterproof place to store tackle or make it your bait tank!!!
Old 10-10-2008, 08:00 PM   #9
Billy V

A Thresher Tank should fit in that space nicely. The dimensions are 9 5/8 wide 10 1/2 tall 13 1/2 long. You can attach a 3 piece rod holder to the bait tank that also holds pliers, knife, and some tackle.

-On the launch out I store an 11"x 7.25"x 1.75" Plano StowAway Box full of Irons and hooks, pliers, and lipper inside of the empty bait tank.

The same goes for the return, I pull the drain plug and empty the water before the return and stow it all back in the Thresher Tank.

www.liquidfishing.com

Last edited by Billy V; 10-10-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:46 AM   #10
THE DARKHORSE

Looks like she floats.......

Interesting design, but she floats....and the rest is all about attitude. You can fish the same water as the rest of the fleet, and if you have skills you can take down giant Yellowtail all winter too.

I will second Billy on this one, as my first thought that came to mind with your photo was the Thresher tank (looks like a perfect fit). You don't need to rig anything with that tank (look for used/new). You have eye-holes to clamp down the tank already, screw in rod holders to the tank, and you're done. Three rod holders: one fly-line, one weighted line, one jig-stick. The Thresher tank has a battery compartment so it's perfect for a starter set-up with little storage like this.

For fishing La Jolla you don't need a tackle box: It's going to be cold real soon, so buy breathable waders ($100 )that have a chest pouch, and a dry top with velcro at wrists and neck(like a NRS under $50). Your chest pouch will carry a couple packs of hooks, and maybe a couple of small weights (that's it). You don't need to bring a bunch of irons, depending on the bite maybe three at most, think corrosion (use #40 Izorline and you will never lose irons except with a poor knot). Good luck!
Old 10-11-2008, 02:59 PM   #11
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Wow, the prism has changed a lot since the late '80s.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:01 AM   #12
jscott

No one mentioned this....but if you want to go cheap/easy-- use a milkcrate, and zip tie 4 2" diameter PVC tubes to the corners. You can put more if you want also. Just attach it to the kayak-- I use bungee cords to hold it in place. I also put some small pvc tube at 45 degree angle and have used this as a rod holder when the reel is in free spool with the clicker on. Good for when drifting sideways...I drift with one off the bow, and one off the stern....gives a good spread and less chance of tangling.
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:03 PM   #13
EricM
Junior

DARKHORSE: Thanks for the input. I'm a heavy cali-holic so I'm really looking forward to chasing calicos with plastics so that means tackle and variety to mix it up.

After some bass, hit up the yellowtail.... I might sit this winter out first and get a little more experience before I go out there, La Jolla can get pretty crazy sometimes, even in a boat!

jscott: Milkrate won't fit. Already tried that and a few other options that would be a nice cheap avenue...

I'm still going to look out for some simple DIY stuff right now since I'm low on cash, but if I get the cash, that Thresher Tank looks really awesome! Just wanted some input...

Thanks again for the tips guys!

Eric
Old 10-15-2008, 07:41 AM   #14
sbsyncro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM View Post
Hey Guys,

I finally got both a seat and a paddle for my kayak and have taken it on 2 bay trips so far.
Congratulations - I find they work much better (and more safely) with both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM View Post
Only problem is storing gear on a kayak. How do you guys do it? Pre-made ones that you buy online? Build your own? Or do you just lay your tackle on your lap and hope that you don't hook yourself or lose any tackle?
I have a couple of different kayaks and each is set up with whatever I was able to find. Some examples are:

12 x 12 milk crate with PVC tubes zip tied to the corners. I then use bungee cords (cut down to size) to attach to padeyes that I added to the rear tankwell area

"Fresh Step" kitty litter bucket from Costco - square pail with a handle that I bungee down with two shortened bungees. No rod holders, but it comes in handy for throwing my gear in there for surf launches and exits.

"CrateMate Jr." Probably too big for your tankwell, but one of my favorites, as I have found Flambeau boxes with the "ZeRust" dividers that fit perfectly inside of it. I clip a should strap to it and use it to lug all my tackle to and from the storage shed when I'm done fishing.

As to individual pieces of tackle, I keep everything organized in a "master" tackle box (that weighs about 40 lbs). Before any trip, I pull stuff from it that I am likely to use, knowing that I will have to rinse and dry anything I put back afterwards....

For quick trips, I found a small tackle bag at WalMart that fits the small sized Plano plastic boxes. The tackle bag is about 4" x 6" x 9" and has a shoulder strap. Before going fishing, I load up the Plano boxes inside with just what I think I will need in the way of spoons, irons, and swim baits, then I tuck a bottle of attractant into an outside pocket, zip my fishing license into the mesh top (inside its clear case), and throw it over my shoulder. Into my vest pockets go two spools of flouro leader (15# and 30#), some sabiki rigs, a pack of circle hooks and egg sinkers, and I'm ready to roll no matter what kayak I am on. Mind you this is for "single rod" fishing in a kelp bed for a couple hours, not an all day excursion where I am hunting for anything and everything with fins and an appetite for fishing bits....

-Brent
sbsyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:48 AM   #15
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

Looks like the old Dagger Cayman that was my first fishing kayak. We usually went through the surf, we used a mesh backpack with our gear in lashed behind the seat and the rods and reels lashed to the rails on either side of the seating compartment.
We used a milk crate setup at La Jolla, an idea we transferred from our longboards, but for going through the surf, we needed a little more security.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:03 PM   #16
EricM
Junior

Thanks again for the replies guys!

I've been playing around with different containers I found lately, some rubbermaids and other similair boxes and the problems with them was that when I mounted PVC tubes for rod holders and put rods in and then strapped it down, the box would warp alot...

Sounds like I need a heavier plastic!

Eric
Old 10-15-2008, 07:32 PM   #17
Billy V

EricM

Heres a Thresher Tank (For Sale) with a 3 piece rod holder at a good price.
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...0104#post30104
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:01 AM   #18
mc08066

Yak

Eric,
This is probably not a popular choice but I would probably sell her and buy a different yak that more condusive to a fishing layout before you start cutting her up. Your yak is a good option for hooping at night because it has alot of wide open spaces. Once you make a couple of trips to La Jolla you will start thinking about a better suited kayak for this area. You may want to consider taking a kayak surf class to avoid alot of lost gear. Sorry just my 2 cents.

Jimmy
mc08066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:30 PM   #19
EricM
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc08066 View Post
Eric,
This is probably not a popular choice but I would probably sell her and buy a different yak that more condusive to a fishing layout before you start cutting her up. Your yak is a good option for hooping at night because it has alot of wide open spaces. Once you make a couple of trips to La Jolla you will start thinking about a better suited kayak for this area. You may want to consider taking a kayak surf class to avoid alot of lost gear. Sorry just my 2 cents.

Jimmy
Hey Jimmy,

The thought has crossed my mind of selling this yak before, but I don't have any where near the money necessary to buy a new yak. I got this kayak for a steal; $100 which was perfect for my small wallet! I agree its layout is not well suited for fishing from, but it is very stable and wide so its comfortable and safe to fish from, besides just being cheap. If I got rid of it, I'd still be very far away from the full amount of what it takes to purchase a new yak...

I know there are better suited options out there, but none that are realistically available for me....

Also, I have launched kayaks out of La Jolla before. I got interested in kayak fishing after I myself was paddling rented yaks out and I saw the "fleet," out there catching fish. I am not worried about surf launches/ landings, just the changing conditions in La Jolla....

Thanks

Eric
Old 10-17-2008, 04:49 PM   #20
sbsyncro

Hey,

On my $100 kayak I just use a kitty litter bucket (square) and two bungee cords that I cut short to fit and hold the bucket down. Cost me $2 and works great.

Then for a rod holder I mounted a scotty on the front that I got for $14. Done deal.

If you want cheap and basic, this is the way to go. If I think of it, I will take some pics and post them.
sbsyncro is offline   Reply With Quote