Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-05-2008, 09:23 AM   #1
Quilted Germ

I'm sinking !!!!

Need some help. My Cobra FND is taking on water like the Titanic. So much that I've considered not using my bait tank, and let the greenies and spaniards swim freely in my hull. It's time to fix it. I have a Kayatank and resealed the two penetrations in the bottom of the hull, but no help. I was thinking about replacing the hoses just in case that's the issue, but I've heard about putting the kayak up on stands and filling up the hull with water, but I'm wondering if the weight of the water creates any problems (breaking the saw horses, buckling the yak, etc.). I'm curious if anyone has any good ideas or methods they've used to fix this type of situation. Thanks for the help.
Quilted Germ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:35 AM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

I put the water in the hull as my last option. Start by just examining the whole kayak. Next check the scuppers by plugging the underside and filling them up with a cup, you need to have the inside of the hull dry to start and look inside for seepage. Plug your in and out of the kayatank, first inside the bladder, fill it up and check, then plug it from the outside thru hull fittings to check the hoses and fittings. I have a sturdy stand to use, most people would just set it on dry pavement and put water in the hull.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:51 AM   #3
pchen911

Send it back to Cobra and have them patch it for you.

That's the beauty of a Cobra kayaks with their lifetime warranty.

I had my navigator repaired by them, they did an excellent job, added foam bulkheads and even put in a hatch for free to get access to the other side of the crack.
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:19 AM   #4
j mo

Gregg,

Sadly I think the ss "Sea Cows" time has come.....
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:37 PM   #5
bentmywookie

My cobra explorer started taking on water. What I did was close all my hatches and opened the drain plug, I then rigged a hand air pump to the drain plug hole and made it as air tight as I could , douse the outside of the yak with car wash soap and pumped away. Bubbles will form wherever air escapes.

I would try this before filling your yak up w/water, oh and also check to make sure your drain plug is water tight too.
bentmywookie is offline   Reply With Quote