Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2014, 08:50 AM   #1
taggermike

5-20, Sounds like you got dogged. We've been training our local sea lion population for decades and those things a pros now. I think they were targeting the kayakers over the private boaters because the yakkers had mackerel and the boaters, most likely, had anchovies. More bang for the buck so to speak. Some people have trouble with the big sports boats or resent them coming in so close but I love to see them in La Jolla. They pull the dogs to them with the free chum buffet they throw. I just stay away from the sporties and, usually, have little trouble with dogs.

It's tough to spend the time and cash, and work so hard then see a dog make off with a trophy fish. I still hate when it happens but the following thought/attitude help me, some times any way. Sea lions, all animals really, go to work every day. They work for food, every day, no days off, no vacations, , no retirement, no insurance, no help from any other creature. If they get sick, injured, week, or old they die. For them the financial equation looks like this; (Calories gained-calories used=energy for growth and reproduction). If they get a negative number on the right of the equal sign for any length of time they will die. So they will use as little energy as possible to get the greatest gain. And what's cheaper than free? Dogs are big, strong, fast, tough, damn well adapted, but they're also smart. We go to work, maybe a long drive, long hours, frustration, bills to pay, you all know what I'm talking about. But what if every day a big truck rolled down your street with money falling out the back? Don't know about you, but I think I'd follow right along scooping up the cash. Same with the dogs.

Long post, hope it was worth reading and maybe helpful. It still sucks to get dogged, but hey, Business is Business so don't take it personally.
Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote