Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
danjor

Davys Locker 3/4 Day Trips On LivingSocial

Just saw this and thought id share, pretty good deal if your like me and like to go out every once in a while a take a boat ride instead of paddle, nice to change it up every once in a while.
$40 for 3/4 day and it includes lunch, $35 w/o lunch, expires tonight.

Changed my mind on ordering due to comments on this post....

Last edited by danjor; 03-10-2013 at 06:26 PM.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
MrM

I saw that a couple days ago. I didn't go for it because it says it includes bait, then in the fine print it says no bait. Sounded fishy. No pun intended.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
danjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM View Post
I saw that a couple days ago. I didn't go for it because it says it includes bait, then in the fine print it says no bait. Sounded fishy. No pun intended.
I'm assuming they put that there to cover there butt in case of like a squid trip where they use lures or something odd like that since its listed with licesnses rods ect. Well at least I hope so lol still a good deal even if I have to use big hammers
Old 03-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
MotoHero

WARNING Do Your Homework!

This landing has very bad ratings on Yelp reference the groupons, Living Social, Etc. Last year many "Bloodydecks" comments were negative on the whole coupon issue at Davey's. Comments varied from too full to honor coupons, coupons wait till paying customers have run out, not enough paying fares can't go, skipper/boat change and won't accept coupon and so on. Flat didn't seem like they wanted to honor the coupons they issued.

My personal iffy experience didn't cost me a dime, I just called to inquire about their ad of "Kids fish free" and it was a total runaround ending with "Uh, that guys not here right now".

Just
Saying,

Dwayne
MotoHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #5
danjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoHero View Post
This landing has very bad ratings on Yelp reference the groupons, Living Social, Etc. Last year many "Bloodydecks" comments were negative on the whole coupon issue at Davey's. Comments varied from too full to honor coupons, coupons wait till paying customers have run out, not enough paying fares can't go, skipper/boat change and won't accept coupon and so on. Flat didn't seem like they wanted to honor the coupons they issued.

My personal iffy experience didn't cost me a dime, I just called to inquire about their ad of "Kids fish free" and it was a total runaround ending with "Uh, that guys not here right now".

Just
Saying,

Dwayne

I didn't know there were problems, I have not fished out of this landing in 5 years due to kayak fishing now, I just requested a refund based on your guys response's. Guess I'll just stick to the yak not worth the hassel if what your saying is true.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
oneyedeer

One of the worst landing you can go to. Funny thing is with these deals it's perfect for beginners but the deckhands are low class brats. I went on one trip and they were yelling at a customer and calling him names. The guy was a total newbie. You would think going on this half day or 3/4 day trips would be a good place to get your feet wet. I felt sorry for the guy. It actually made me wonder what the consequences of throwing one of the deckhands overboard. I probably should have spoken to the captain but decided I will just take my money else where in the future. The experience just makes me appreciate kayaking more.
oneyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
Raskal311

Not worth it even for free!
Raskal311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #8
PE.rider

I've had mixed results fishing with this outfit.

Success really It depends on the crew you get. I've had excellent full-service trips in the past where the crew are helpful, make a mean burger, and really ear their keep.

Unfortunately, my last venture with them was a disappointment, as they kept throwing back the fish that people were catching without measuring.

The young guys were more interested in trying to win the jackpot prize at the expense of the customers. They kept throwing back several 14-16 inch calicos that clients were catching.

At the end of the trip, supposedly only 6 "legals" were caught, while they counted 57 fish on their daily catch tabulations. Also, the skipper occasionally cuts the trips shorts and decides to just drift fish off the Huntington flats...

It's more productive just taking your yak out of dana or newport harbor... All you need is a visit to the Bait barge for a scoop and your're set.
PE.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:13 AM   #9
madncrzydm

I went on a trip out of there. I received free tickets from my father in law so me and a buddy made reservations showed up 45 minutes early went to go check in and the boat had left an hour early due to captain changes. And there was 20 of us that they had just left. And I drove to newport from oceanside. Was determined to use the free ticket and booked another reservation this time for me my buddy amd my wife. Made it on the boat this time and one of the deckhands was constantly hitting on my wife and trying to "show" her how to hold her pole correctly. I had my right hand in a bandage because I had just had surgery and he attempted to poke fun and asked me if I got my ass beat in a fight. I informed him that I was injured in Afghanistan and that if he had any more stupid questions he could ask me in the parking lot after the trip. He finally shut his mouth and didn't talk to us for the rest of the trip An overall terrible experience and will never go back to either.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:05 AM   #10
Raskal311

Its a decent boat if it wasn't for the groupon type deals. They pack the boats to the rim and people would be fishing two-three deep during these special; I hear 80 easy. And on days it isn't jamp packed they would try to charge you a fuel charge. On top of that they don’t count the groupon customers when deciding if they have enough people to even go out. I've tried going on off days to try to miss the crowd using their specials and it’s a waist of time. I perfer the boats going out of long beach.
Raskal311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #11
FishNinjaY

eh.. I think these boats are hit-or-miss..

I did a half-day Davey's Locker on the Western Pride with my son, and frankly.. had a good day. I think it's luck of the draw.

Here's a short video of my trip:

My main issue with them, after-the-fact.. is that even if you save a few bucks on the *Special*... you have to pay a lot for parking. I've heard recently.. that the Native Sun out of Long Beach is a better experience, especially for kids, newbies (like me), etc.. and FREE PARKING. Plus, it's really close to me.

Happy fishing...
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote