Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2008, 06:56 PM   #1
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Fishing with the MC Slug

I need some instruction on how to fish with the the MC Slug. I bought one and tried it the other day. I cast into the kelp. Let it drift on the edges and trolled. Nothing produced results.

If someone has experience fishing with this bait, I would really appreciate a few tips.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:09 AM   #2
steamroll

The 8" Slug can be great in the kelp when the calicos are pushing bait up into the canopy. Work the alleyways, cast out, let it chill, reel in a few cranks, let it chill, reel in a few cranks. If you aren't getting bit, the fish don't want it today. Switch to a weedless jig or swimbait.

You can also move in tight and fish in 5-10 feet of water, working the slug near and around scattered stringers of kelp. Or even closer and work the boilers. By far, you will get the most bites in the boilers, but you need to be careful and not get caught on the inside of a big set.

Keep trying it, but be prepared to switch it up when its not working for you.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:26 AM   #3
Zed
BANNED

NO I am not sponsored by MC! Just a user so don't get yer chones in a bunch!

I think it has its place, but you'll find it hard to make it work a lot of the time. Or I do.

When the bass are up in the kelp canopy--sometimes you see them lookin back at you and sometimes they're boiling in the kelp-- the weedless carolina presentation can kill'em. It's exciting to see bass going thru the canopy to get the slug slapped on the top. In this case just about anything will probably work because "it's on".

Personally I like fishing them on a jig-head best. From Corey himself, he recommends choosing a size lighter jighead than you would use on a comparable plastic. Bouncing/darting the slug around boilers works well. A deadstick big slug on a 3/4-1oz head seems to entice hali's and the sadbass pretty well. Also bouncing a slug down a shelf/wall has picked off sheep.

Just like any lure you buy. You bought it, now go make it work! It's not a hood ornament.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:20 AM   #4
PescadorPete

I've used one recently for the first time it worked. I added a slider sinker (1/2 oz or so) to the line since I felt I needed some weight to get down through the thick kelp canopy. A SHORT upward jerk worked the best. I didn't get bit on the sink. I assume you know how to rig it with the spring and offset hook. I was using the 8" ones.
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:15 AM   #5
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Rigging the Slug

I had the guy at Bluewater show me how to rig the slug. He cut a slice in one side which was supposed to make the thing weedless. I think he put the hook in backwards however. I switched things around so the tip of the hook is now hidden in the slot that was cut and it seems to work better. I guess I will know for sure if a fish ever takes a bite.

Thanks for the sinker suggestion I will give it a try tomorrow. This bait does not sink very well on its own.

BTW, unless the surf is too large, I plan to fish the Cardiff kelp tomorrow, (Thursday), morning. It would be great to have a fishing partner, especially someone who knows how to do this stuff better than I.

The backup plan if the surf is up is to go to LJ.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote