Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 05-09-2012, 05:35 AM   #1
JeffB

A Little Night Fishin' in SD Bay

Well I got a wild hair up my butt yesterday to do a little night fishing. I had college all day, so I wanted to get out on the water afterwards and take advantage of my wife having the night off. As soon as I finished up with my last class around 6ish, I head over to my buddy's house to pick up the yak. I loaded up the yak once I got there and had a short conversation with ReelAnxious, then I was off. I got to SI around 7ish, started fishing about 7:30pm. Right away I started hooking up with really fat sand bass. I was having a blast. I was catching about a 2lb average, a few 3's here and there through out the night. I did not catch an true giants though, however I caught 30+ fish. From about 10pm-1am it was totally dead. I went over to a spot where I catch a lot of sand bass during the slack tide. I managed to catch a handful of small spotties, nothing special. I also caught a small WSB, he was about 16" long. He had some real pretty stripes on him. Once the current started moving good again, I made my way west of the pier. I started catching some more decent size. At the this time I decided I had caught enough small fish and then pulled out a 6" swim-bait and got serious. Very first cast I had a fish break me off. About 30min went by and caught a couple small bass on it, and then hook up with another nice fish. Once again I got broke off. I tied on another 6" swim-bait and went at it again. about an 1hr past by and nothing really. Threw my 4' bait and started catching smaller ones and went back to the 6".At this time, about 3:30am the current was kicking out hard. I made one last very long drift over the structure I was fishing and hook up in another big one. Fight him for a bit while getting towed around. Then all of a sudden my line went slack. What do you know, I broke off again. At this point I am some what frustrated, however I have a hunch that the fish breaking me off are halibut.

I tied on my last 6" swim-bait of the color I poured myself. I told myself that this is it, once it is gone, I am headed home. I moved back up towards the spot where I started. I was throwing the crap out of that big ole swim-bait. I caught a couple decent sand bass on it and decided it was quitting time. So at 5am I made one last cast. I hit the bottom and start bouncing my bait hard. I kind of drug out my last cast a little by drifting down a little ways. I pick it up off the bottom for the last time and it gets TKO'd. My rod tip get pulled straight into the water. I almost had my pole pulled out of my hands. I tell myself that the mystery fish is back! I fight him for about ten minutes. Dumb fish pulled my kayak up current and whore out pretty fast. I get him to the top anxious to see what it is. What do you know, big ole barn door. At this point I realize that my gaff is in my wife's car. I start swearing a little bit. I babied him at the kayak while I tried to figure out how to get him in the boat. I tried getting under his gills, but he was not having it. So I had this bright idea to grab his tail. I somehow managed to get a hold of it, but he shot right out of my hand. He dove down into the water with my rod following him. Luckily I was able to grab it before it went all the way into the water. So I grabbed my net and tried to half way net him while I pulled on him to get him into the boat. I had my mag light standing by for the bashing in my lap. I was able to get a hole of his tail again somehow, but I could not get the net over his head.

I was literally sitting in my kayak at one point with my rod in between my legs, while one arm was all the way in the water trying to reach the halibuts head. The halibut was officially long than my net. I managed to get his head inside after attempting this about 10 times. finally he had enough of it and soaked my butt and swam around on the end of my rod. I pulled out my nail clippers and was about to give up. About that time he freaked out and swam away with my last lucky bait. I consider this a caught fish in my books. He was at least 20lbs I know it. Once I loaded up my kayak, I then pulled out my tape measure and measured my net from the end of the rod to the tip of the net. Came in at 42" and I had to reach past him to get him in the net. He was just a little longer than my net was. So since I could not officially measure him, I calling it 42"/ Still yet a new personal best. Hopefully next time I will be able to get a picture and some steaks out of the deal.

Needless to say I had a very good night fishing and plan on going back out again tonight!

PS. not a good idea to try the net thing on big fish like that. My net finally buckled under the pressure. I think i will have to JB Weld it in the open position to be able and use it again.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:23 AM   #2
Yakin

wow great report bud!!!
You will make sure to remember your gaff from now on huh?!
Old 05-09-2012, 06:44 AM   #3
mtnbykr2

I was there about 3 weeks ago drifting the "spit" with a guy in a shorter center console, he hooked up on a ghost shromp and fought this fish for about 10 mins, I watched him as he fumbled for an extended period of time to get his net out of the holder, thinking to myself, this guy is taking an aweful long time to get that thing in the boat, his boat swung around so I could see the rod bent, he finally got the net to the water, and he pulled a big butt out of the waterand tried to get the tail in the net, this fish was way to big for the net, as he scooped the big butt just took off right into the air straight out of his net and broke his line, btw he had a gaff on board to, he sat there, I could feel his pain as he told me it had only been the third hali he had ever caught and obviously the biggest...
I would have put it at around 40 to 45 inches as I watched it fly, he said "I am not going to get over that one for awhile" that's why they call it "fishin"...
Great report, I love SI, thanks for sharin
Old 05-09-2012, 07:05 AM   #4
lamb

Sounds like a lot of fun!
Old 05-09-2012, 07:10 AM   #5
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Dude you really built up the suspense with this report! Way to go on the great night of fishing. My question is this. Do you think there were a few beasts in that one area our did that one have a set of swimbai dentures with all your swimmies in his mouth?

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
blitzburgh

Great report!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:06 AM   #7
min-va

I think is time for me the buy a gaff

Great report!!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:10 AM   #8
mrJB

Sorry but...
If you can't cook em' or unhook 'em
they're not CAUGHT...
and forget the net. If they're small enough to let go, grab them by hand, if they're big enough that you want to keep, use the gaff.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #9
carbonbass

ive always heard that you cant catch halis at night, guess this disproves it.
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #10
inbx3

A friend of mine told me , if you don't have a gaff grab the largest leadhead you have and try and make a make shift gaff out of it. Try and get him in the mouth or underneath the gills. I know it's gonna be tough but you gotta try something.
inbx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #11
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by inbx3 View Post
A friend of mine told me , if you don't have a gaff grab the largest leadhead you have and try and make a make shift gaff out of it. Try and get him in the mouth or underneath the gills. I know it's gonna be tough but you gotta try something.
Be sure to have the camera running when you try to get a swimbait hook in the mouth of a 40+ in Halibut. And have the lifeguards number on speed dial.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #12
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Be sure to have the camera running when you try to get a swimbait hook in the mouth of a 40+ in Halibut. And have the lifeguards number on speed dial.
That would be an entertaining video wouldn't it.....open wide!!! this won't hurt a bit...
Old 05-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #13
JeffB

I'm not dissociated that he swam away though. I feel accomplished. My biggest halibuts have all came at night. It did not help that he inhaled the bait. My line finally had enough of his teeth.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #14
roadx

nice report Jeff give me a call if you would like some company
Old 05-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #15
slobslayer

Are you still heading out tonight? Do you mind if i meet you up? i know what im doing so you dont have to teach me anything... call me at 619-250-2115
slobslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #16
Amish Ed

Great fishing and great report. Thanks.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #17
paddydigital

One word gaff. Great session even better when you beat your best. Next time
paddydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:12 PM   #18
Big T
Member, You Member!

Aw stop bein' such a pussy and LIP the damn thing next time!!! A lacerated or missing thumb is SOOOO worth the pictures....

THAT WE DIDN'T GET!!
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:15 AM   #19
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJKDAD View Post
A lacerated or missing thumb is SOOOO worth the pictures....
And that would be what you get...besides the trip to the hospital.

Tough luck on the loss. Gaff...never leave the beach without it.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:32 AM   #20
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Well, as long as you learn something and you get home in one piece then it was a good day.

Maybe bust out the knife and shiv it prison-style next time! Stab Stab Stab!

Please don't say you don't have one of those on board either!
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote