Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-30-2016, 09:45 AM   #1
jbl_91762

Corona Del Mar Kelp worth visit??

So search here yielded 2 year old posts about CDM. My original plans was to go back to Headlands DP but my friend is sick and cant go tomorrow. So I was thinking about trying my luck solo at CDM and could use some recent insight. I don't have a fish finder so I cant go straight out of mouth of Newport. I'd be launching from the Coast Guard Lot. Thanks.
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:01 PM   #2
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

I haven't fished there in a long time, but I've had fun throwing around swimbaits in the kelp. Usually smaller calico (10-13").

It'll probably be hard to troll a live bait on the bottom because there are some reefs over there that'll come up 15-20' high and be only a couple feet from the surface, so look out for that of if you're trolling a mac.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2016, 07:36 PM   #3
jbl_91762

Thanks Sil Im hoping since its not fished often that the calico's have grown to keeper size. Hooking up with a new member here this Sat to give it a try and will have live bait. I'll post fish report asap!
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:02 PM   #4
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Nice! Good luck out there. Guys are catching firecracker yellows over there. If it's like Catalina was last weekend, the ticket is 20lb flouro and small #2-1/0 nose hooked sardine to get bit.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2016, 09:57 PM   #5
FleshandBlood

I fished the CDM kelp a few weeks ago. Nothing spectacular in size. If calicos are what you are after give Cabrillo Beach a look. Bass fishermen have been killing the PV kelp lately. Jerk baits seem to be a hot ticket right now too and firecracker yellows are there too. I plan on heading out there early Monday and coming back in before the wind rips. According to Magic Seaweed the surf there is pretty minimal right now. Also toss out a crocodile along the kelp lines. Just my 2 cents.
FleshandBlood is offline   Reply With Quote