Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2014, 07:54 PM   #1
socal_matt
Cruisin'

Out at Newps Again (4/6)

The Banana was ready for another Slay Fest. So I launched out of Newport again to get some mas tacos.

The conditions were pretty prime. Sunny, glassy, and not to mention there was little drift. The tides looked pretty good too.

I used whole squid on my bass setup. First drop yielded a good sized red. After that it was steady picking. Total count for today was 2 sandbass(both released); 1 Treefish; 8 reds (.5 to 1.5 lbs). I tried to release the Treefish since it was a little small, but he wasn't gonna make it so I kept him.

Here's a video I made. Hopefully it works. Youtube has been pretty screwy with me in the past. Just a disclaimer, the video wasn't published in HD, so thats why the quality isn't so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6VgHAhO1gM

All in all, it was a great day. On the water at 7 am and off the water at 9:30 am. Reason for being in so early was because I wanted to beat my boss to the mouth of the harbor(I'm a deckhand on The Patriot); I wanted to gloat in front of him, by showing him what I could do on my day off. Also met a fellow BWE'er out there on a red kayak, forgot his name. He was having some FF problems, I hope he had some luck out there too. Overall, it was good day to live in SoCal.

Here's the cooler shot of the day's keep.

Tight Lines Everyone. This upcoming week looks good in my opinion.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:26 PM   #2
eertkao
Steve-O.

Looks like it was an awesome day on the water! Thanks for the report!
Old 04-07-2014, 03:06 AM   #3
cell128
lizard king

Couldn't watch the video because YouTube blocked it for me saying it has music that has copyrights or something. Pics look great though. I'm new at this. Been out about 3 times no luck I only caught 1 calico and almost had a halibut bug he shook off when I was about to pull him into the kayak

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:59 AM   #4
FishNinjaY

Nice cooler! Is this a launch by the USCG station? I haven't been out there in almost a year. I usually launch across the water at Kid Beach or M St. Nice video! If YouTube gives you hassles about the music you like to use, I've heard that Vimeo does not. Or you can try to find royalty-free music online.

>< ))>
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by FishNinjaY; 04-07-2014 at 07:36 AM.
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
FISH11

Great video, nothing like being on the water in your Kayak with great weather and catching dinner. I really liked the music too, great choice. Mark
Old 04-07-2014, 03:43 PM   #6
socal_matt
Cruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNinjaY View Post
Is this a launch by the USCG station? I haven't been out there in almost a year.[/URL]
Where I launch is a small public beach on the same side of the Coast Guard launch, but closer to the harbor mouth. Its off of Cove Street and Fernleaf.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:43 PM   #7
blitzburgh

Strong work Matt!
Old 04-07-2014, 04:17 PM   #8
NEEFFF

The Banana Strikes again!!! WTG out there Matt!!
Old 04-07-2014, 05:46 PM   #9
Dark_Knight_9C1

I was the guy in the red kayak with a broken FF at home. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
I caught 4 small reds and 2 sanddabs. It was a good first try out on the rocks. I went back around 11 since the current was getting too strong.
The two guys south of us in the electric kayaks did pretty well also. The biggest one I saw them pull out was about 18 inches.
Dark_Knight_9C1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #10
cell128
lizard king

What rig are you guys using? I hab bad luck. I been using 3" weedless swimbaits bright colored all I get is tailbites I cant hook the fish. I bought some gulp shrimps today..gonna try them out on friday. Any other places near long beach to fish at? I only go to alamitos bay and Newport harbor. Im in Lakewood so I rather stay closer like alamitos I hate morning traffic. Also any input on this fish finder for the kayak? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004FKP1XM/..._Wx3qtb14K17XM

Old 04-07-2014, 09:49 PM   #11
octico

I was out there last weekend ... same spot. Water conditions were not even close to yours, it was a bit choppy. Great video! I cant wait to get out soon.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:54 PM   #12
JeffB

!!!
Old 04-08-2014, 07:44 AM   #13
socal_matt
Cruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell128 View Post
What rig are you guys using? I hab bad luck. I been using 3" weedless swimbaits bright colored all I get is tailbites I cant hook the fish. I bought some gulp shrimps today..gonna try them out on friday. Any other places near long beach to fish at? I only go to alamitos bay and Newport harbor. Im in Lakewood so I rather stay closer like alamitos I hate morning traffic. Also any input on this fish finder for the kayak? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004FKP1XM/..._Wx3qtb14K17XM

The rig I use is the simplest rig there is. Just a double dropper loop with two 6/0 hooks with whole squid and 6oz weight. But I think you're talking more about bass fishing than what I'm doing which is deep water fishing, I'm fishing in 170-210 ft of water. That FF on amazon you're looking at is the same exact one I have, it works pretty well for my needs.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:05 AM   #14
cell128
lizard king

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal_matt View Post
The rig I use is the simplest rig there is. Just a double dropper loop with two 6/0 hooks with whole squid and 6oz weight. But I think you're talking more about bass fishing than what I'm doing which is deep water fishing, I'm fishing in 170-210 ft of water. That FF on amazon you're looking at is the same exact one I have, it works pretty well for my needs.
Thanks alot ima put in the order for it

Old 04-08-2014, 08:07 AM   #15
cell128
lizard king

U go out towards the ocean for that deep water? Im new I really don't wanna venture out too far on my own. I just ordered the ff should get it tomorrow. Off on Thursday hopefully I can get it working tomorrow night

Old 04-08-2014, 08:09 AM   #16
jettytaco

Hey CELL... I'm going out there this Saturday to give it a try man. Let me know if you want to join. Launching at kid's beach.

Lamson
jettytaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:10 AM   #17
cell128
lizard king

I can't I gotta work days all weekend I'm only off Thursday

Old 04-08-2014, 11:24 AM   #18
FishNinjaY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettytaco View Post
Hey CELL... I'm going out there this Saturday to give it a try man. Let me know if you want to join. Launching at kid's beach.

Lamson
I'm launching early on Sunday.. for a little birthday morning taco hunt !
I'll probably be launching from the USCGS area around 6am.. I'd like to
be on the water by 630am. Hope to see y'all out there.
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:21 PM   #19
jettytaco

damn... I'll try to go both days but Saturday will be for sure. Come out Saturday Ninja!
jettytaco is offline   Reply With Quote