Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
Alpinesurfer
Banned

OEX in Mission Bay!

The worst customer service ever! Its pretty pathetic when you get treated like a piece of meat! I went in looking to purchase a new yak. I had demoed a bunch of kayaks a few weeks prior including the Malibu X Factor, I was simply going in to check out the X Factor one more time and take it for another spin just to make sure it was exactly what I wanted, I asked the owner if I could demo it, his response was " haven't you demoed it twice already? " I simply said no it was only once, he told me that it was becoming like a rental. um Like a rental what does that mean? I didn't know that demoing a kayak for 5 to 10 mins was considered a rental now! WOW He went on to say that it was a hassle for them to pull out the kayak and put it in the water and that they have to clean it off after words. Wow I didn't realize that hosing off a kayak was such hard work jeeze! I just dont get people. I thought thats why they opened up that store there in the first place so people could demo kayaks, what happend to the golden rule that our parents taught us when we were young "Treat others how you wish to be treated." I guess some people just never learned that or were never taught that in this matter. Its pretty sad that people can be so ignorant but whatever I guess ill go purchase my kayak some place else some place where people actually care about there customers and treat them with respect instead of treating them as if they are and object. So if your looking to purchasing a new kayak I would think twice before going to OEX in Mission bay!
Old 08-22-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
nunyabizness1
Maggie

I have always known OEX to provide OUTSTANDING customer service. Seriously! They always contribute to the community through various events and fundraisers, they helped me out on a few occasions when I had trouble and worked to give me a good price on my purchases. They have installed equipment on my kayak and turned it around in a very timely manner and offered advice on the best way to go on purchases. They have ALWAYS gone beyond the call of duty with their customer service during the time I have known them. I'm not sure of what happened in your transaction but there are 2 sides to every story. It would be best to talk to the management of OEX to resolve your concerns. I bought my kayak and gear from them and can't imagine going anywhere else!
Old 08-22-2009, 10:04 PM   #3
punchjamesarnol

Maybe they thought you were being a pain in the ass. I stop in every now and then and everyone is helpfull.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:10 PM   #4
punchjamesarnol

Did you get a yak yet?
Old 08-22-2009, 10:20 PM   #5
dgax65
Guerro Grande

OEX in Mission Bay is friggin' awesome

I've spent a fair share of my income at the various OEX stores and I have never been treated with anything but the utmost respect. Even when I would just drop by on my lunch hour to browse, with no real intention of buying, Brent, Brian and CJ have always been friendly and helpful. I've spent LOTS of time in OEX and I have never seen or heard any of the staff be anything other than friendly, helpful and accommodating. They have allowed me to demo yaks and Brent even loaned me his own $400 carbon paddle when I wanted to test one out for a few days. I've seen the staff at OEX go out of their way to provide excellent customer service; even when dealing with some demanding, pain-in-the-ass customer. I can't imagine anybody at OEX behaving in the way you described. I've been a member of this forum for nearly 4 years and I think this is the first time I have ever seen any criticism of the service at an OEX store. I don't think I've ever heard anything but praise for the helpful staff at OEX. That would make you a bit of an anomaly. Hmmmm?

Brent and all the rest of the guys at all the OEX stores have done a helluva lot for the kayak fishing community in Southern California. OEX is either responsible for or has sponsored just about every kayak fishing tournament in the area. They have been instrumental in bringing us some of the best kayak mothership trips in the world, Andy's San O surf clinics, Catalina trips and many other events. OEX also gives us one of the best kayak fishing resources on the internet. The owners and staff have given up much of their own time helping with local kayak fishing organizations, events and charities. And on top of all of that, OEX gives us multiple local stores, carrying most major kayak brands and models. All OEX staff started out as dedicated kayak fishermen before they ever worked at the store. They understand the needs of the kayak fishing community because they are an integral part of that community. They are an invaluable resource for local kayak fishermen. We should be grateful that we have such a resource available to us. Go buy a kayak at West Marine or REI and tell me that you had a better shopping experience. Good luck. You'll pay more, get less and you certainly won't benefit from the expertise and experience of a salesman who is also an avid kayak fisherman.

Brent, John and the rest of the OEX staff; THANKS. You're doing a great job.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:26 PM   #6
pchen911

I'm sure there are alot of people demoing in the store then leaving to buy the model they want on Craigslist.

You can't expect a retail store to keep servicing every demand of every customer... that would be one sure way to go belly up.

In my business, I come across some retail shoppers as well. When it becomes apparent the costs of the sale and aftermarket services is exceeding or going to exceed the margin, it is time to let that customer go. Afterall, a sale can only take place when it is mutually beneficial to both the buyer and the seller.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:43 PM   #7
Alpinesurfer
Banned

OEX Mission Bay

Ok well thats your personal perference man, you make it seem like there god jeeze haha and they sell there boats at the same retail price that REI would take the tarpon 140 for example it retail for 950 what does OEX sell it for hmm 950 what does REI sell it for hmm 950 lets look at paddles now Werner taybee retails for 135 OEX sells it for 135 REI sells it for 135 wow not much of a different the only thing they do there different is install which you can do yourself and save money. im not saying OEX isnt cool i just dont like the Mission bay store or how it is run!
Old 08-22-2009, 11:09 PM   #8
steveooo

I'm going to bed now, but have a feeling this could get ugly by the next time I log on.

My OEX experience FWIW?- Excellent. Always helpful, willing to share knowledge (both kayak tips & fishing tips), great prices and great selection. I wouldn't spend a kayak fishing dime elsewhere.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:51 PM   #9
Alpinesurfer
Banned

well im done with it i said all im going to say i dont have a problem with oex i have a problem with the mission bay store, Got it! if you can read above i talked about that store in particular not OEX as a whole! i was disappointed in the way i was treated and wont be visting that pirticular store end of story!
Old 08-23-2009, 09:55 AM   #10
Rob929

Most of the OEX staff are on this site. Would be good to get their weigh in here. If I were a manager/owner, and read your post I would want to make things right under certain conditions. 1. that you were there in good faith, and truly considering the idea of purchasing a kayak from them, and 2. What you say is what actually went down.. If thats the case, then it would seem you were not treated with the utmost customer service levels. As is usually the case, I am sure there are some mis-communications going on. Without clarification from both sides its just "he said, she said" and benefits no one.. You lose a potentially positive buying experience, and the business loses revenue and referrals. I do not know the guys at Mission bay OEX, and I don't know you, so I am just trying to offer a fair and neutral perspective. I am hoping that someone from this store can make an effort to contact you to try to resolve the feelings you have from a bad shopping experience, and see if they can regain your confidence and possibly your business.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:04 AM   #11
Alpinesurfer
Banned

oex mission

i agree with you man i was just upset because i was seriouly looking at picking up one that day i had the cash right in my pocket all i wanted was to take it out one last time just to make sure this is what i wanted, but with that comment i would rather wait and vist a different location
Old 08-23-2009, 12:17 PM   #12
TORGY

Real quick answer. We do not like to play games. I'm very sorry you felt this way Alpinesurfer but playing OEX stores against each other by getting quotes at one and going to another to have them try to beat it is not something we have time for and not fair to our employees who are working on a commission. Nothing wrong with competitive shopping (we encourage it) but not between our stores.
I welcome you back to OEX Mission Bay anytime to Demo and discuss the comments you made about me and the shop. I have a different prospective of the incident and the purchases you made leading up to this point.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:28 PM   #13
Billy V

OEX has always treated me fair and with respect.

They are Kayak Fisherman, as well as small business owners who contribute in many ways to the betterment of our sport.
-------------------------
Your experience seems to be unique.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:06 PM   #14
Thresher_Cowboy

You deserved it

So how many times did you demo before this without buying a kayak? And you tried to make them compete against themselves for a better price? And now you complain about their customer service? Now it's starting to come together.

I'm in retail too, I would've given you the boot a long time ago. The rest of us will continue to support the best kayak fishing biz in town. I think West Marine has Mainstreams in stock.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:37 PM   #15
nunyabizness1
Maggie

Well the nice thing about this is that everyone has come together in support of OEX. Instead of hurting OEX's reputation, this thread shows how many respect doing business with them. By the way, how many MLPA meetings have you been to? OEX staff has been there to represent! Find something more constructive to do with your time and get out on the water to fish while you still can. Don't knock down one of our own who supports this site and our community. That is all, carry on...

p.s. there's an MLPA meeting in Garden Grove tomorrow night at 7 pm.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:47 PM   #16
paddydigital

I think that the fact you even got to paddle once is better then none. Most shops don't even let you paddle them let alone have the mission bay location. I think if you made it clear your goals were, Brett and CJ would have bent over to help. Sucks you feel that way and you post it here. New shop things can only get better.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:26 PM   #17
ratdog

I have only the best to say about OEX Pt Loma and Mission Bay. I'm not known to the staff at either store except maybe by looks. In 5 years of Kayak fishing these people have been an incredible source of info, help and guidance and it never mattered if I was buying at the time or not. I didn't even by my kayak from them and they treat me right everytime. They are always my first stop kayak shop.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:43 PM   #18
One Rev

I have nothing but good to say about the OEX guys. They have always been professional and cordial with me every time I visit their stores. I appreciate that they stock the stores with some good stuff and you can just walk in and buy it without having to wait two weeks for it to be delivered.
Thanks CJ, Brent and Brian for your service.

Mike
Old 08-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #19
Hypoxic1

Dude, You need to calm down before you embark on your new career. That attitude aint gonna fly where you are going. I have met you when you bought my boat and thought you were fairly evenhanded.
I have spent all of my dollars related to kayaking at OEX and have had nothing but excellent results and top shelf customer service.
Maybe it was a bad day but that doesent earn a rant.

But you are very young and may have felt slighted.

Good luck
Old 08-24-2009, 09:36 AM   #20
tymo
Junior

i was shopping for a cheaper kayak and Cj was very helpful and quick to offer me a test ride of the kayak i was looking for i understand you wanting to make sure you had the right boat, but playing th Oex guys agaisnt each other isnt cool at all
Closed Thread