Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

lets talk hoops!

so rigging for these bugs has me running in circles. i put 50ft of rope on them, tie on a big Tide bottle, add shiny tape and a glow stick. works great in the bays to about 40ft. then i find a nice pile in 60ft... so now i rig up one with 100ft for the next outing BUT... my next outing will be in the harbor targeting 15-30ft... what do i do with all that extra rope? just let it hang off? i tried tying it in a loop but it gets prety messy.

also, attaching bait cages. you guys zip tie them in full time? or use D rings to clip them in after baiting?

how are you transporting your nets, bouyes, cages etc? pre rigged or seperate then clip it all together before the drop?
Old 10-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
Deamon

Home Depot sells extention cord holders for a couple of bucks. Plastic and sturdy enough. Works great!

D-Rings

PVC frame underneath traps for a larger/lite platform on my Revolution...not tied down. One on top of the other unattached

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32197h.jpg (14.8 KB, 375 views)
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
ctfphoto

I have a long roped so I tie most of it up securely at home.

I use carabineers to attach bait cages.

I pre attach the first round of bait cages in the hoops pre launch so all I need to do is drop the hoop.

My cone nets stack fine on my yak and I attach with bungees.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
firstgen
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
so rigging for these bugs has me running in circles. i put 50ft of rope on them, tie on a big Tide bottle, add shiny tape and a glow stick. works great in the bays to about 40ft. then i find a nice pile in 60ft... so now i rig up one with 100ft for the next outing BUT... my next outing will be in the harbor targeting 15-30ft... what do i do with all that extra rope? just let it hang off? i tried tying it in a loop but it gets prety messy.

also, attaching bait cages. you guys zip tie them in full time? or use D rings to clip them in after baiting?

how are you transporting your nets, bouyes, cages etc? pre rigged or seperate then clip it all together before the drop?
Promar is going around to different tackle shops and doing their hooping seminars.I would recommend you hit'em up to see if theirs any seminars in your area.Their you will learn everything there is to know about hooping.Hope this help.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post

50ft of rope in my opinion is good for working areas that are no deeper than 35-40ft. You should use the commercial style bouys that they sell at the tackle shops. It's a good investment considering how much all your gear costs. If your tide bottle develops a leak, or gets run over bye, bye gear!

I just switched over to some new rope this season and so far it's working out great. Gotta use low memory rope, otherwise you'll be dealing with tangles instead of hooping. Try this stuff it seems to work better than the poly hollow stuff.

Home depot reflective rope.

As far as what you should do about your excess line, just add weight to the end of your line and let it sink. So you will have 60ft of rope on one side and 40ft on the other. If the tide rises or falls it's self adjusting.

Securing bait cages, use the promar bait cage clips. It speeds up baiting up and breaking down. Plus you save on extra zip-ties. Only way to go in my opinion!

I transport my hoops on my yak fully rigged and ready to fish, bait cage attached.
I just stack em' up behind me, and fire 'em out there when it's time.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
Drake

These work great keeping everything organized

Old 10-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
ful-rac
Emperor

Yeah those cable clamps are good too, I have a bunch of those myself...
Old 10-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Yeah those cable clamps are good too, I have a bunch of those myself...
I also use them to attach my bait cages to my hoops. They don't have any problems with saltwater and they're cheap.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
Fiskadoro

Threads like these make me feel like an old timer.

I've been using the exact same rope float setup I first used over a decade ago. Haven't lost a single hoop since I started using it.

I have 50ft, 75ft, and 100ft rope sets which I change out loop to loop depending where I'm hooping, and I can make small depth adjustments with the longline clip. The advantage of the weighted clip is the excess rope stays 5ft down under the prop zone.

Here's my torpedo float light setup.

It's just an egg float, some thin wall PVC, 2 part urethane foam, reflective tape, and a clear container on the end with a strobe in it.

I used to do flat nets but I now run my own smaller diameter cone nets I designed and built myself for hooping from my hoop kayak a FND.

Those nets meet the regs. The opening is the size of a Danielson, but the are as tall as the taller Promars. With a smaller diameter base they are just as effective as the standard cones but easier to pull.

Here's how I carry them folded down.

As you can see I use minimal electronics for hooping. That's my original old school Garmin 45, and Garmin 120 finder that I've had since I started kayaking. They've lasted me over a decade of hooping and I don't need anything fancier.

The boom makes it easier to pull, so I can stay out longer.

I store my bugs in a box I built behind the seat.

Works for me. Like I said I have not really changed this setup at all since I first started using it.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #10
skrilla

^ Nice Jim. Diggin that purpose built kayak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstgen View Post
Promar is going around to different tackle shops and doing their hooping seminars.I would recommend you hit'em up to see if theirs any seminars in your area.Their you will learn everything there is to know about hooping.Hope this help.
I was at the last seminar at Turner's. Great tips and tricks by Jim aka Saba Slayer. Was a refresher for me and learned a few new things. But alas I don't see any more scheduled in the future. ful-rac did post up some good tips that were mentioned in the seminar.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #11
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrilla View Post
^ Nice Jim. Diggin that purpose built kayak.
Thanks!! It's slow but does the job. Those are old photos. Doing some work on her tonight, not as shiney as she used to be, but still good...

If it wasn't for hooping I would of probably sold it, but you can't get a better platform for hoop netting then a FND with it's high initial stability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrilla View Post
I was at the last seminar at Turner's. Great tips and tricks by Jim aka Saba Slayer.
Jim's an old friend, I can't even remember the last time we hooped together, extremely knowledgeable when it comes to bugs, from shallow to deep your not going to find anyone who knows hoopnetting better then Jim.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #12
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
Home Depot sells extention cord holders for a couple of bucks. Plastic and sturdy enough. Works great!
Jim
x2
Old 10-03-2012, 10:22 PM   #13
Jfish36

99 cent store have small zip tie in bag of 50 or 100 works great for bait cage
Jfish36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #14
Badtaste2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
These work great keeping everything organized
Those look good. Where did you find them and what are they called?

Thanks

Dan
Badtaste2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:33 AM   #15
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badtaste2k View Post
Those look good. Where did you find them and what are they called?

Thanks

Dan

They are called Cable Cuffs, you can get them at home depot
Old 10-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #16
Bigneedle
Junior

where did you get the supply to make the torpedo float?? thx
Bigneedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #17
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigneedle View Post
where did you get the supply to make the torpedo float?? thx
Quote:
It's just an egg float, some thin wall PVC, 2 part urethane foam, reflective tape, and a clear container on the end with a strobe in it.
looks like, home depot for the pvc and foam, tackel shop for the float/tape, 99 cents store for the tuperware and then find a light/strobe

this has all been pretty helpfull. see, we dont need reports to help people catch stuff.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #18
Baja_Traveler

Looks like there is going to be a whole bunch of road work signs missing some strobe lights.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #19
MrM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
Looks like there is going to be a whole bunch of road work signs missing some strobe lights.
Don't do it. I wont go into great detail, but the only reason I have a clean record is because I was 17.

1 broken nose (mine), 1 helicopter, 13 cop cars, 13 drawn guns. All because of those damn blinky signs. Somewhere in the ballpark of 30, to narrow it down.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #20
jorluivil

I follow the K.I.S.S method when I hoop

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote