Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2008, 09:41 AM   #1
Billy V

What's the Hot ticket on these New Slim PFD's

I have an Osprey PFD but it feels bulky at times.

Anyone using one of those new slim, auto/manual inflator models that can make a recommendation on its performance.

Are they as buoyant as the traditional units? or mainly for show.

I haven't taken a look at them yet, and wonder if it accidentally caught a hook without me knowing......What would happen if I needed to really use it.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:38 AM   #2
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Billy,

I read on this forum of a guy (no names mentioned) that rolled
his yak coming into LJ shores. His vest auto inflated, and
he had to buy another cylinder which he claimed was pricey.

That's all I've heard on the subject.

Marco
Old 07-01-2008, 12:32 PM   #3
TheSherThang

I would think that for a boat it would be okay but in a kayak, you're getting waves over the bow which might set off the inflator. I'd stick with a non inflator as you also have to continuously check if it works by inflating it once in awhile. Good ole foam works for me.
TheSherThang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:48 AM   #4
PAL

Or get a manually inflating model. Wearing one is better than going without, despite the fact that foam floats whether you are concious or not. Here's the rub - the foam vests many of us wear won't keep an unconcious person's head out of the water anyway.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:20 AM   #5
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post
Or get a manually inflating model. Wearing one is better than going without, despite the fact that foam floats whether you are concious or not. Here's the rub - the foam vests many of us wear won't keep an unconcious person's head out of the water anyway.
To get that type of PFD you need a type I or a type II, which make kayaking and fishing VERY hard. We yakers use type III.
  • Type I - offshore life jacket
    • The model best-suited to open and rough waters, a type I PFD provides more buoyancy than any other type. The design of a type I PFD allows it to turn most unconscious wearers into a face-up position with their head out of the water. This type requires a minimum adult buoyancy of 22 pounds, and because of its bulk it is generally not comfortable to wear when not on the water. These PFDs are only used in an emergency. They are typically jacket-shaped but sleeveless, and usually have multiple ties and belts for closure.
  • Type II - near shore buoyancy vest
    • Familiar to anyone who has rented a canoe or other pleasure craft, these are the bright orange vests also seen on water taxis and the like. They are a reduced version of the type I PFD, and provide a minimum 15.5 pound buoyancy. They will usually turn the face of an unconscious person out of the water, but are not as dependable as type I PFDs for this task. Type II PFDs are used near shore where a quick rescue is likely. They usually have one belt and one tie.
  • Type III - flotation aid
    • Most popular with canoeists, small-boat sailboat racers and kayakers, a type III PFD is best for conscious wearers who can keep their own faces out of the water. The minimum buoyancy is 15.5 pounds, but some designs have higher buoyancy (frequently 17 pounds). Type III PFDs are usually jacket-style and may have pockets, lashing hooks, tow belts, and other functions that enhance their application. They typically fit the wearer closely, and many zip or have buckles to close.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:54 PM   #6
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

A wakeup call

I have been a waterman, (person) all my life, starting with years of competitive swimming and in my youth as a San Diego beach lifeguard for many more years. For as long as I can remember I have been in or on the water, diving, sailing, swimming or surfing. In my youth, I never considered that wearing a PFD something that I should consider doing.

Fast forward a few decades and now I am on the water again, this time sitting a little piece plastic, often miles offshore. The first time I went out in my kayak, I forgot the PFD. A mile or so off LJ, I realized that if I went overboard and could not get back on my yak, I might have to swim to shore. It made me very uncomfortable.

I used to swim a mile or two every day as warmup before swim practice. These days, I might still be able to swim that distance but there is a very good chance that I might not have the strength. Add to that that I would probably be in cold water, wearing clothes and probably in some stage of shock, the prospect becomes iffy.

After that one lapse, I never go out on my kayak without a PFD. Some people follow the letter of the law and simply have a PFD on board. Not me. I wear mine the entire time. Yes it is a bit uncomfortable but you get used to it.

As a final point, I would like to remind everyone who reads this that even the best of us often perform less than perfect landings in the surf. When it happens to me, I gain a little comfort knowing that if my 60 pound kayak lands on my head and knocks me for a loop, I will at least float into shore rather than sink to the bottom. It could mean the difference between life and death.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:45 PM   #7
sdcityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
It could mean the difference between life and death.

Bob
BOB I hate wearing a pfd, but you wont catch me not wearing one! and in my car i have my seatbelt on.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:16 AM   #8
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Right on Bob.

After seeing all the folks getting dunked off the swim step
on my last mother ship trip, I am even more convinced about
wearing the PFD all the time.

Not wearing a PFD is like the guy that carries his motorcycle helmet on his back fender.
Not much help when you biff, if you are not wearing it.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:51 AM   #9
Billy V

No matter how bulky it feels on the yak, I wear it.
Too much can go wrong too fast without one.

Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:46 AM   #10
TheSherThang

It's basically insurance. You hope you never need it but damn, are you happy when you do need it and have it!
TheSherThang is offline   Reply With Quote