Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2016, 11:22 PM   #1
FleshandBlood

La Jolla Calicos this Sunday

I am finally heading down to the Jewel on Sunday. Plan is to launch early and target Calicos. Being that I have never been there before kind of curious what direction I should head to start looking for calicos (basically, point me into the the direction saturated with the most kelp.) I have the MLPA boundaries plugged into my finder, so no worry about me ending up in the wrong place but curious as to how far I should paddle before I started working baits. Never been there so I don't know much about the kelp there. Is it sub surface or on the top? Or if bass are being caught on deeper rock piles. I know a lot of guys go the La Jolla to target Yellowtail but I am a bass guy, any input is appreciated. Hope to see some of you guys out there.
FleshandBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:13 AM   #2
NICKWORN

Big COndo on point

Thats all I can really say brother, is head straight towards the point and you will see plenty of boats and cattle boats there fishing the kelps. As far as what to use, bring an arsenal, you never know what they want.

NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:56 PM   #3
skrilla

Stick to 40-70ft depth from LJ reserve all the way to South LJ MLPA. If high tide you can get in tight and fish the rocky shoreline but beware of freak waves.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:52 PM   #4
east county dirtbag

I caught a bunch of calicos today. It seemed like that was the only kind of fish biting. I caught 2 while troling for yt with a rapala magnum xrap mackeral color. 2 troling a mackeral color krocodile and caught 5 while drifting throwing a green clear plastic swimbait on a 1/1/2 oz jighead. All were just short of legal. I was in 45-65 fet of water between the condo and the mpa border. The wind and chop were up making casting and positioning somewhat of a struggle. I hooked into something large at one point that may have been a yt but after the initial run the hookset was lost and my line went slack. Lots of pbs, cattle boats and yakkers out today but most were concentrated in the nw corner. I did not see any bendos while near the floatilla
east county dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:57 AM   #5
east county dirtbag

One more thing. The sea watch out of seaforth was posted up about 100 yards west of boomers beach and i paddled by them on my way in. There were like 10 furbags circling around grabbing everyones chovies and 2 people were hooked up to birds. Why do those dumbass charter captains take their boats in there?
Old 08-01-2016, 09:47 AM   #6
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by east county dirtbag View Post
Why do those dumbass charter captains take their boats in there?
Because people pay them to...
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:29 AM   #7
Croaker Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by east county dirtbag View Post
One more thing. The sea watch out of seaforth was posted up about 100 yards west of boomers beach and i paddled by them on my way in. There were like 10 furbags circling around grabbing everyones chovies and 2 people were hooked up to birds. Why do those dumbass charter captains take their boats in there?

I give them thanks for distracting the dogs so a few macs lasted me all morning
Croaker Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:51 PM   #8
east county dirtbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
Because people pay them to...
I get that people pay them but that particular spot is not good with the seals and birds... and dismal action.There's a whole ocean there. You could almost cast there from the beach
Old 08-02-2016, 07:46 AM   #9
taggermike

I was out Sunday n did pretty well on the calicos. Preface this by saying I very rarely fish calicos, am not too skilled at it, and won't work hard at catching them.
After seeing the big counts on the calis I decided to bring a bait caster n a bag of plastics. I caught a yt on the out side and on the way in headed for the children's pool. (actually off boomers) I don't have a meter but if guess I was in 40' of water.saw some birds and a couple Cali boils. Started casting a 1/2 jig heads and a brown swim bait. Got bit about every cast. Landed maybe a dozen n headed in. I was ran thru the plastics cause the bass were so aggressive they were eating the swim baits out of the hooked fish's mouth. On 4 consecutive casts I landed bass with just the jig head in thier mouths. I'm not s light line guy in LJ cause I've hooked big yt while fishing for calis n small bonito n hot myass handed to me. I was using a 30 lb mono leader over 65 lb braid. Fish bit it fine.

So what it's worth, paddle toward the point until you get outside the reserve. Turn south and work between 20-40'. Like usual keep an eye out for birds. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:49 PM   #10
iethinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
I was out Sunday n did pretty well on the calicos. Preface this by saying I very rarely fish calicos, am not too skilled at it, and won't work hard at catching them.
After seeing the big counts on the calis I decided to bring a bait caster n a bag of plastics. I caught a yt on the out side and on the way in headed for the children's pool. (actually off boomers) I don't have a meter but if guess I was in 40' of water.saw some birds and a couple Cali boils. Started casting a 1/2 jig heads and a brown swim bait. Got bit about every cast. Landed maybe a dozen n headed in. I was ran thru the plastics cause the bass were so aggressive they were eating the swim baits out of the hooked fish's mouth. On 4 consecutive casts I landed bass with just the jig head in thier mouths. I'm not s light line guy in LJ cause I've hooked big yt while fishing for calis n small bonito n hot myass handed to me. I was using a 30 lb mono leader over 65 lb braid. Fish bit it fine.

So what it's worth, paddle toward the point until you get outside the reserve. Turn south and work between 20-40'. Like usual keep an eye out for birds. Mike

Mike...You have to go for the Cali bite every now and then just for that fun day of high catch counts. Now seems to be the time. Bonus if you get the YT too. Good job!
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:53 PM   #11
pingpangdang

Did the same a few days ago...like messing around with new lures every now and then...didn't want to make bait either. Got a few legals and double digit shorts....may they grow fatter. Few cudas as well. All on 5"fish arrow flash js.

Another release

No bites on the duo tide vib slim

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Last edited by pingpangdang; 08-02-2016 at 07:31 PM.
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:12 AM   #12
taggermike

Iethinker, I agree with you about the Cali bite. Ya gotta get in on it now n then. They're great sports fish and beautiful for sure. It's also fun to have the rod in your hand making casts, getting bit, n swingin. As opposed to trolling miles with the rod in the holder waiting for the clicker to scream. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote